Profile for Nick > Reviews

Content by Nick

Nick (Belfast)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Quilted Anti-Allergenic Breathable Foam Cotbed Mattress. Size: 70cm x 140cm, 4" Depth
Offered by TOP STYLE BEDDING

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, 25 April 2016
Excellent thick mattress. Great quality and much better than ones form IKEA etc that are twice the price

Who Are You
Who Are You

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sign Of The Times, 25 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Who Are You (Audio CD)
Who Are You is a difficult album to review. I recently heard PT talking about how people slated Face Dances and It's Hard and seeing them totally out of context for what the band was at that time.

Who Are You could be seen as a sad postscipt for Keith Moon. Sitting on the cover with the chair turned around to hide his paunch, the other 3 at the absolute peak of their talents, looking fit ready to go. However its not THAT bad. Its the first Who album since The Who Sell Out that isn't timeless. Its of its time. The 60s bands struggling to find aplace in the world of New Wave / Disco etc. It does sound quite dated with its use of synths, but the songwriting is actually as strong as anything else they've ever done.

The title track, obviously, is huge, and a powerful statement. But also, others like Guitar and Pen, Music Must Change, theres a striving for moving forward, and Townshend has NEVER sat still. The band version of Empty Glass is fantastic, and belongs on the original album in my opinion. Sister Disco is weaker, and one of those songs like Dreaming From The Waist where I think Roger used to look at Pete on stage and smile like they're brothers, except that Pete would be smiling back but saying "You c***" under his breath...

All in all Who Are You is by no means the poor album a lot of people slate it as, but compared to even the lean and mean The Who By Numbers its quite bloated. No band is perfect, and this album is one of the weaker, but if you bear in mind that Led Zepellin were about to release In Through The Out Door and the Rolling Stones the hugely overrated (and limpid 'answer to punk') Some Girls - The Who were doing pretty well.

But all these words are just my own. Everybodys got their own opinion.

What's Your 20? Essential Tracks 1994 - 2014
What's Your 20? Essential Tracks 1994 - 2014
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars I Won't-co., 9 Mar. 2016
Wilco have been screamed about in the music press for over 20 years now. Prettymuch actually the lifetime of Mojo Magazine, which I used to subscribe to, almost as if Wilco were formed for that magazines own personal pleasure.
I have bought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Summerteeth Being There and Wilco A.M., and now this last ditch attempt. I have persevered endlessly because this much praise must be worth SOMETHING, right?!
Well my feeling is they are the ULTIMATE hipster band. Much the same as the love shown for Gram Parsons, Wilco are hailed as some sort of 'real music' saviours. As GP started the country rock 'revolution' in '68/'69 - 20 years later Wilco do the same thing.
We can only assume that soon there'll be new versions of The Eagles, REO Speedwagon and Linda Rondstadt clogging up the airwaves within a few years, faces buried in piles of cocaine and....... You get me yeah?
Red-Eyes and Blue off Being There is a great track, but almost feels like a style and subject copy of Blue, Red and Grey by The Who on their By Numbers album. Off that same album there's Monday, this song trots along beautfully, but couldn't really be a bigger copy of Rocks Off by Rolling Stones on Exile On Main Street (go read my review of that - I DARED to be less than reverential https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RFUKR6WJ2KUO8/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm)
I'm never gonna be a fan of Wilco it seems. Shame as they seem to be dead popular with the kids.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2016 1:54 PM BST

White Chalk
White Chalk

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For Me - Too Bleak, 23 Feb. 2016
This review is from: White Chalk (Audio CD)
I found myself very excited to hear this album. After a good few listens now I can't pretend to be a fan of it I am sad to say. Every song seems to be in the same key and have similar cadence, and Polly doesn't really use her full range. It may improve for me on many more repeated listens, but to be honest I'm not sure i have the energy. Its beautifully produced, the packaging and photography is stunning, and I have the greatest of respect and love for PJ's work. But this one ain't for me.

Self Portrait
Self Portrait
Offered by JAPANMEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat your words Greil Marcus., 21 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Self Portrait (Audio CD)
I got this for a great price. And compared to the currently available scruffy issue from Columbia (unless you splurge on the The Complete Album Collection Vol. One box set - yeah right) this is a thing of beauty.

