Profile for Mr. J. D. Rhodes > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. D. Rhodes

Mr. J. D. Rhodes "John" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 Tent
Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 Tent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tent, 27 Feb. 2017
Weighs nothing, is tough enough for normal hiking, plenty of room inside, good roomy exits, porch big enough for your boots and rucksack, pretty good in the wind. Great tent.

Amazon Echo, Black
Amazon Echo, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 27 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Amazon Echo, Black (Electronics)
Great. I wouldn't leave a bad review or it might lock me out of the house.

Beyerdynamic T5p Generation 2 High-End Portable Headphones
Beyerdynamic T5p Generation 2 High-End Portable Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible sound for portable headphones, 27 Feb. 2017
For all-purpose high quality headphones these are exceptional and probably unique. They are closed back with reasonable isolation and have such low impedance and high sensitivity they can be driven directly by a phone. They are light, comfortable, compact (for over-ear) and don’t look flashy or expensive. They clamp well to the head and don't move about. They sound amazing out of an ibasso dx90 and a Burson amp. The sound stage is so good they don’t sound like closed back headphones at all. Those forward pointing drivers just project the sound right out of the box and it is truly 3D. The base is punchy and controlled and the treble has good presence but not fatiguing or sibilant. I mainly listen to classical music and initially thought there was too much base (my other headphones are AKG 702) but now I think they are great for classical and far less fatiguing than the AKGs. The AKGs are probably more accurate but the T5p are more pleasant to listen to and the soundstage just blows the AKG away and makes them seem lifeless. Puts me right in the Albert Hall. I initially intended these headphones for portable use with my ibasso player but now I think they sound better than the AKG 702 in my Burson amp and they also sound great straight out of an iphone so they are truly one size fits all. The only negatives are:
- It’s great that they are plastic and faux leather rather than heavy wood an sticky lambskin but the price seems high to me for the build.
- They seem very sturdy but the adjustable part of the headband is not great. I think I have an average head size for a 6ft bloke but I need them extended just short of max and at this point the adjustment clicks don’t work very well. I actually had to return a pair because the clicks were so loose it would almost adjust under its own weight. (I actually had to return two pairs because on the first pair the metal beyerdynamic trim had come off! - £700 headphones!! Bonkers.)
- They come with a high-quality box but it’s bigger than it needs to be and not practical for carrying them around. A sturdy bag would have been better in my view.
- Isolation is ok but not that good. I wouldn’t wear these in the office.

I was very disappointed with the build issues but since I rate them 6 out of 5 for sound quality and practicality I’m still giving them 5 points. The pair I have are rugged and I have never read anything bad about build quality for these so I guess I was just unlucky. Needless to say Amazon was great in replacing them.

AKG Y50BT Portable Foldable On-Ear Rechargeable Bluetooth Headphones - Black
AKG Y50BT Portable Foldable On-Ear Rechargeable Bluetooth Headphones - Black
Offered by Richer Sounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good, 19 Nov. 2016
Bigger and heavier than I expected and consequently not the most portable phones but sound is incredibly good.

NuForce uDAC-3 - sound card
NuForce uDAC-3 - sound card

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good, 19 Nov. 2016
When I first opened this I thought wtf! It's tiny! Then I saw it had no power supply and was concerned how it would fare with power hungry AGK 702s. Fact is it sounds excellent. It's conveniently tiny but they should have probably made it bigger to give it more gravitas!

Foto&Tech IR Wireless Remote Control for Sony Alpha Cameras A9, A7R II, A7 II, A7 A7R A7S A6500 A6300 A6000 A55 A65 A77 A99 A900 A700 A580 A560 A550 A500 A450 A390 A380, NEX-7 NEX-6 NEX-5T NEX-5R
Offered by Foto & Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars This works great for Sony A7, 19 Mar. 2016
This works great for Sony A7. Just enable remote in menu and it works. It's small and simple. There is an immediate fire and a 2s delay for selfies.

Sorbothane Sorbo-Pro Total Control Insoles Red Size:11-12 UK
Sorbothane Sorbo-Pro Total Control Insoles Red Size:11-12 UK
Offered by Wisdens Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for hiking, 16 Feb. 2016
I have done a lot of long distance walking and have been using this product for years. When you buy boots allow a little extra space for these and immediately throw away the insoles that come with the boot. Even expensive boots have poor insoles. These are excellent. Be aware they take slightly more room than normal insoles.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter - Nikon Nikkor F Mount D/SLR Lens to Sony Alpha E-Mount Mirrorless Camera Body

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beleive how good my old Nikon lenses are on the A7R, 16 Feb. 2016
This works really well with A7R and Nikon AIS lenses (50/f1.4 and 135/f2.8). I only bought a cheap adaptor because I didn't expect the lenses to work that well but the quality of them is incredible. The 50/f1.4 is excellent corner to corner and far superior to the native Sony/Zeiss 35/f2.8! I wasn't expecting that at all so this adapter is definitely playing its part. It's a same that the E-mount is die-cast rather than a proper metal mount but it fits well and does the job and is amazing value for money.

Gariz Genuine Leather Adjustable Neck Strap 118cm Min - 136cm Max Black
Gariz Genuine Leather Adjustable Neck Strap 118cm Min - 136cm Max Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice but beware the length, 16 Feb. 2016
This is nice and really well made and well designed apart from one thing: it's too long for me and I'm 6ft tall. I tend to just hang a camera off my shoulder and not right across my back and even on the shortest setting I find it too long. I like the camera in the small of my back so it doesn't bounce around. I was going to return it but in the end I bunched a new hole in the leather with a knife.

Gariz Leather Half Case for Sony Alpha A7 / A7R (Black)
Gariz Leather Half Case for Sony Alpha A7 / A7R (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, feels great, the fit is great and the quality is great, 16 Feb. 2016
There are two things about this case that mean you are going to either love it or hate it and reviews are probably not going to help much. It adds a quarter inch to the height and thus increases the size of this tiny camera. It increases the girth of the grip an changes what is an excellent grip on the A7. Personally I don't have a problem with either of these. It looks great, feels great, the fit is great and the quality is great. I don't have a problem with the fatter grip at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3