Profile for Nick > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
We Are Undone
We Are Undone

2.0 out of 5 stars Heading to Kashmir via the Rubber Factory, 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: We Are Undone (Audio CD)
Well these guys are being played on 6music a lot. And being raved about a lot too. So I heard one of their tracks and it seemed pretty good, so I bought the album.
If you want a Led Zep / Black Keys re-hash without any of the swagger, feeling or emotion, these are your guys. I however don't need a re-hash when the originals are fine... Its waaay over-produced, suffers from that 'loud' production level too.
Shame.

Holy Fire
Holy Fire
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars Embrace the old style., 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Holy Fire (Audio CD)
I've been wending my way through some new music with the help of bbc6musics alt jukebox playlist on spotify. It brought be to The Foals.
The portents were good, I liked a track I heard and checked out a few reviews.
The opening track is fantastic, I was really excited. More of that please! I was driving home from work. At some point, I realised we'd reached track 7. And it hadn't even entered my ears.
What a downer. Over produced by Flood, it makes it a dead cert for Dermot O'Learyland on R2. It turns out that The Foals are just another in a long line of grim grey flatliners like Starsailor, Travis and the like.
This album is just Embrace á la 2015. If you like that sort of music, wonderful, if you want to hear something different. Avoid. Like the plague.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 7:46 PM GMT

The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81
The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81
by Jim Bob

5.0 out of 5 stars A positive view of care in the community, and f***ing funny too., 23 Dec. 2014
I was directed to this book, as were many people I would imagine, with our lifelong love of the writers previous role as a jobbing songwriter and shouter in Carter USM.
This book is great on so many levels. The characters are fully rounded, and you understand them very quickly, you are also drawn in by an outwardly (extra) ordinary story.
The best thing about this book? It paints care workers in the community in a positive light. SO rare.
Thanks JimBob.

Ash Ra Tempel
Ash Ra Tempel
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Space rock., 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ash Ra Tempel (Audio CD)
You will have got this CD because a) you had the LP and can't believe it's on an affordable CD, or b) came because of Conny Plank. Well, this, in the literal sense , isn't krautrock. If you like Cluster, Kraftwerk and the electronic side of German progressive music then this isn't for you. It carries more in common with Hawkwind, Hillage or Gong, and is really fairly run if the mill space rock.
Side 1 is a noisy freak out, and side 2 is a meditative piece.
It's not bad. Just not very I interesting. But that's just my opinion!

Panasonic SC-PMX7DBEBK 120W Micro System with Integrated Dock for iPod and iPhone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality and value, 31 July 2014
An outstanding product. I finally took the plunge after doing a good bit of searching. The Denon M39 was winning, except, on price. The Panasonic was a latecomer to my search and wins hands down on price and quality.
I am not an audiophile. I don't have the hearing of a cat, and need to spend £2k on a Bose or similar.
If you want great quality, lots of features for a good price (it was £232 when I bought it) this is the one. It's has Bluetooth connectivity, an aux option (we have the pc patched through it for video and specify). It picked up the dab straight away but I did buy an aerial for £10...
A top hifi. Does what it says on the box.

Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine
Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine

4.0 out of 5 stars A Different View, 20 May 2014
I wasn't aware of this compilation until I stumbled across it the other day, and I purchased it immediately!

It isn't your run of the mill Doors compilation, and has a lot of tracks that aren't as well known, which is no bad thing. It highlights the fact that a lot of the album tracks were easily as good as the big hits, and that Soft Parade really wasn't as awful as history seems to paint it.

There is however, a couple of glaring errors/omissions (whatever). Break On Through is the "..She gets..!" version, which seems strange, maybe its to placate a USA that is still offended by the word 'high' nearly 50 years later, and the version of LA Woman is again the slightly edited version.

Considering this is a remaster, you'd think these would be rectified.

Otherwise, highly recommended!!

