Profile for jontheconqueror > Reviews

Rush Retrospective 1981-1987
Rush Retrospective 1981-1987
Offered by WORLD WIDE MEDIA MARKET

5.0 out of 5 stars Rush at their BEST!, 20 Nov. 2004
I play this album every day. All of the great Rush tracks are here, including Red Barchetta, Subdivisions, The Analog Kid, Distant Early Warning, Mission, Limelight, the amazing Holocaust inspired Red Sector A, New World Man and perennial favourite Tom Sawyer (my favourite ever Rush track) and many more besides. Steer clear of the dodgy Chronicles and just invest in this and the first Retrospective album from 1974-1980. This is all you will need with regard to the halcyon days of this brilliant Candian power trio. Highly recommended.

Road To Hell 2
Road To Hell 2
Offered by westworld-

1.0 out of 5 stars A zero stars album in reality!!!!!, 20 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Road To Hell 2 (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Chris Rea's since 1992 when God's Great Banana Skin came out and that wasn't a fantastic album but Road To Hell Part 2 is complete and utter piffle. I totally agree with the reviewer who mentions Coming Off The Ropes as being the worst Chris Rea song EVER ... it's absolutely dreadful. I sat through it bored and horrified. The album sounds like a contractual obligation whereby the artist has to produce something and fast. It's overproduced, bland and simply unlistenable in places. The final track with Sylvin on vocals is decent enough but it should be on a Jazz-lite album not something by this country's greatest living Slide guitarist. Put simply, this is an album to AVOID ... don't even buy it out of curiosity. Stick to everything else Chris has done and put this down to a lazy afternoon in the recording studio with Super Mario Brothers music having been used as 'inspiration.'

It's Not Unusual: History of Lesbian and Gay Britain in the 20th Century
It's Not Unusual: History of Lesbian and Gay Britain in the 20th Century
by Alkarim Jivani

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book of Gay & Lesbian history, 4 Nov. 2004
This was the first gay-themed book I read and what a joy it is. It takes you through a comprehensive history of being gay in the UK in the 20th Century. I've never been much of a reader but this book was gripping. I found it by turns humorous and moving. When I had reached the end, I went right back to the beginning and read it again. It's a wonderful book, lovingly written and what comes through most is the humanity of the people whose stories are told. The respect with which Alkarim Jivani imbues the tales within the book makes for an uplifting and enjoyable journey. I cannot recommend this volume highly enough. It is a thoroughly good read and made me realise that I could be happy and gay. Thank you Mr Jivani.

Beautiful Thing [DVD] [1996]
Beautiful Thing [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Glen Berry
Offered by Jasuli

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming film about growing up & being gay, 4 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Beautiful Thing [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
I have only just come to an acceptance of my own sexuality but had I seen this film earlier, I am sure things would have been easier. This is a beautifully told story of two boys growing up on a London council estate, life isn't easy for anyone there but within all of that, a wonderfully moving love story still manages to unfold. It's paced expertly, the music is great and serves to underpin the proceedings and the scene in the woods where the two young lads finally accept and act on their feelings will move you. I agree with other reviewers, this is a film for gay people to see who are contemplating coming out, it's also for parents of gay children. The acting quality is uniformly high. This film comes highly recommended.

Maurice [VHS]
Maurice [VHS]
VHS
Offered by funkybunnie

4.0 out of 5 stars The first gay-themed film I saw, 4 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Maurice [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I saw this film way back in the late 80's when I was still struggling with the realisation that I was gay. I found it very difficult to watch in places, due to the fact that homosexuality was still criminalised when this film was set. However, the love scenes are especially tender and certainly helped me through the remainder of my teens, James Wilby is gorgeous in this adaptation. Maurice is a wonderful film. It works as a period piece, it works as a gay drama but most effectively, it works as a love story. Highly recommended.

Vapor Trails
Vapor Trails

4.0 out of 5 stars A good entry in the Rush canon, 4 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Audio CD)
When I first heard this album, I hated it. I couldn't wait for it to end and when it did, I packed it away and forgot about it for a while. I then went through a period where there was nothing new I wanted to get so I was stuck with the albums I had, one of these being Vapor Trails. With some trepidation, I put it in the stereo and pressed play. I still wasn't sure about it after the second listen but I kept going with it and what a joy it's become. With each new listen, I find another layer. The words fit with the music instead of being slightly set apart from it. They mesh perfectly. The musicianship is breath-taking as always but this time seems to be an integral aspect rather than them just playing widdly-widdly stylings. Geddy's voice is beautiful and his bass work serves to underpin the music this time round. Alex's guitar playing creates a stunning wall of sound and gives bands like Tool a good run for their money, showing there's life in the old dog yet. Neil shows just why he is probably the greatest rock drummer on the planet today. I am ever so sorry he had to go through what he did in the run up to this album but he's come back, bigger badder and better than ever before. This genuinely is Rush at their very best, just don't expect too much too soon. This album will just get better with age and patience.