Profile for M. D. Toomey > Reviews

Content by M. D. Toomey

M. D. Toomey

Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360)
Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360)
Offered by Games Heaven

1.0 out of 5 stars Dark Knight Falling, 15 Nov. 2013
I have always thoroughly completed games before reviewing them, but in this case I've had to make an exception. Arkham Origins was released in a near unplayable state, that has me questioning whether the product even went through beta testing at all.

During play I experienced a crash roughly every 45 minutes, sometimes I was able to go back to the dashboard but more than once the system completely locked up and I was forced to turn off the xbox by the mains. Audio is very glitchy, with sound effects and dialogue tracks simply cutting out, seemingly at random; during once of these occasions I restarted the console and began a fresh save, and the error was still present. There are multiple bugs that can completely halt progression through the game, and saves become corrupted and unusable without warning. There is nothing the user can do to prevent this as the game only employs an auto save, if you run into a problem you have to start over. There are a myriad of more minor issues such as graphical faults, things not unlocking when they should and so forth (I have personally encountered the issues listed here, but there seem to be many more affecting other players too). The game is receiving it's third patch soon and most of these issues still have not been addressed, including Save corruption.

These technical issues are particularly inexcusable when much of the code has clearly been recycled from Arkham City (which I highly recommend). The game itself is very similar to it's predecessor, but worse both in story and overall game design; for instance the map is larger but feels sparse and lifeless, gone are the little flourishes like Bruce visiting Crime Alley (it's still there but nothing happens). The camera also seems more problematic this time around, which hinders combat. But the game itself would have still made for a reasonably enjoyable experience, if not for the atrocious state it was released in. I strongly suggest skipping this installment, unless you're a die-hard Batman fan, in which case I recommend you wait as long as possible until the game is patched into a playable state. It's worth noting that the game is set on Christmas Eve, so it's probably a game you will want to play during the season - unfortunately I doubt it will be decent shape until long into the New Year, if ever.

I played the Xbox 360 version, but the PS3 and PC versions appear to be equally broken.