Profile for barry usher > Reviews

Content by barry usher

barry usher (polegate, east sussex United Kingdom)

Canon Remote Switch RS-60 E3
Canon Remote Switch RS-60 E3

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent product as one would expect from Canon, 21 Nov. 2015
This is an excellent product as one would expect from Canon. I would add that the packaging it was sent in was 35times bigger than its contents!

Under Milk Wood (BBC Radio Collection)
Under Milk Wood (BBC Radio Collection)
by Dylan Thoams
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 20 Jun. 2014
When Under Milkwood was first braodcast I was a child, but I remember the reaction in the press about a
what was for the time a sexually explicit drama. Now, of course, it is rightly considered a masterpiece. The Reverend Eli Jenkins evening prayer still brings a tear to my eye.

The Box of Delights [DVD] [1984]
The Box of Delights [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

5.0 out of 5 stars The Box of Delights - still delights, 16 Jan. 2014
I am a great admirer of John Masefield, it is a pity that his poetry is no longer in fashion, his narrative work is excellent. I remember "The Box of Delights" from when it was first shown on BBC TV in the 1980s, a well written and well acted drama with the great Patrick Troughton.
The special effects were good for the time, but sadly these days look clunky to say the least. I suppose with modern technology they could be re-shot.
For me this is as much a Christmas treat as "It's a wonderful Life" well worth watching.

Russian Orthodox Chant From Odessa
Russian Orthodox Chant From Odessa

5.0 out of 5 stars Serenity, 8 July 2012
Russian is not my first language, or second/third! You don't need to be able to speak Russian to be moved by the intensity of the singing of the monks of Odessa Seminary. This is a beautifully produced disc which will lift your spirits!

Ed Wood - Orgy Of The Dead [VHS] [1966]
Ed Wood - Orgy Of The Dead [VHS] [1966]
VHS

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 23 Mar. 2003
I enjoy films that are 'quirky', so Edd Wood, who wrote the screenplay, is high on my list of favourite directors.
Any way, 'Orgy of the Dead' embodies many features that I like, poor continuity, shooting day for night and second rate actors.
The 'story':- a 'young' couple after a car crash find themselves in a cemetary where Criswell and Ghoulita hold court. A number of rather plump topless young women dance around the cardboard set. There are a number of lackadaisical ghouls also in attendance.
Oh dear, I see that I have given this film 3-stars, well I like topless girls and its all been a dream . . .

Quatermass And The Pit [VHS] [1958]
Quatermass And The Pit [VHS] [1958]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars A nervous disposition, 23 Mar. 2003
I first saw this live on television when I was 14yrs old. In those days viewers were warned that 'the following programme is not suitable for children or persons of a nervous disposition'.
How right they were, I was terrified!
By to-days standards this is a little slow, but the tension builds up nicely and there are some good scenes. What impressed me was the man being attacked by cups and plates from an all-night coffee stall, and the ground rippling under his fingers as he seeks sanctuary in a church. The grainy B&W film stock that was used by the BBC gives a documentary quality to the film which last about three hours. The only thing that prevents me from giving this 5-stars is that Andre Morell plays Quatermass in a very unsympathetic way.
This is a very good film, the mechanical/opical FX are convincing and best of all it has a strong story-line.
BUY, WATCH, ENJOY!