Profile for UK Lad > Reviews

UK Lad "UK Lad" (UK)

Berghaus Men's Verdon II Hoody Jacket - Blue Lemonade/Blue Lemonade, Large
Berghaus Men's Verdon II Hoody Jacket - Blue Lemonade/Blue Lemonade, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 April 2016
Great fit, excellent mid layer. Love it.

Mini 300 Lumen Cree Q5 Zoomable And Focus Adjustable Led Flashlight Torch Wit
Mini 300 Lumen Cree Q5 Zoomable And Focus Adjustable Led Flashlight Torch Wit
Offered by Magic&Gorgeous

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap faulty rubbish - avoid, 1 Jan. 2015
The short of this review is this torch does NOT work.

I received my torch after around 3 weeks of waiting. When it arrived it looked impressive, but it's never worked.

I've tried normal batteries and I've tried the batteries the seller suggested when I contacted them for help. They didn't work either.

I asked the seller to resolve the situation but they are just delaying by asking me to send photos of the faulty product. Not sure how this will prove anything, but they know I have a torch from them. A photo won't show anything else.

This torch does not work and the seller won't resolve the situation.

You get what you pay for. AVOID!

Nicola Spring 5 Photo Wooden Hanging Picture Frame - 6 x 4"
Nicola Spring 5 Photo Wooden Hanging Picture Frame - 6 x 4"
Offered by Rinkit Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertised, good quality, 14 Mar. 2013
If you want a frame that looks like the picture on this item and is built well then this is it.

Cheap, as advertised and made well. Can't say much more than that except that similar products in my local frame shop are around twice as much. Got a good price here.

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini Laptop
Offered by XY Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Video but no audio, 14 Mar. 2013
Compared to Apple's expensive offerings this cable is good value. It allows me to display straight from my 2012 Macbook Pro to my LCD TV with ease via the HDMI port.

The only downside I found for this item is that it doesn't support sound. You get video displayed on the TV screen but no sound at all. You have to rely on the rather quiet speakers of the Macbook Pro. Not a massive problem unless you're watching a movie form the laptop to the TV in which case everyone in the room has to be quiet or you won't hear a great deal.

Cheap and cheerful.

Crumpler Cupcake Slim Photo Backpack for Camera
Crumpler Cupcake Slim Photo Backpack for Camera

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, but Crumpler brand lets it down., 14 Mar. 2013
I was after a decent camera bag for my Micro Four Thirds camera. I had to carry that and several lenses with me, safely and without looking like a camera geek / techie. I'm a hobby photographer, not a professional, so I don't want to stand out as carrying a load of camera kit.

I've used Crumpler products in the past and I quite like them. They're made well, they look good and they seem to protect my expensive items well too. They're often expensive, but shop around as I did and someone's normally got a sale on somewhere. In this case I found this bag on Amazon for half the price that it was on sale elsewhere - bonus!

I still to this day cannot understand why camera bags are so expensive when they are just bags with dividers, but as it's a specific market it appears they can charge what they want for them.

My bag arrived within 2 days. Fantastic delivery speed. It was for some reason packed in a huge cardboard box that I could have fit a 32" TV in, but that's not a major problem, it just made me laugh that my bag was rattling around inside it.

The bag itself is well made. It feels strong and the padding gives confidence that casual knocks and bumps shouldn't be a massive problem for my expensive lenses and camera inside. There are also some nice little pouch areas where I've managed to stash a small book, USB cable, lens filters, lens adaptor and a couple of other small items.

The shoulder straps are a little stiff but I'm sure over time they'll become more comfortable and less rigid. I've also noticed that the bag isn't waterproof but as it's not advertised as such I don't put this down as a problem. In fact you can buy a rain cover for it if you intend to shoot in poor weather but as I don't have a rain proof camera I doubt I'll really need it anyway - if it rains I'll come home.

So far so good. With the above considered and the bag's good looks the camera is pleasing me rather well. However you'll notice I've only given it 3 out of 5 stars. I'll explain why.

The bag is a good bag, no doubting that. Sadly it's let down by Crumpler's customer service / policies. When you receive the bag you'll only get a set amount of separators inside it. These are moveable so you can customise your layout depending on what kit you have. This is a good thing as we all have different sized lenses, cameras and varieties in kit. The problem is that you get what you're given and no more!

