Profile for Mr Michael Daubney > Reviews

Content by Mr Michael Daubney

Mr Michael Daubney (A village in England)

Shall We Dance? [DVD] [2004]
Shall We Dance? [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Richard Gere

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Dance Movie, 22 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Shall We Dance? [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The world of dance ia poorly served in the public DVD and video market. There are many good and even some great titles out there, but their mere subject matter seems to resign them to a life of oblivion after the intial issue. I am pleased to have acquired my copy of Shall We Dance before it becomes a deleted issue - and judging by past performances this will not be long. It would be good to see titles such as Dance With Me, The Mambo Kings and others available on DVD, but I suppose I shall have to either record these off the TV or get some American friend to buy me a copy in the States and ship it to me!
As previously mentioned, this version is a straight take-off of the original Japanese version. I found it quite charming, and just about avoiding dropping into schmaltz. I had an affinity with the guys learning to dance as I am in a similar situation myself. I seemed to recognise the actress who played Miss Mitzi,and after looking back over my copy of Moonstruck found it was the redhead lady who Cher's "father" was having an affair with.
This isn't a great dance movie by any means, but it is entertaining all the same. It would be good though if the video and DVD industry was a bit bit more forthcoming and less dismissive about "dance" movies.

Rab C. Nesbitt - Series 1 - Episodes 1 To 6 [1990] [DVD]
Rab C. Nesbitt - Series 1 - Episodes 1 To 6 [1990] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gregor Fisher
Offered by ajdiscs

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent comedy...shame about the DVD, 31 Aug. 2004
Together with many other fans, I have been waiting eagerly for Nesbitt to appear on DVD. IMOHO I felt that the first series was the best - with the "Holiday" episode being the best of the bunch.
However, there is one thing that I found extremely disappointing about this DVD release. There are no extras!!! Even on a bargain bucket DVD we get get extras! But on Rab C Nesbitt Series 1 we get nothing at all. There are no subtitles! There is no bonus material. Just the 6 episodes - and even then they can only be played in solid episodes as there was no chaptering. It would seem that all that has been done is to record straight from tape to DVD. I can do that on my own DVD recorder - at a fraction of the cost of this DVD!
If I could divide my "star rating" for this DVD between the show and the DVD I would give 5 for the programme. The DVD production however, barely merits any rating whatsoever
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2017 1:54 AM BST

Just Good Friends: Series 1 And 2 [DVD] [1983]
Just Good Friends: Series 1 And 2 [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ Paul Nicholas
Offered by Gleam Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars A great romantic comedy, 29 April 2004
"Just Good Friends" was a great romantic comedy long before the termbecame fashionable! The story follows the "on-off" relationship of Vince(the son of a well-off but earthy scrap merchant) and Penny ( the daughterof middle-class parents.
Vince & Penny originally met at a Rolling Stones concert in 1976, andafter a 2 year courtship decided to get married. However, just before thewedding, Vince got a severe case of cold feet and zoomed off on a friendsmotorcycle - leaving Penny in the lurch. Five years later they meetagain, and find the attraction is still there. However, in order to avoidthe potential for heart-break, they agree to be "just good friends". Theold feelings are still there, and it is not long before their emotions getthe better of them. Over the following episodes we watch Vince & Pen ontheir rocky and turbulent relationship.
Just Good Friends ran to 3 series and a few specials. It is to be hopedthat the third series will also be released on DVD to compliment this set.However, I am not going to hold my breath. We have waited long enough forThe Vicar of Dibley to be released in toto!
Vince was played by the talented Paul Nicholas and Penny by Jan Francis.

Red Dwarf: Series 4 [DVD] [1991]
Red Dwarf: Series 4 [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm gonna have to buy the whole set now!, 3 Mar. 2004
Oh Dear! It is beginning to look as if I am going to HAVE to buy the entire collection of Red Dwarf DVDs. Having already bought series 1, 2 & 3 it is becoming clear that the spines of the DVD cases will gradually read the Red Dwarf logo.
For my money, Series 4 marked the zenith of the Dwarfers! Whilst I enjoyed previous series, the storylines really gelled together here. My personal favourite episode was DNA, where Kryten eventually achieves his greatest ambition and becomes human. Mind you, the outlook was not good after he achieved a "double-polaroid" after browsing through an electronic app;iance catalogue! In Dimension Jump we meet Ace Rimmer (What A Guy!) who is the antithesis of the Rimmer we know and...er...love(?)
The way the BBC are pumping out the Red Dwarf videos we should not have long to wait before Rimmer becomes a hard light hologram and is able to touch again.

Moulin Rouge -- Two-Disc Set [DVD] [2001]
Moulin Rouge -- Two-Disc Set [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Entertainment...but not a Great Movie, 21 Mar. 2002
I was one of those people swept along by the spectacle of Moulin Rouge. However, once I actually got to watch the movie on DVD I have to say that I was a little disappointed. Moulin Rouge doesn't seem to find its feet until we find ourselves in the "nightclub" itself. I had some difficulty in understanding the dialogue of Lautrec and his Bohemian friends, and the camerawork during the club sequence made me feel a bit disoriented. Once, Ms Kidman began the "Sparkling Diamond" routine, then Moulin Rouge seemed to find its way - and the rest of the movie became rather more enjoyable. Although the movie is pretty much centred around Nicole Kidman and Ewan Macgregor, I must say that I was strangely drawn to Caroline O'Connor's character of Nini. I hope we see more of Ms O'Connor in future movies.
Perhaps the best routine in the whole movie has to be the outstanding Roxanne "Tango". How many more versions of Sting "classics" will we get to hear? This version of Roxanne is every bit as good as Eva Cassidy's rendition of "Fields of Gold."
In conclusion, the songs were good, the scenery spectacular, the colours sumptuous, but something just prevented Moulin Rouge from becoming a truly classic movie (in my opinion).

The Vicar of Dibley - The Complete First Series [1994] [DVD]
The Vicar of Dibley - The Complete First Series [1994] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gary Waldhorn
Offered by movielovers786

5.0 out of 5 stars Always as fresh as ever!, 3 Feb. 2002
No matter how often I watch this sitcom, it always comes up as fresh as ever. And now... with the release of the complete first series being released on DVD you can re-visit each episode at the touch of a button. The leading character may just be exaggerations, but that is the magic of "Dibley." People like the Dibley parishioners DO exist. We may not have a local cook with the dubious culinary talents of Mrs Cropley in my local village, but without such people village life would be terribly dull.
Go out and buy Vicar of Dibley on DVD - or better still - buy it on-line right here on Amazon.co.uk. Why? Well... you're already here!