Profile for S. Finch > Reviews

Check Strap - Supplied in assorted colours
Check Strap - Supplied in assorted colours
Offered by GADGETS4TRAVEL

5.0 out of 5 stars Well spotted, 28 Mar. 2015
I used this on a recent trip to Australia which involved both long haul & a number of internal flights. The adjustable strap made my dark blue case (one of many) very easy to spot even from the far side of the conveyor belt. It seems very strong & sturdy. I found the clip a bit stiff but I do not have very strong hands (struggle with sauce bottles etc) but this of course is no bad thing for the purpose. I was pleased to receive the colour I hoped for.

The Telling Error: Culver Valley Crime Book 9
The Telling Error: Culver Valley Crime Book 9
by Sophie Hannah

1.0 out of 5 stars A telling error indeed, 28 Mar. 2015
Sophie Hannah's early books were so good but have recently been very disappointing - I vowed not to buy any more. However this one seemed quite promising from the blurb so I decided to give her another chance. Big mistake - absolutely awful - a mix of unlikeable characters caught up in a convoluted improbably plot. I nearly gave up in it on more than one occasion (even had a look at the reviews here to help me decide) but eventually I did make it to the end as I had nothing else to read. I can confirm that it did not get any better so if in doubt I recommend giving up. "The telling error" was just the right title - a story that should never have been told.

Leaving Time
Leaving Time
by Jodi Picoult

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, well structured & original but not her best., 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Leaving Time (Hardcover)
I quite enjoyed the book - the stories of the elephants to me were the most interesting (although not liked by some reviewers) although as a memory researcher myself I noticed that the author's remarks on some of the newer findings (e.g. mirror neurons) were stated as fact rather than still open to debate. Yes - the ending was a surprise so I'll say no more. Possibly it might be interesting to re-read it in the light of what you know.
Three stars only as I found some of the main story line & characters unbelievable & the psychic & drunken detective rather stereotyped. After whales and elephants though I'd rather go back to the author's original novels which examined an issue from various perspectives.

Life After Life
Life After Life
by Kate Atkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the first half of the book & was planning to recommend it to my friends but then it seemed to lose its way. It was also It certainly lost me around page 400 - I decided my one life was too short to waste struggling through another 200 pages. The move seemed to be away from changing one thing to alter the course of events to one of living alternative lives - a felt it was becoming a different. Perhaps it might have worked better as two? Three stars for the promising start.

Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope)
Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope)
by Ann Cleeves

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 21 Aug. 2014
I finished reading this latest Vera book in the early hours of this morning. I'm glad I resisted the urge to watch it on TV a while back (although I have recorded it). Silly idea to release on TV ahead of publication, especially when an earlier title The glass room does not appear to have been shown (unless I missed it).

Wrongful Death
Wrongful Death
by Lynda La Plante

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after a promising start. Warning contains spoilers., 24 July 2014
This review is from: Wrongful Death (Paperback)
Promising start, but as other reviewers (see hardback reviews) have said not the best. Unbelievable plot which becomes increasingly complicated (yet solved almost overnight with the help of a new lover). The long suffering Joan was not the only one to be lost - I had to keep looking back. Anna is becoming Wonder Woman - not only did she solve this case but also a cold case, which had previously defeated the FBI academy, in one day. I'm not really sure that her brief visit to Quantico really added much other than a new lover to spend her time with while her ex lover & boss played a minor part in catching an old enemy. The visiting FBI agent seemed rather stereotyped in an aggressive, close minded, ambitious sort of way. I think I would prefer it now if Mike Lewis became the lead character much preferred Anna in the early books.

Rise of the Continents [DVD]
Rise of the Continents [DVD]
Dvd ~ Professor Iain Stewart
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great series from Iain Stewart, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Rise of the Continents [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed studying geomorphology for A level but this series really brought it to life. You can always really on Iain Stewart for a good series - just wish the BBC would release Journeys into the ring of fire on DVD. Loved the bit with the alligator. Which bit? Watch it and see, and enjoy the rest of the series - great views even for those not interested in geomorphology - plus the chance for a close up view of places a view most of us will never visit.

Garnier Belle Color Permanent 5.5 Natural Light Auburn
Garnier Belle Color Permanent 5.5 Natural Light Auburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Great colour, 1 April 2014
I've been using Belle Colour 5.5. for many years but recently have had problems finding it in the usual Morrisons & Tescos. After contacting Garner I'm told it is still available but to reduced suppliers. Daft idea. So I was relieved to discover it is available via Amazon.

Bobby Vee Meets The Crickets + 7 bonus tracks
Bobby Vee Meets The Crickets + 7 bonus tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars A great favourite revisited, 18 Mar. 2014
I love this album which I have on vinyl & CD. However what idiot wrote the blurb on Amazon? Bobby only known for one hit in the country???????????????? Rubber ball - popular but not his best. What about The night has a thousand eyes & the brilliant Sharing you and Please don't ask about Barbara. One of my all time favourites singers & albums.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2015 11:42 PM BST

The Thirteenth Tale
The Thirteenth Tale
by Diane Setterfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the TV version, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Thirteenth Tale (Paperback)
I had not come across this book until it was dramatised on TV over Christmas. Despite knowing the ending (which I will not reveal) I decided to purchase the book itself which I have just finished. I strongly recommend anyone who enjoyed the TV version to read the book. Although the plot is essential the same (it deviates a bit towards the end) it provides much more depth to the characters, especially that of the narrator, Margaret Lee. Very well written and difficult to put down.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6