Profile for Steven Woodhouse > Reviews

Steven Woodhouse

Moto X 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Moto X 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect handset., 21 May 2014
Well, I've owned all of the iPhones, ok but boring, HTC one, good phone, well built, god fed up of sense 5, LG G2, best of the bunch up to yet, brilliant screen, bit plasticky but all in all a good handset, but too big for the pocket on a night out. So i brought my Moto X off amazon for a little under £300. The size of the thing was first what attracted me to it. Its what i think the perfect size for a handset for everyday use. Okay, it doesn't have the latest processors etc etc but it isn't slow by any means. In fact in daily use i haven't noticed it being any slower than any of the handsets mentioned above. Motorola have done a good job with the Moto X. The screen is again not the highest spec on paper but is really bright and text is very easy to read, even with my eyes. I did read some reviews regarding poor battery life but in my experience after what i call everyday use, i.e. calling, texting, bit of gaming, bit of surfing, bit of video watching it gets me through the day easily with still around 40% battery remaining. (tons better than iphone5s) Motorola have put a few nice little touches to the phone, firstly, Moto Migrate, allowing you to transfer all of your contacts emails etc etc using an app downloaded to your old phone, simple and easy to use. Secondly, Assist, this is a nice little feature that lets you set you phone to sleep between certain hours at night so with volume left on it won't disturb you. A good feature with this is that you can set favourite contacts and it will only wake you if one of your favourites calls or another contact calls you twice in 5 minutes (in case of emergency) . It works with your diary too so if you are in a meeting and the meeting is recorded in your phone won't ring during that time, also you can set it to talk to you whilst driving, it detects you are on the move using gps so if you have a call it will tell you who is calling or text in you and you can tell it to either answer the call or text or let the person who is trying to contact you that you are driving. Thirdly, Google now, you can wake up the phone without touching it just by simply saying "OK google now" and it actually works very well. You can ask it a range of questions and it answers what ever you ask. You have to train the phone to respond to your voice upon set up, still very simple to do and a nice little feature. All in all for the price, (sub £300) this is a bargain and in my experience the higher end handset that are £500 plus are just not worth the extra cash. It isn't full of useless things that you'll never use, kit kat works brilliantly on it, highly recommended. Well done Motorola.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2014 6:07 AM BST

Lenovo Yoga 8-inch Tablet (Silver Grey Metal) - Tablet (Quad Core 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.2)
Offered by Executivez

5.0 out of 5 stars A damn good tablet at at very low price, 19 Mar. 2014
Well, after being stuck in a rut of apple iPads, 2, air and mini, nexus 7 and got bored with them all I was on the hunt for a new tablet, I've looked at almost every tablet on the market, all (apart from apple) looking plasticky and flimsy (nexus 7). Then after trawling through our local electrical megastore I noticed this rather good looking 8inch tab, Lenovo yoga 8. It looks good, feels good in the hand and with the cylinder battery\stand rotated is a joy to hold, read with, surf the web etc etc. I'd read loads of reviews and they all said the screen was poor, it was slow blah blah.... The screen is perfectly acceptable, pretty damn good I think, vibrant colours, it pretty quick loading pages etc and the battery life is by far the best of all the tabs I've had. Camera not so good but I'm not one of these folk that take loads of pics with a tablet, I take most pics with my phone. The stand is a brilliant idea as you can use it at various angles depending what you are doing. I won't knock apple pads because they are good but I've had them all and got bored of them all, but with this I actually feel like I've had myself a damn good bargain. At £149 it is a steal, apples new iPad mini with retina is with no doubt tons better, but for half the price I'm glad I chose this. Feel like I've had a bargain for a change instead of feeling ripped off for everything.