Profile for John H > Reviews

Content by John H

John H (West Yorkshire, England)

The Meaning of Masonry
The Meaning of Masonry
by C.W. Wilmshurst

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for those truly seeking what Freemasonry is about, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Meaning of Masonry (Hardcover)
If you're a Freemason truly in search of the meaning of masonry, no pun intended, then this book is a must have for you. It wont give you all the answers you seek, but it will give you more to contemplate and meditate on than I could try to tell you in a review. I have an old copy, given to me by a 60 year Mason who has recently passed, that I don't want to mark in. So I purchased this reprint for reference material that I can mark in as I will be giving presentations on masonic sybolism in my lodge and undoubetly much of my material will come from this book, not just my personal interpretations.

The Masonic Initiation, Revised Edition
The Masonic Initiation, Revised Edition
by W. L. Wilmshurst

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, 16 Mar. 2014
I can honestly say with complete conviction that if you're a Freemason, this is a must have/must read whether you're an Entered Apprentice or 50 year Master Mason. W. L. Wilmshurst pulls back the veil on the meaning of masonry even further with this follow-on to his first book "The Meaning of Masonry".

W.L.Wilmshurst - The Ceremony of Initiation: Revisited by Robert Lomas: Volume 1 (The Complete Works of W L Wilmshurst)
by Robert Lomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, 16 Mar. 2014
I received this book and read it cover to cover in 2 days. Not because it's short. Because it's that good and the information passed so informative. It's basically two books in one. It contains the original text by W. L. Wilmshurst as well as a more contemporary "translation", as I like to call it, by Robert Lomas. I absolutely love to read Wilmshurst's books as he wrote them, but they can be challenging to understand sometimes because he lived and wrote in the first third of the 20th century and his writing style reflects that time.

I highly reccomend this book to newly initiated Entered Apprentices as well as Master Masons, no matter how long they've been a Freemason. As a new Initiate, it will reveal tons of information and if read by a Master Mason...it could be a good "refresher" if not even possibly teach to you a few things you were unaware of.

Studies in the meaning of our Ritual: The E.A.'s Handbook (The Masonic Handbook Series)
by WARD JSM

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it, 16 Mar. 2014
I found this book extremely helpful in understanding what I experienced during my initiation. It also helped me to understand on some level why the things are done and said the way they are during the EA initiation. This book has not only given me insight on what I've experienced and why...it's given me a deeper hunger for the knowledge available to those seeking it in the higher degrees. This book is, in my opinion, a must have for every new Entered Apprentice, whatever their purpose for joining Freemasonry, so that they can learn more about that which they've experienced and why. I would also highly reccomend this book to those who are already Master Masons no matter how long they've been a Freemason and no matter what side order they're in. I think this book could be an excellent "refresher" for them, as well as being a potential guide for them to use in the mentoring of new initiates.

I feel like I've got so much from this book that I intend to either take my copy to my lodge, or I will buy a few copies to take, and offer them to my (much senior) brethren along with the suggestion that we may want to consider investing in 10+ copies to have on hand with the intent to give them to future Entered Apprentices upon completion of their initiation.

I haven't yet read The Fellow Craft Handbook or Master Mason's Handbook by the same author (but I do have them) but I have full certainty that they will be just as insightful as The Entered Apprentice Handbook. I am so confident you'll enjoy The EA's Handbook, should you choose to read it, that I suggest you order the FC and MM Handbooks at the same time as you'll want to read them too and not wait on them to be delivered.

The Meaning Of Masonry
The Meaning Of Masonry
by W. L. Wilmshurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Meaning Of Masonry (Paperback)
W. L. Wilmshurst was an Englishman and Freemason for 32 years (if I recall correctly from the book) at the time it was first published in 1922. I found from page 1 that it was hard to put down. No masonic secrets are given per the author, so if that's what you're after this isn't the book for you. It does go in to deeper explanations of some of the masonic symbology though so you will get some "new" information, I believe, if you want to know more about masonic symbolism. This book seems to be truly about the meaning of masonry, exactly as the title implies, from the point of view of what masonry was and has always intended to be for each individual who truly seeks to better themselves on a deep level. I'm not a Mason (I will be in Feb 2014) but this book has tied a lot together for me since I've done a lot of reading on Freemasonry. Whether you want to know what freemasonry is truly about simply out of curiosity or because you're considering joining, I personally think this book will give you at least some of the answers you're looking for, or at least give you a better understanding of what you may find within masonry if you join. It's definitely NOT about conspiracy theories and all that stuff that's so popular today.