Think Tank
Think Tank
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Step Into The New, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Think Tank (Audio CD)
I found myself listening to this album properly for the first time only recently. I fell for the vitriol when it came out. Not so, now.

It feels, and seems to be in a similar vein to Up (R.E.M.). Blur and R.E.M. are/were very much the sum of their parts. Take one away, and the feel remains, but the sound doesn't.

Graham Coxon leaving Blur, brings a new and not unwelcome sound to Blur. Whilst 13 is all guitar based, Think Tank is all beats, echoes and atmosphere.

Out Of Time must be one of their best songs, period. The lyrics for the whole album are very much affected by the times, and the music is more dystopian, the influence of Albarn/Gorillaz and Alex James' bass right to the fore.

I hate bands resting on their laurels, and Blur, thank goodness, have never done that. If you want Country House, go elsewhere, if want interesting, moving scratchy but still poppy music. Park here, and stay for a while.

Slanted And Enchanted
Slanted And Enchanted
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly unsurprising, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Slanted And Enchanted (Audio CD)
As a fan of alternative music throughout my life, Pavement had always, oddly, passed me by. I'd heard Stephen Malkmus name being dropped all over the music press, as well as Pavement. Blur chucked their name about, and still I ignored.

So, finally I bought this the other day.

I can't begin to describe how disappointingly unsurprising it sounded. I can't even bring myself to do a long drawn out review. I know I'll be told to try Crooked Rain, or even Wowee Zowee, but I can't be bothered. I just pictured slackers, floppy hair, US student campuses, I mean, C'mon, weren't REM doing this in '83?!?!

The Cure, Dinosaur Jr, The Fall, Television. Heard them. Love them. They fulfill everything that Pavement seem to be attempting. And were doing it (some of them) 10+ years prior to Pavement 'breaking new ground'.

Go listen to Three Imaginary Boys (Remastered), This Nations Saving Grace, Marquee Moon, You're Living All Over Me.

This is just so stunningly over-rated. Sorry.

By the Way
By the Way
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chili Peppers Pet Sounds, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: By the Way (Audio CD)
I discovered the Chili Peppers in 1988, first by name via Fishbone and Anthrax, then in 1989 by their actual sight and sound, four crazed lunatics in the video for Higher Ground on MTV. Mothers Milk was, until 2002, my favourite album.
By The Way is an extraordinary musical and artistic statement for a band almost in their 20th year. Having gone through addiction, the loss of some of their closest friends, then almost losing another guitarist, it's a miracle BTW ever happened.
It soars, it funks, it rocks, it swings and it breaks your heart. My favourite track is Midnight, a song, and piece if songwriting that is worthy of Brian Wilson. I mean it, and I'm one of those people that get genuinely furious when every feckin Tom Dick or Harry gets lauded as a 'Pet Sounds for the 21st century', but Midnight is that good.
The rest of the album is as equally well put together, with the title track starting things off perfectly.
To put this album in perspective, I'm afraid I will have to 'dis rock royalty. BTW was done when the Chili Peppers had been recording for 19years, when the Rolling Stones were at this stage, we got the album Undercover.
Go figure.

Rubber Factory
Rubber Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Where the blues really went..., 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Rubber Factory (Audio CD)
This album was my first experience of the Black Keys. I've gotta tell you, it just blows me away every time I hear it. Knowing now what I didn't know then, it may not be their most accomplished album, but it is their best in terms of roots vs contemporary.
For me, Black Keys are the true modern bluesmen. The guys sweating a living doing what Stevie Ray Vaughan was going 30 years ago, and what Muddy Waters was doing 30 years before that are perfectly valid, but just copying a copy, without any soul.
This is the real deal, the sounds they wrench out of just a guitar and drums, beggar belief. The album swings, sways, rocks and swamps. It evokes the country blues of the 1920s, the Chicago blues of the 50s, and still, living in the shadow of them White Stripes folk, manage to sound new.
An awesome album, and one to cherish, and turn the hell up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7