Profile for mevagissey > Reviews

Content by mevagissey

mevagissey

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
by Larry Ullman

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Directly or Immediately Useful for WordPress, 20 Jan. 2017
Depends what you want to do with PHP. I found, after having bought this book, that what I really wanted was a thorough breakdown of how WordPress works and what the various WP PHP files do and how they actually work together. I'm sure that this book would help with that and I am also sure that a true PHP guru wouldn't even need WordPress anyway. But all I want is something that gives me a better understanding so that I can confidently tweak WordPress and get on with my main job of producing content for ourlife.co.uk.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2017 1:13 AM GMT

LETHMIK Aviator Hat Winter Trapper Hunting Hat Russian Earflap Leather Bomber Cap Black gray-XL
Offered by Lethmik

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good All Round and Very Warm, 20 Jan. 2017
At first I wondered why it fits with such a gap above your head. Well that's because that is warmer with an air gap, I guess. Folded down it does come a little low down on my face but doesn't cover my eyes. I am not sure why the peak needs to be fur-lined either. But this is a seriously warm hat, it does have a peak, which I like, to keep both the sun and rain off of my face.Not a bad price either.

Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, No Problem, 20 Jan. 2017
This works no problems. This is the cheaper way to have a 64GB pocket sized drive than a more expensive flash drive.

Seagate Expansion 4 TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted Less than Two Months, 20 Jan. 2017
Lasted less than two months and then inexplicably stopped working.I was only using it with File History with Windows 10. I didn't even do a large back up to it.

Road of Bones: The Siege of Kohima 1944 - The Epic Story of the Last Great Stand of Empire
by Fergal Keane

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm still reading this but having got a third of ..., 19 Jan. 2017
I'm still reading this but having got a third of the way through it I am very impressed. It contains a lot of quotes from soldiers, on both sides, that were in Burma during the second world war and, importantly, it gives little bio sketches of many of the key participants. This is my sort of book. I really am not interested in the high level politics and strategies per se, only as they help form part of the overall story. Fergal Keene has got the balance, between personal accounts, the overall plot and high-level decision making, just right

Avantree 3-in-1 Portable FM Radio with Bluetooth Speaker and SD Card Player, Auto Scan & Save, LED display, Rechargeable Battery - SP850 [2 Year Warranty]
Offered by AvantreeDirect

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought one for half what I paid for this and it's much better reception., 19 Jan. 2017
Very crackly radio and we live right on top of a hill. I bought one for half what I paid for this and it's much better reception.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2017 12:26 PM GMT

USB Floppy Disk 3.0" USB External Floppy Disk Drive Portable 1.44 MB FDD for PC Windows 10/7/8 Windows XP/Vista/Mac(Black)
Offered by Rhinocoeu

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually works on Windows 10. Hooray!, 19 Jan. 2017
Actually works on Windows 10. Hooray! I had a USB floppy before that wasn't very good.I managed to lose it anyway, I guess someone "borrowed" it at work.I bought this one from Amazon seller eSynic and it arrived in three days. To "see" the drive go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers and it will be in the Devices list. Right click on it and select View Files.It then opens up a Windows Explorer for the A: drive. Anyway, I wanted to use it with DosBox to run my old Doom and Doom2 games. All works fine.

Energizer Keychain Light 2xCR2016 Batteries Ref 632628
Energizer Keychain Light 2xCR2016 Batteries Ref 632628
Offered by 7dayshop Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy and nice quality, 11 Feb. 2016
Handy and nice quality. I reckon you could probably drive over one of these and it'd be OK. I bought four of these so far.Energizer Keychain Light 2xCR2016 Batteries Ref 632628

AURAGLOW Super Bright 15w LED B22 Bayonet Light Bulb, Warm White, 3000K - 1521 Lumens - 100w EQV
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and bright without glareing, 11 Feb. 2016
Nice and bright without glareing. Sort of frosted appearence. Warm white is best. "Clear white" is a bit blueish and not like standard electric bulbs (or even candles!) These are warm white. Does give the equivalent to a 100w standard bulb, which is what it replaces, so if it lasts a long time too then is is going to be well worth the cost. I am waiting for these to come out in dimmable too. I got a couple of similar in 12w which are dimmable, so I can wait a whiles for these 16w now. Nice quick delivery by the way too.

John

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
by Timothy Egan

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Opening, 12 Jun. 2014
This is a really useful book. I got started on the American Dustbowl problem in the 1930s by reading John Steinbecks the Grapes of Wrath. The worst Hard Time covers the era and includes lots of anecdotal contributions as well as what Franklin D Roosevelt was doing to help the problem. It gives details of why the problem arose in the first place and the history of the great planes them selves.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4