Profile for Mr. Robert Scott-Norton > Reviews

Content by Mr. Robert Sco...

Mr. Robert Scott-Norton "HadleysHouse" (Southport)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Doctor Who: City of Death (Dr Who)
Doctor Who: City of Death (Dr Who)

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful version, 16 Sept. 2017
It's been a while since I've sat and watched City of Death and so I did what any normal Doctor Who fan would do and read this whilst watching the DVD over the course of a week. The book is a pure treat. James has done a great job in giving us flashes of Adams's literary humour and done the impossible job of making this novelisation as much fun to read as the TV show is to watch.

Dead of Night
Dead of Night

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping thriller that kept me reading late, 10 July 2017
This review is from: Dead of Night (Kindle Edition)
My first Paul Teague novel but won't be my last. Fast paced action thriller. Hectic pace throughout. Recommended to all thriller fans.

Forget-me-not Blues: what lies within the beating heart exposed (Abby Foulkes Mysteries Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A murder. A mystery from the past. A great protagonist., 3 Jun. 2017
It’s been awhile since I’ve got lost in the world of Abby Foulkes and I’ve missed her.
DS Abby Foulkes is fragile, tough, and a mother haunted by her past. This book sees her return to Greece as she investigates a murder from twenty years ago. She meets up with the local police chief and Abby is caught up in historic investigations as well as what’s happening right now.
I like Alison’s writing style a lot. She spends a lot of time crafting believable fallible characters. It’s a balancing act keeping the external tension going whilst giving us a lot of Abby’s personality and internal motivations, but Alison pulls this off with aplomb.
More please.

Auto Rewind (A Novelette)
Auto Rewind (A Novelette)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story. Nostalgic and horrific., 3 Jun. 2017
After reading Jason’s ‘The Last Days of Jack Sparks’ I knew I wanted to read this. It’s a short novelette, but I’d sooner read something concise and expertly written rather than some padded novel. And make no mistake, this is expertly written.
I don’t want to go into the plot because there’s a real danger of spoilers.
The main character loves watching videos and loves his mum. That’s all I’m saying.
Worth a read, then if you’ve not read any of Jason’s other books, treat yourself and pick up his other works.

Email Marketing For Authors: How To Use Email Marketing To Find New Readers (Authors Book Marketing Series 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction that will handhold you through the process, 2 April 2017
We're constantly told that our email lists are our most important assets as authors but it can be overwhelming to get to grips with the technology and process.
Paula handholds you through all of this. Key terms are explained. Popular mailing providers are listed, but the most valuable section for me was what to do with your mailing list when you have it all set up. It's difficult and will differ from writer to writer, but Paula has all the bases covered with sensible suggestions you can start with until you're confident enough to work on your own.
As an introduction to email marketing this is invaluable. If you're looking for more advanced techniques you're probably going to need to look at internet marketing techniques.

The Last Days of Jack Sparks
The Last Days of Jack Sparks

5.0 out of 5 stars Properly had me leaving the lights on, 8 Jan. 2017
I love Jason Arnopp for his Doctor Who association and his love of horror. The last thing I read of his was A sincere warning about the entity in your home, and I had to turn the lights back on after that one.
Jack Sparks is his first novel with his own characters, and it’s sublime.
Jack is a bit of an idiot. A journalist writing books under such topics as Jack Sparks on Drugs, he decides to embark on a new project, Jack Sparks on the Occult. And what happens next is all down to his arrogance and mockery of those who believe more than he does. He travels to Rome to witness an exorcism and that’s when it begins to go wrong for Jack. With scenes written as if you’re relieving the exorcist, it brought chills to my back. When a YouTube video is posted under his own account, purporting to be a real life ghost captured on film, he begins his quest to find the people trolling him.
If only he believed a little bit more.
This book delivered on the horror front in spades. Never boring and managing to find new ways to bring that filmic horror to prose, Jason has written a really entertaining novel.

Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print (Books for Writers 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book for writers, 21 Mar. 2016
I'm a fan of Joanna Penn. As a writer starting out in indie-publishing, it can be a crazy journey working out how to approach your writing as a business. This book is fairly brief but covers succinctly all the areas you need to consider when indie-publishing.

I'll be recommending it to my writers group.

Stone of Fire (ARKANE Book 1)
Stone of Fire (ARKANE Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping adventure thriller - Kept me up reading, 19 Oct. 2015
Morgan Sierra is against the clock to gather sacred stones to save her family. Is she going to do it in time. Do I care?

Yes, I actually do.

There have been comparisons between this and Dan Brown books and I’d agree that I feel the similarities. But whilst some would say that’s a bad thing, I welcome it. It’s a ‘religious quest against time’ book and fits nicely into that genre. I really, really enjoyed it.

Joanna does plenty of research and that absolutely shows in the book with passages bringing the locations and characters to colourful life. I found in some places, I’d have preferred less description just because I was keen to get on with the chase. That’s a personal preference for me though and not a criticism of the writing which is of a superb standard.

To be honest, I’ve had this sat on my Kindle for a while, and am regretting that I left it so long to read. It’s Crypt of Bone for me next. Keep them coming, Joanna!

Making Friends with Anxiety: A warm, supportive little book to ease worry and panic - 2017 edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick read, not sure how useful, 29 Sept. 2015
Much of what is included here is helpful, although I'm not sure how much of this I'm going to be able to use. I think I'd have like some more exercises for coping.

Lady's Slipper: when past and present evils intertwine (Abby Foulkes Mysteries Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Digging up an old mystery leads to trouble for this detective, 20 Sept. 2015
Much as I enjoyed reading Abby Foulke's last mystery, Hibiscus Fruit, I loved seeing Abby in her native environment even more. Abby is still recovering from the events of the last book and still in mourning for her husband, but with her family around her and a new case to get stuck into, she's getting through life.
The new case has all the vibes of a Broadchurch mystery and I loved it for that. An old case with questionable evidence; a new witness; remote settings, all made for a confident coherent story, full to the brim with atmosphere.
There are enough suspects to keep you guessing until the end and with a growing sense of unease building in the last half of the book, I read the last half in one sitting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3