Profile for Mark > Reviews

Content by Mark

Mark

The Devil Shook My Hand: I've Been Shot, Stabbed and Accused of Murder. People Call Me Britain's Deadliest Bare-knuckle Fighter. This is My Story.
by Micky Gluckstad

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating glimpse into the underworld, 6 Aug. 2012
Although it has to be said I don't read many books in this genre, I feel like I made up for lost time with The Devil Shook my Hand. It reads like a crash course in the East End gangster scene from a man who has been there and done that and gone toe to toe with the worst of them. If you are thinking of reading Micky's story, best block out a day or two because this collection of tales and anecdotes are seriously hard to put down. Plus the man behind them is a real charmer, considering the life he's led. Recommended for fans of crime autobiographies, and interested neutrals.

BloodMining
BloodMining
by Laura Wilkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars imaginative, involving and epic, 16 Oct. 2011
This review is from: BloodMining (Paperback)
Laura Wilkinson has written a fantastic book. It is gripping, disconcerting and visionary novel. Bloodmining is a family saga without being girly and creates a fictional world which is sci-fi without being geeky. I most enjoyed the a deft marriage of current affairs/global concerns with a timeless personal story about relationships. A strong sense of ever changing location and convincing dystopian element should keep most readers turning the pages of this one.

A Brit Different: A Guide to the Eccentric Events and Curious Contests of Britain
by Keith Didcock

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable map of eccentricity, 23 Nov. 2010
It is a good job this book is so packed with superb photos otherwise I would not have believed half the stuff that apparently goes on in the British Isles. From the daft to the dangerous to the downright scary, I was pleased to be able to view these offbeat events and read about them from the comfort of my own home. If curiosity gets the better of me, next summer I shall venture forth and visit some of the hotspots described in these pages. If you like the sound of some strange homegrown tourism, this is surely the guidebook for you.