Profile for Mr. James Huegett > Reviews

Content by Mr. James Huegett

Mr. James Huegett "Norfolk_Jim" (Norfolk, UK)

The Curious Case of the Constipated Cat and other true stories of answered prayer
by Barrie Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentler than Adrian Plass, Barries tales will lift your faith to pray prayers of faith without the superspirituality, 24 May 2016
This is a book about coincidences, as you will very definitely be aware of well before half way through. Coincidences? well, not really, but answered prayers. This is a collection of stories about answered prayer and the God who answers them. Told with a gentle humor, the book will bring encouragement to everyday ordinary Christians and food for thought for everyone else. I've struggled with prayer over the years, although I believe I've seen more than my fair share of answers to my own prayers I'm not a confident prayer by any means; at times I do get discouraged. Then, (and other times too) nothing encourages one quite like the testimonies of others told with humility and a chuckle. Christian readers will , be encouraged, not by astounding miracles but the everyday situations we all find ourselves facing.. I was encouraged and I hope you will be too.
The book is in 2 halves, well actually the second half is more of a third. In it, Barrie writes in a more biographical fashion, sharing some of his life experiences with the church and explaining some of his personal beliefs on exactly what a healthy church should be like and sharing some cautionary tales from those times when things go a little off beam. For someone who has been part of that experience it can be a little uncomfortable - extracting planks from eyes (rather than teeth from mouths) usually is - but we learn and move on.
Barrie was my dentist for many years and he is and always will be my brother in Christ. His gift with the spoken word has brought me great pleasure and contributed to my Christian convictions and understanding. Gentler than Adrian Plass; Barries tale will lift your faith to pray prayers of faith without the super-spirituality. It certainly encouraged me afresh in my prayer life.

The Cross-Centered Life: Experience the Power of the Gospel (Lifechange Books)
The Cross-Centered Life: Experience the Power of the Gospel (Lifechange Books)
by C. J. Mahaney

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant author but a high price, 27 July 2003
Be aware that this is a very little book! I was mortified when I recieved my copy considering the price and the postage, it can hardly weigh 100g and has only 70 odd pages. Now that the bad news is out of the way, those pages are packed with a superb message put forward with the quality and passion you would expect from C.J.Mahaney. Impacting stories and examples are used to good effect to impart the message that the rich and full Christian life is a Cross centred life. I will gladly buy copies as gifts for burnt out friends but hopefully in bulk so I wont get stung by the postage. Why not combine it with another order that gets you free postage. A quality, if brief read

No Well-worn Paths
No Well-worn Paths
by Terry Virgo

5.0 out of 5 stars No typical autobiography, 2 Dec. 2001
This review is from: No Well-worn Paths (Paperback)
Terry succeeds magnificently in presenting not only his own history but also that of the Charismatic renewal and New Frontiers International, the stream of churches most closely associated with the author. I was initialy reluctant to even read this book, autobiographies being of little interest to me, but so many friends were hungrily devouring the pages that I eventualy caved in and bought a copy. I'm glad I did, it has been tremendously valuable to me and not at all autobiographical in any negative sense. As someone who turned to Christ inside the past decade it has been eye opening to catch the whole history of this significant teacher and minister in the apostolic vein. He has placed his own story in the midst of the bigger picture and it has been inspirational to read who and how various "streams" and names have tied in together to form the richer tapestry. In doing so Terry has provided a very readable book that will prove informative to all who have any interest in what has been happening (primarily but not only) in the church in the UK. I wholeheartedly recommend it to Christians of all persuasions, charismatic and non charismatic, since a better understanding of our roots and those things that have shaped who we are can hopefully help to overcome misunderstanding and inspire unity in diversity.

Complete Nutrition: How to Live in Total Health
Complete Nutrition: How to Live in Total Health
by Michael Sharon

5.0 out of 5 stars A great help for everyone starting to think about their diet, 26 Mar. 2000
I borrowed this book from the library and having read it decided I had to have a copy on hand. It is packed full of information in an interesting, accessable way. Dr Sharon writes in a motivational way without ever getting pushy. I learned a lot about nutrition and what effect it and the lack of it has on our bodies. Our whole lifestyle is covered because lifestyle affects nutrition. I was glad the book didn't push vegetarianism down my throat but I wasn't so keen on just a couple of references to things like Silva mind control. One gets the impression that Dr Michael is genuinly out to do his readers a lot of good. I've been motivated to change my diet as a result of this book and I'm feeling good, how much better a recommendation can I give it. Excellent.