Profile for Werner > Reviews

Werner "kafkahauser" (Hampshire.UK)

I Want You
I Want You

5.0 out of 5 stars classic masterpiece, 27 April 2011
This review is from: I Want You (Audio CD)
There are very few albums that are in this class. once you have played it to the end, it's difficult to replace it with any other record. You start scanning the brain files for something better to play,but can't come up with anything so just play it again. This album just goes on and on like an endless irish coffee, its so smooth and pefect that you can't unplug yourself. It's a very pleasant if somewhat scary experiance as in 40 years of listening to music I have never come across a more addictive record.

Will O' The Wisp
Will O' The Wisp
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars weirdly greaT, 25 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Will O' The Wisp (Audio CD)
I have had this album in my collection since the mid 70S on record but like many just don't get to play my record collection so often these days. I think this is the best album of his that I have heard. It's got a great range from the unusual hideaway intro to the wonderfull track of the Island. I am no Leon Russell expert but this album just flows like a summers day, it's the closest he gets to Marvin Gaye, when the sounds just wash over you and you can't think of anything better to put on and so just repeat a few times until it seeps into your pours and you finally understand why that weird sound and voice takes you to somewhere new.

Music Keeps Me Together/Satisfied 'N Tickled Too
Music Keeps Me Together/Satisfied 'N Tickled Too

5.0 out of 5 stars Music keeps me together, 25 Mar. 2011
Taj says it all once again. I have been trying to replace my long ago worn out cassette of this album originally purchased in 77 or 78 when I was living in south east asia and I played this album to death. It was my first taste of taj's unique style of music and it had me hooked after the first few plays. It's been incrediably difficult to find this album at an affordable price apart from some huge inflated dealers/collecters price as an American import and so I haven't heard this record in 30 years or more. Has it stood the test of time? you bet. I have amassed a pretty large Taj collection over the last 20 years and this missing link was a puzzle to me was it as good as I remembered or with the new Taj records I have, would it seem a minor work from the great man. It's a masterpiece, possibly his greatest album certainly for new Taj fans one of his most accessable, the musical scope and range is incrediable.
The other record in this 2 disc set is OK with a couple of good tracks and well worth the listen but for any real music fans who haven't yet discovered the great man then I can't think of a better place to start than this.

The Harder They Come [DVD] [1972]
The Harder They Come [DVD] [1972]
Dvd ~ Jimmy Cliff

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time classic, 24 Mar. 2011
I can finally retire my well worn 20 year old video of this movie having now picked up this reasonably priced DVD version. What's not to like about this movie, the soundtrack is suberb including a great visual clip of Toots and the Maytals at the time in the recording studio and a young Jimmy Cliff showing parts of Jamica that the tourist board would not like us to see. A great feel good movie,despite the tragic if totally predicable ending for our hero. Totally impossible to understand without the subtitles switched on but there are very few films that appear to have been shot on the streets as it was. A totally convincing glimpse from the great days of reggea. One of the best movie soundtracks of all time. Many rivers to cross.

The West Wittering Affair [2006] [DVD]
The West Wittering Affair [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Annen

4.0 out of 5 stars Rom/Com with a differance, 14 Aug. 2009
Nice to see a British independant film on the old subject of romantic comedy but with more than a few unusual twists in the plot.The acting and script are amusing and intellegent. It's well worth the current bargain price as it didn't get a main stream release at the multiplex cinemas.