Being a MFT camera owner my camera is slightly smaller than the average DSLR or similar types of camera. I still have the lenses and other kit to carry around and I still need to separate them. Unfortunately the standard number of separators mean I am unable to secure my camera without it moving around the bag leaving it likely to be damaged. No problem I thought, I'll buy some more. I contacted Crumpler via email, asking to buy more separators but to my surprise they refused. They stated it's not something they do and as such I couldn't have any more, even if I was willing to pay for them! I tried to then find separators all over the internet but to my surprise nobody appears to sell such a thing.

I find a way to secure my camera in this bag but it involves using bubble wrap. I bulk my camera up with around 3 foot of bubble wrap to hold it in place with the inadequate number of dividers. This makes it a pain to remove the camera and put it back between use and it kind of makes a mockery of an expensive bag bought precisely to look after my camera. It also seems odd that these bags are more expensive because of their unique features in being made to carry camera kit and being customisable to your kit, yet they won't let you buy the number of dividers you need!

Crumpler's lack of business sense and customer service here seriously lets down what otherwise could be a fantastic bag, reducing it's score from 5 stars to 3. They're missing a trick here because they could sell the dividers at a good price to make more profit and they could keep us customers happy. Shame...

Kenko 46-52 Step Up Ring
Kenko 46-52 Step Up Ring

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should, doesn't cost the Earth., 14 Mar. 2013
There's not much I can write about this item. It's a step up ring, it doesn't do a great deal, but what it does it does well.

If you have filters for a 52mm lens that you want to fit on a 46mm lens then this product will allow that to happen. Better still it costs very little compared to some products available elsewhere.

Delivery time was average and the build quality of this item is fine. Fits to my Panasonic lenses without any issues and it's a comfy, safe, secure fit. Doesn't chew the threads either.

Neewer 52 mm ND2 to ND400 ND Fader Neutral Density Adjustable Variable Filter
Neewer 52 mm ND2 to ND400 ND Fader Neutral Density Adjustable Variable Filter
Offered by Happy Sales UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! You get what you pay for!, 14 Mar. 2013
I'd been considering a Neutral Density filter for a few weeks, but I was often put off the prices commanded by the more well established brands. I didn't want to pay top price just to play about with an ND and see if it suited my photography or not. With that in mind I headed to Amazon to search for a cheaper alternative.

I was rather happy when I found this ND on Amazon. It was cheap and better still it was adjustable meaning I could vary the level of filter rather than having several different filters of varying strengths. Bonus!

The delivery was quick and the item was well packed - so far so good. Sadly this is where my happiness ended with this product.

The filter does offer 'some' level of ND filtering, but unfortunately you very much get what you pay for here and the product is very poor. The problem is that the adjustable element of this filter meant that all my photographs showed lines across them which appeared to move depending on the adjustment of the filter. This means that the adjustable elements, the moving parts of the filter, are visible to the camera even though I couldn't see them with my eyes. Every single shot taken with this filter was therefore ruined and the filter is useless.

I'm shoot with a Panasonic GX1 for this review by the way. I tried it on a zoom lens and then with an adaptor on a 14mm pancake lens. The problem appeared on both lenses in exactly the same way.

So if you me you are trying to save some cash on a filter then I'd strongly advise you do NOT purchase this one. Yes it's cheap, but there's a reason for that, it's useless. Spend a little more and get a useable product rather than something cheap that will be binned very quickly.

I am very disappointed with this product and after many years of happiness shopping on Amazon for expensive and cheap items this has surprised me somewhat. This is eBay tat on Amazon. Be warned!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2013 4:42 PM BST

Mophie Juice Pack Plus Case 2000 mAh and Rechargable Battery for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Offered by Deals For You GB

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality lets down a great idea, 11 Jun. 2012
I purchased this case for my iPhone 4s in June 2012.

Firstly I need to clear something up, this DOES fit the iPhone 4s perfectly despite what other reviews have said. If yours doesn't then check the device with Mophie to ensure you have a genuine product as there have been fakes sold on the internet in the past.