The Japanese REALLY know how to treat a re-issue. The case is thick matte card and textured just like the original vinyl, and its spread over 2 cds. The photos inside are reproduced well, and the booklet has lyrics, but no more info than that.

For an album that was reviled on its release it has stood the test of time much better than much more lauded releases. This is one of my favourite Dylan albums, simply because its a good satisfying listen. Apart from the appalling cover of The Boxer, the album flows well, and has some great tracks. I love the opener, I LOVE Wigwam, and Alberta #4 is fab.

Whats this ****, Greil? Its a beauteous thing, thats what. And proves Bob doesnt have to be changing the world to make great music. After all, one of his 'least good' albums is still streets ahead of most peoples best. This re-issue is well worth the money.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Fancy Free
Fancy Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Free As A Byrd, 17 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Fancy Free (Audio CD)
My first Donald Byrd purchase was Best of Jazz Soul Years known as Early Byrd. Its a great laid back intro to him, but this was the first album i bought. The reason I bought it? It was the only album that was there! It turns out it is one of my favourite jazz albums ever. The title track is so relaxed, with some great playing - although anyone who hears it will think its just lounge/cocktail music!
The other 3 tracks are up to his standard for that period, and it is an incredibly overlooked album i think. Mainly, at the moment, becuase it hasnt had the RVG reissue treatment so commands a steep price.
However, its worth the money.

Unplugged 1991/2001: The Complete Sessions
Unplugged 1991/2001: The Complete Sessions

4.0 out of 5 stars Unpolished (1991) and Polished (2001) Beauty, 14 Aug. 2015
I was working for HMV Trocadero in London when Out Of Time came out. We heard about the secret gigs at The Borderline as Bingo Hand Job, there was such a reverential, special buzz going around about them, but I didn't go. Yeah, That still hurts.
So when they did Unplugged that same year, it was like a little treat. I video'd the broadcast and watched it endlessly. By this time I was in full-on man crush mode for Stipe, I loved his style and attitude and he has SUCH a beautiful voice. The version of Perfect Circle is wonderful, although the backing vocals are a little shakey! The rest of the 1991 is imperfect, which I think adds to the joy of it. Fall On Me in particular is heart-lifting.
By 2001 REM had weathered the storm of 10 years of intense fame, and it shows, they are more assured, polished and perfect, and for me, the less for it. However its still a stellar performance.
This CD makes me long to see them again. But as I tell anyone, I truly hope they never break the spell, and reform. Leave it there folks.
Highly recommended.

The Magical World of the Strands
The Magical World of the Strands

2.0 out of 5 stars 60s whimsy in 2015, 11 Aug. 2015
I bought Pacific Street when it came out, and it didn't leave my cassette player for months...From Across The Kitchen Table was huge disappointment. Shack definitely have their moments, but the genius status that is afforded Michael Head is really pushing the boat out a bit. He seems now to have descended into Liam Gallagher'isms musically, worshipping the 60s whimsy, and also with this album, visually too. If I wanted this type of music I'd go back to source to The Kinks or lesser known foppish 60s stuff. This is just lame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2015 9:43 PM BST

Alphabet
Alphabet
by Matthew Van Fleet

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that doesn't talk down to kids, 24 July 2015
This review is from: Alphabet (Hardcover)
This book really is superb. And a superb price. Our 16 month old adores all the touch bits. But it will also last her well into toddler time. The animals it chooses don't speak down to children. There are iguanas, quahog clams and ucaris! So refreshing. Highly recommended.

Royal Blood
Royal Blood

3.0 out of 5 stars Jack White's Royal Blood(line), 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Royal Blood (Audio CD)
I REALLY wanted to love this album. I like it, but its not the earth-shatterer it could've been.
The production is predictably huge sounding, but the riffs are fab, and the energy is also fantastic. My issue? If ONLY the singer didn't sound exactly like Jack White (phrasing too), then I wouldn't be thinking
"I should go and listen to Elephant instead."
Shame, but still, it might be a grower.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8