Profile for A. Pace > Reviews

Content by A. Pace

A. Pace

4 Gift Packs of Stamford Incense & FREE Ash Catcher by OFA (TM) Bumper Pack 192 Incense Sticks: Aromatherapy, Black Mythical, Angels & Moods With FREE Ash Catcher
Offered by GSM.Traders

4.0 out of 5 stars good price for the sets together, 26 May 2016
Was dispatched speedily and arrived ahead of schedule, good price for the sets together. Thought it would be a good way to try out the different ones and see which I like best. Only let down is that the incense holder that came with it doesn't even have a hole to place any incense sticks in.

Everyday Sexism
Everyday Sexism
by Laura Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Laura., 12 April 2014
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Hardcover)
I want to start off by thanking Laura, for bringing this movement in to existence. Sometimes, all it really takes is for one person to stand up, speak out, and make a change. And that is exactly what she has done, and continues to do.

The endless stories that make their way to the Everyday Sexism Project show not only the sheer extent of the problem, but also show endless amounts of people that it's 'NOT JUST THEM'.

An inspiring movement, an inspiring lady and now an inspiring book too.
I'm so proud that you finally have this beautiful book published Laura, the Everyday Sexism Project is definitely going to be a piece of history. And hopefully, so is this book.

I bought it only a couple of days ago and have read it so avidly that I am already on to my second reading!

Funnily enough, the day that I bought this book... I went in to the city and walked to the book store, got my copy and told the cashier not to waste a bag, I would carry the book instead.
As I walked back through the city centre on the way to my car, I felt very self-conscious. I felt almost, exposed? I was wearing a skirt that finished below my knee, some sandals. No coat, or jacket. I felt conscious of my body, the way it looked, the shape, my bottom, my hips, my legs. I wondered if someone might see the book I was holding, and it's title, and have some kind of response to it. And I was very aware of all the men that I passed. I felt somewhere deep down inside that I would not reach my car without at least one man making some kind of comment towards me.

Laura had wrote an article for The Guardian that day, that was all about the difference between a compliment, and harassment. And to be honest, I expected harassment, not a compliment. I truly expected something negative to happen as I walked through the shopping centre, and all I wanted to do was get back to the safety of my car as soon as I possibly could.

As I was within reach of the shopping centre exit, I became aware of a man walking along side me. I heard him make a sniffing sound, and mumble something to himself, I made out the word 'lovely'... I then turned and saw him take earphones out of his ears, he looked at me and said 'You smell absolutely beautiful!' to which I laughed in surprise, smiled and said 'Thank you!'
And that was it, nothing more. He had paid me a compliment. And it was nice. I finished the rest of the walk to my car with a smile on my face. Happy that I had been proven wrong, and that the experience that I had known I would have, was not the harassment I had expected, but an innocent compliment. It made a change, and I really appreciated it.

Anyway, back to the book. Showing the many aspects of life affected by Sexism, this is really a piece that shouts from the rooftops... 'This is 2014, and this is how we are living, and this is NOT acceptable!'
I shouldn't have to feel so scared to walk in public places, I shouldn't have to feel wary of men, or violated by the things that they say to me. As a rape survivor, it may be something that's a predictable response to my experience. But it is a way that I always felt, even as a young girl.

In 2011, I gave up my right to anonymity to speak out about my experience of domestic violence and rape, in the hopes of encouraging other women and girls to come forward and finally talk. I managed to help and inspire many women and girls, and worked voluntarily, not only here in the UK for Rape Crisis, but overseas in Africa doing the same for WAR (Women Against Rape).

It's been a while since I felt as inspired to keep pushing forward and trying to make changes.
Laura and her movement has provided me with some much needed enthusiasm and inspiration to start that work again.

We are all capable of change. So let's make it happen. Thank you Laura.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2014 8:47 AM BST

Music (Dk)
Music (Dk)
by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Music (Dk) (Hardcover)
Beautiful extensively detailed book on Music and all it's history, up to current day. Amazing book for any true Music lover or Music Head.