Profile for Allan S Ferguson > Reviews

Content by Allan S Ferguson

Allan S Ferguson (Motherwell)

Tea with Mr Newton: 100, 000 Miles - The Longest 'protest March' in History (Desert Island Athletics Histories)
by Rob Hadgraft

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read..., 1 Nov. 2013
The book itself was delivered in good time and in perfect condition. As to the content of the book; after having read "Running for their lives", also about the life and achievements of Arthur Newton, I wanted to read more and this book did not disappoint. I have been a runner for many years and I am amazed that I have not heard of Arthur before now. Never too late though, my running is the richer for finding out more about him. Thanks Arthur! :-)

Rainbows and Wellies: Taigh Na Mara Cookbook
Rainbows and Wellies: Taigh Na Mara Cookbook
by Jackie Redding

5.0 out of 5 stars Cotter's Carrot Magic!!!, 15 April 2011
My wife and I bought this book when it first came out in 1995, it instantly became a firm favourite and remains so to this day.
We have lots of cookbooks but this one is unique and a little special; we highly recommended it.
In fact we'd love them to create a Taig Na Mara 2!

The Wrong Boy
The Wrong Boy
by Willy Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Story..., 14 May 2010
This review is from: The Wrong Boy (Paperback)
Honestly, I would recommend that you ignore the negative reviews. If this sounds like the kind of book you would normally read and enjoy then you'll not be disappointed.

One negative reviewer talked about the stereotypical nature of the characters. I think that's an over simplified analysis, grossly unfair and not helpful. Of course, having read the book and in hindsight I can see what they are saying but who reads books with this kind of critical eye? Well, not me at least and hopefully not you!

This is a charming story with funny, recognizable and memorable characters that together carry the story along beautifully. My wife read it and enjoyed it hugely (not a Smiths or Morrissey fan) and recommended that I read it (an ex-huge Smiths and Morrissey fan) and I also really enjoyed it.

Don't be put off, enjoy it for what it is, a story that is funny, intelligent and charming.

An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years Of Upper Class Idiots In Charge)
by John O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only a fantastic read - but inspiring to!!!, 19 Oct. 2008
When I first started to read this book I momentarily wondered if I was going to cope with the mix of humour and history. I needn't have worried. As I began to get into the ebb and flow of the book I thoroughly enjoyed the light hearted but at the same time educational stroll through most of the major historical events of Great Britain. Not only did I thoroughly enjoy the read; I laughed out loud more than once. More than that though the book left me inspired and thirsty to read more history! What more can you ask of a book. Throughly recommended...

Advanced Use Case Modelling: Software Systems v. 1 (Object Technology Series)
Advanced Use Case Modelling: Software Systems v. 1 (Object Technology Series)
by Frank Armour

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 29 Aug. 2008
This book is by far and away the best 'technical' book I have ever purchased (and I have a lot of 'technical' books!!!).

It's clearly and thoughtfully written, practicle and covers all the bases. If you are looking to embark on using Use-cases or develop your use of Use-cases more then this is the book for you.

As the previous reviewer rightly notes - "It is hard to find fault with this book"