Profile for K Right > Reviews

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Unconvincing account of a pretentious teenager, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
This was a book I'd heard so much about with people raving about how brilliant and heartbreaking it was but to be honest I wasn't impressed. It's a fairly easy read with a smooth writing style so it makes for decent holiday reading and while on the whole it was disappointing it did have some funny/endearing moments. However my main issue was I didn't like the characters, especially Hazel, as they often seemed pretentious and unrealistic with the dialogue leaving my eyes rolling away in my head and me wanting to tell them to get over themselves. As an 18 year old I can say that I don't know anyone who talks like that and quite frankly I'm glad of it. So in my opinion John Green failed to write a convincing book from the view of a 17 year old and that ruined it for me.

The Protestant Reformation briefly explained (A grade history lectures Book 16)
The Protestant Reformation briefly explained (A grade history lectures Book 16)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear Concise Commendable, 31 July 2013
This is a brief explanation but regardless of this the author fits a remarkable amount of information into this little download. It explores various factors ranging from the use of the printing press to the spread of humanism in a way that is both easy to follow and undeniably enjoyable.

A subject such as this is something that could easily fill several large books so it is to the author's credit that he has limited himself in the writing of this book so that he gives the impression of covering the topic extensively without exhausting the reader.

At the end of the book the author has included a few recommendations of books that interested individuals can read in order to further explore the subject. Since reading this book I have pursued a few of the author's recommendations, namely the works of Eamon Duffy.

Overall I would recommend this book to students and the historically curious as it satisfies a casual interest in the Reformation and could easily spark something more serious!