Profile for Dan90 > Reviews

Content by Dan90

Dan90

Samsung 550P5C 15.6 inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5GHz, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD SuperMulti DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great laptop!, 24 July 2012
Yes it's great and I agree with the other people who have given this a great rating, runs a lot of modern games on ultra or Highest graphics settings, one thing i'm writing this review for is to optimise the colour of the display:

Colours normally look washed out and dull but this can be improved by going to: ControlPanel>Display>CalibrateColor
From here turn the gamma down to lowest/darkest settings and colours stand out and are much more vivid, only flaw of the laptop solved.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2012 9:02 AM BST

TP-LINK TL-WN722NC 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN722NC 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on great on my Win7 64 bit ultimate & Linux Ubuntu 12.XX, 28 April 2012
Works on great on my Win7 64 bit ultimate & Linux Ubuntu 12.XX with really good signal, can only compare it to my old Belkin N wireless F5D8053, the signal strength I receive using the TP-Link wireless is a bit stronger and I'm now picking up a lot more of my neighbours' wireless access points.

Good solid connection all the time, no dropping out; the reason I had to replace my old adapter.

I didn't need this adapter for it's high gain feature and don't know how this compares to similar products but for me it gives me a solid high speed connection all the time so I'm happy.

Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X ATX Motherboard (ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 2 with DIGI+ VRM)
Offered by CCL Computers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Motherboard!, 2 April 2012
Great motherboard, I bought this as an upgrade to my Asus M4a88TD-M evo as I wanted to be able to upgrade to an SLI setup and this seems like a good priced motherboard to do so.
Initially I ordered the Asus M5A97 PRO only to find out it didn't support SLI, it only supported Crossfire, Amazon were really helpful in returning my product. Don't buy the other one unless you have ATI cards; but this motherboard gives you the ability to switch between the two card types even in multi-GPU setups.

Bought a new processor as well, got the AMD fx-8120, an AM3+ processor, and it worked straight away. I still upgraded the bios of the motherboard to "BIOS 0901" and still worked fine, looks as if there's a new BIOS been released recently "BIOS 1102" but from reading other reviews it seems a bad idea to upgrade bios unless something goes wrong with my setup.

The latest pack of utilities on the asus download page gives you over-clocking utilities, fan control utilities & sensory information:

Easily over-clocked my system using TurboV EVO, just a click of a button, analysed my computer, over-clocked CPU to 3.9Ghz and everything is stable.
Used EPU to manage my fan speeds, along with Fan Xpert. Set EPU mode to AUTO, and in fan Xpert changed my Chassis fan to silent setting, computer is very quiet until I start gaming, then all fans come on when necessary; without the settings the computer fans can become very noisy even if your computer is on idle; worth setting the utilities up.

OK my motherboard is only 2 weeks old but I would hope it will last for many years, my last Asus motherboard was reliable so I'd imagine I will have no problems with this one.

C++ for Game Programmers (Charles River Media Game Development)
C++ for Game Programmers (Charles River Media Game Development)
by Mike Dickheiser

5.0 out of 5 stars Best C++ Book I have read!, 17 Mar. 2012
I'm currently in my 3rd year of a computer games degree and I did c++ as one of my modules; however this book far surpassed the level of knowledge that my course taught me.

I recommend this book to anyone who is going to do a c++ module at university level or anyone who is thinking of applying to get a job in the games programming field; c++ tests for games development companies are very tough but this book covers a lot of the required knowledge.

How this book helped me: I managed to pass a c++ test set by the computer games development competition known as "Search for a Star" aimed at final year computer science students; I am one of the top 25% of students that has made it through to the second round but I would have stood no chance if it weren't for this book.

LUPO Water and Shock Resistant Universal Compact Digital Camera Bag Case - BLACK (Internal Size: 95 x 65 x 20mm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS16, 11 Jan. 2012
Perfect size for my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS16.

Seems to give a good level of protection and is amazing for the price.

Orange Pay As You Go Micro Sim Card
Orange Pay As You Go Micro Sim Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine and easy to set up., 10 Jan. 2012
The sim card works fine in my Iphone 4s, easy to set up. Put sim in phone, your phone number is written on the package you receive.

It seems as if some people were having problems getting an online account:
To get an online account for the sim card just reset the one which is already linked to the sim card(there's a forgot password link on account login page), using the phone number as the username(This step did take a long time for me, took about 25 mins for orange to send me a security reset code by text, just make sure you keep your browser open, I also called 450 and chose my orange animal while waiting, so maybe you're meant to do that before resetting, not sure).
After choosing a new password for your account, had to wait a few more minutes before I could log into the Orange accounts page, next step enter new personal information and enter the 4 digit pin code which is written on the package you get.

Done!!!