Profile for Ann Currie > Reviews

Content by Ann Currie

Ann Currie (Liverpool, UK)

A Bear Called Paddington: Complete & Unabridged
A Bear Called Paddington: Complete & Unabridged
by Michael Bond
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly charming combination of Fry and Paddington, 22 Jan. 2010
Having been given a Paddington bear each by their gran for Christmas, it was time to introduce my 3 year old twins to the delights of Paddington. When I saw it was read by Stephen Fry, I rubbed my hands with glee, as his reading of the Harry Potter saga is wonderful.

The CD arrived on Tuesday 5th January and it got us through a long journey home through the snow that night! I was so glad that we had the dulcet tones of Stephen Fry to listen to, very calming. I did think that it might be too "old" for my twins as the books are probably for 5-8 year olds but they love listening to it and ask for it again and again. The stories on Disc 2 seem especially popular, especially the one about Paddington's painting. My son is particularly taken with the way Jonathan says "crikey" all the time!

As you can probably gather, the CD is great hit with us grown ups too. I have been eyeing up the DVD of the TV series now...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2014 11:58 PM GMT

The Three Little Pigs and Other Stories (BBC Childrens Audio)
The Three Little Pigs and Other Stories (BBC Childrens Audio)
by Lenny Henry
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Give the Three Little Pigs a good home, 13 Nov. 2009
I nearly didn't buy this because of the other review but we already had Jack and Beanstalk, also read by Lenny Henry and Sheridan Smith, and our 3 year old twins loved it so decided to take the plunge. I'm glad I did as this is very funny - the three little pigs have black country accents with a few jokes thrown in (won't spoil them for you) and the granny in Little Red Riding Hood is a Scouser!

I agree with the reviewer in that it wouldn't have done any harm to slow down the reading a notch more - it is aimed at toddlers and pre-schoolers after all - but there is no mention of the humour injected into these readings, which makes it enjoyable for us adults and for the kids. The proof of the pudding is in the playing and it has been the only CD we have been allowed to play in the car since we got it!