I am also so positive about it because I was given a 6th Edition copy published in 1932, by a gentleman who has been a Freemason for 60 years. I think if a man has been a Mason for 60 years and he thinks it's worthy of passing on to a masonic candidate, then it must be a worthwhile read and an authentic representation of what Freemasonry is all about.

Silverline 395015 Double Pouch Tool Belt 11 Pocket 300 x 200 mm
Silverline 395015 Double Pouch Tool Belt 11 Pocket 300 x 200 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool pouch, 1 Nov. 2013
This is a great tool pouch. It's put together very well and is comfortable to wear. I use it for when I go metal detecting and it's extremely handy to keep everything I need close at hand and it's also very good to put my finds in rather than filling my pockets :)

Secrets of the Knights Templar: The Hidden History of the World's Most Powerful Order
by Susie Hodge

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 1 Nov. 2013
This is a great book. It's bigger than I expected, well written and beautifully illustrated throughout. I haven't finished reading it yet, but what I have read so far has been very impressive. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in the Knights Templar. It's a great book to get a very good understanding of the Order if you're starting from the beginning or just curious as to who and what the Knights Templar are/were, and it's definitely worth a read and it's highly deserving of a space on any bookshelf for reference later by those who wish to dig a little deeper in to the Order.

The Knights Templar Absolution: The Chinon Parchment and the History of the Poor Knights of Christ
by A. A. Grishin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 20 Oct. 2013
This is a fantastic book whether you're just starting to learn about the Knights Templar or already have done some research/reading on them. It's a great introduction on their birth, history and demise. Unlike any other book I've read on the Templars, and I've read more than a few, this one contains the English translation of the Chinon Parchment, transcripts of the Templars Inquisition, which is a great way to close out a book and give everyone a good idea of what happened in those final days.

I would highly recommend this to any and all Knights Templar enthusiasts :)

The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians Of The True Identity Of Christ
The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians Of The True Identity Of Christ
by Clive Prince

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is not about the Knights Templar as Secret Guardians, 16 April 2013
This book is more about the origins of Christianity, or more specifically, who 3 of the main biblical "Christian" figures we know today really were (plus others) and the Gnostic Gospels, rather than a book about the Knights Templar being secret guardians of anything or anyone. Most of the book is an investigation in to who Jesus, Mary Magdelene and John the Baptist really were and what they were really teaching, and how, and mysteries behind them such as the Black Madonna, Rennes Le Chateau and more. The authors document their findings and research very well, but it is a challenging read at best because of the sea of hyphens and supportive information very frequently found in parentisis which breaks up already scattered ideas thus causing a lot of back tracking. There is one chapter mostly devoted to the Templars which was very interesting, and they're mentioned here and there throughout the book. If you're a Templar fanatic/researcher...this book is ok, but dont expect to learn a lot. You may get a little out of it, but dont hope for a lot, if any, "ah-ha" moments. It's an ok book, but the title is very misleading.

The Templars and the Ark of the Covenant: The Discovery of the Treasure of Solomon
by Graham Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so Templar related as the title would make you believe, 31 Mar. 2013
Three stars overall...it's well researched and documentation included but I'd give it 0 stars based on the title of the book and its description as it has VERY LITTLE to do with Templars. The author did a fantastic job in his research and documentation in an attempt to prove biblical passages as factual vs metaphorical. So if you've got an interest in learning more about biblical fact from fiction, this book is for you. If you're a Templar researcher/fanatic etc, don't count on this book giving you any revelations about them or ah-ha moments about their "lost treasure" or reason for being an order etc. The Templars are mentioned on page 1 then briefly again during the authors journies and only 1 chapter is devoted to the Templars, or more specially, one man who was a Templar, and this chapter leaves me wondering how vaild the "evidence" is becauase, if you know much about Templars, if they left the organization, they were supposedly to retire to a monestary and devote their lives to prayer etc. This particular Templar left the order (or that's what's inferred....to me anyway) and was exceedingly wealthy (following his time in the Crusades), bought land, built a magnificient home, got married etc. Very un-Templar-like. So I'm not even convinced that what little bit about "the Templars" actually in the book is valid.

Graham Philips, in my opinion, is an excellent writer and researcher and I will probably read more of his books. However, the title of this book to me is extremely misleading and should have been something a lot more simple like "The Search for the Ark of the Covenant" with a different, more appropriate to the content of the book, description.