Having seen a friend's charger case on their iPhone I realised what a great addition they were to smart phones. You could enjoy protection for your phone while also enjoying extra battery life. If you're someone like me who uses their phone for photos, GPS, the odd bit of gaming and general web browsing then a battery pack is a must to avoid being left without a phone for parts of the day while away from home. So in theory this product should have been perfect for me. Sadly the build quality of the Mophie let it down...

Protection:
This case will offer some form of protection for your phone, but remember it's also a battery charging device and as such normal protective cases will offer more protection for your money - obviously as the cost of no battery charging. So with this in mind consider that this will offer less protection than more solid built cases.
It's also worth noting that this does nothing for protecting your screen, you will need a screen protector separately if you purchase one of these cases.

Battery Life:
The all important part of the case. You're looking at a larger charge case which means it's slightly bulkier than the lower capacity models. So with that in mind you want a lot more 'juice' for your cash. I found that this case gave me an extra 2 hours usage on my iPhone and didn't quite manage to fully charge the phone when it was warning me it's battery level was nearly empty. It was only a slight charge under a full battery, but don't expect a full charge from this case.
Another down side is that the case takes a long time to fully charge. The case's charge is measured in 4 lights at the bottom of it. To get all 4 fully lit I've had to leave it on charge for around 6 to 7 hours! Working out that I get around 2 hours extra use from my iPhone 4s for that charge makes it look less than economical...

Build Quality:
This is where the case lets itself down sadly.
Within just TWO days of ownership I had two wear mark on the case. This usage was simply placing the phone, within the case, in to my pocket in my jeans and generally walking. Within these two days the nice feeling rubber coating from the back of the case had worn completely through to the bare shiny plastic underneath. The wear marks were in the same spots on either side and around 5-6mms each. Very noticeable and while they don't stop the case from working they do ruin the appearance of it and also cause you to question just how much protection this case will give your phone.
Further to the above, around ONE week later the front of the case has also started to loose it's rubber coating in several areas, revealing the plastic underneath. Again this is just from being left in my pocket while walking. I have not dropped the phone and it's not come in to any rough use.
Another more major problem is that the micro USB charging port on the case is also faulty after ONE weeks use! At first this was fine, no issues, but the last few days I've noticed the case won't charge. You have to fiddle with the USB lead, moving it back and forth several times, to get a connection with the micro USB port suggesting to me that it's loose inside.
Such issues after only 1 weeks use cause me serious concerns about the long life aspect of this product and I'm currently in the process of asking the seller for a replacement, hoping my case was just a one off defected model - I'll update this review accordingly when this is resolved to let you all know what happened and if it's all resolved.

All in all this should have been a great case and had it worked how I hoped I'd be giving it top marks. Sadly the poor build quality and other issues above mean it's a good idea built bad. It's a shame because my friend's case, from another brand, works flawlessly and is also smaller in form too. I don't feel I can recommend this product based on my experiences so far sadly...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 7:55 PM BST

Nikon COOLPIX S3100 Compact Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very reliable, 4 Oct. 2011
We've had 2 of these cameras and both have been great initially. They take nice photos for a simple point and shoot camera - obviously not comparable to an SLR, but you're paying peanuts for something to take quick snaps, not get perfect photos.

The problem is after a few months of ownership these cameras started to cause us problems. The lens gets stuck outside the camera and refuses to retract. There doesn't appear to be anything you can do about this except return it under warranty.

It's a shame because it's a nice point and shoot camera, but it's just not reliable in my view....

The Police Selection Process
The Police Selection Process
by Ian Colin Hutchison

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book for police officer recruits, 8 Jun. 2007
I bought many books during my recruitment process, mainly on the recommendation of others. I bought books to practice numerical tests, verbal tests, book on the recruitment process and all were pretty good. Then I came across this book.

This has everything in one book. Without a doubt the best book I bought for the recruitment process and the most confidence boosting before the assesment centre. The examples and tests in this book prepared me and with that I passed the assesment centre and the rest of the recruitment process.

Many of the books available online help, but this one seems to be the most accurate and gives you the idea of what to do to pass.

I can't recommend this book enough to anyone wanting a career as a police officer in England or Wales (not sure if it would be of help to Scottish forces as their recruitment process appears to be quite different).