Profile for Mrs. Sharon L. Lawson > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Sharon L....

Mrs. Sharon L. Lawson "Sadakohere" (London, England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Out
Out
by Stephen Snyder

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great just readable., 19 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Out (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading a variety of posotive reviews, I like this type of fiction so was keen to get stuck in.

The story started off well but somehow about halfway through, it seemed to drag and I struggled to get motivated enough to continue. I forced myself to read on and eventually the story picked up again about 3/4 through. Sadly, it wasn't anything that surprising or unique. Became repetitive and predictable. Shame.

It doesn't live up to it's praise as a book and I have read a lot better. The characters are all generally very vague and it is hard to warm to anyone or feel for them. So much so that my main concern was Milk, the missing cat!!

I read through books quickly and this is one of my world record slowest. If you want a good book that is hard to put down (both very different however) I recommend these:
102 Minutes - a real-life thriller of unimaginable scale
American Psycho - proper disturbing stuff! Though black humour, it contains some unbelievable scenes.

Kingdom Hearts II Platinum (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts II Platinum (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars The magic returns!, 18 Jan. 2009
Kingdom Hearts has returned! I was delighted as the first one is definately in my top 5 favourite games. With improved battle functions, more productive Gummi Ship activities and even handier ability to skip the long video sequences that drove me a bit mad in KH1!

Kingdom Hearts 2, although a brilliant game, somehow lacks the magical charm of the first one. I think because it is set in modern Disney film lands, includes modern characters and the dialogue is more Westernised/very American (one character keeps saying "Y'know" and it's very annoying!) than the first one where all the characters use no modern slang and speak a timeless neutral dialogue.

The use of the triangle button throughout makes battles less hard on your hands and it's great how chests can be opened during fights too. The game can be finished a lot quicker than KH1 but I enjoy doing all the sub-games and increasing my stats so you can take as long as you like!

Still, the good outweigh the bad by a long shot. A very playable, charming game that I've never tired of after completing it 3 times already. The many sub-games are a bit of fun and you don't NEED to do them all to complete the game. The musical score is very good and the song "Sanctuary" at the start by Utada Hikaru is beautiful. That and "Simple and Clean" from KH1 are on my iPod!!

Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)

Bride Of Re-Animator [1990] [DVD]
Bride Of Re-Animator [1990] [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars The Good Old Days!, 14 Jan. 2009
The good old days of latex and hand-made special effects. No CGI then!

Basic plotline revolves around the desire to re-animate the doctor's deceased girlfriend using her heart and other corpse's body parts. A police leutennant suspects something strange is going on from the evidence from the first film and is a threat to the experiment. Of course, in the lead up to and after the re-animation, chaos ensues from all angles and some amusing 'living' bodies/body parts join in the big fight at the end.

Who survives is down to you to guess!

A pretty decent old-school gory horror film. Sick yet comical. Could be better in some ways but that is usually the charm of these films - cheesy acting and OTT violence! 'Braindead' is the best example, check it out:
Braindead [1993]

Equilibrium [DVD] [2003]
Equilibrium [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Bale excels once again, 12 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Equilibrium [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Not usually the type of film I go for but as a fan of Christian Bale, I thought I'd give it a go when it was on FilmFour recently.

Turned out to be quite a slick, impressive affair with some amazing gun/blade fight scenes. Obviously comic book stuff but there's nothing wrong with fantasy escapism. The costumes and settings were very stylish and their watches looked like one by Storm that I used to have. Nice product placement if they are by Storm.

Sean Bean, a good actor, gets wiped out early on in the film. That always seems to happen with him. His name appears for longer in the credits than he does in the actual film!!

Christian Bale is such a versatile method actor and yet again he plays a different kind of role convincingly. I wonder if his performance here played a part in him getting the role of Batman in 'The Dark Knight'?

The nature of the film, how people's emotions are supressed so they are nothing more than zombies almost, was quite sad and I felt genuine joy when John Preston fought against the system at the end with the result you hoped for! He is one cool guy. His moves reminded me of the great Japanese film, "Ichi the Killer".

Ring 0 [DVD] [2000]
Ring 0 [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Yukie Nakama

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic and Chilling, 8 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Ring 0 [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
One of the saddest films I have seen. Very much like "Carrie" in the sense that Sadako is just a girl terrified of her own powers who wants to fit in.
Yukie Nakama is perfect as Sadako during her short life. She has the looks and vulnerability I envisioned when I read the 'Ring' books.
This film is a very moving slow-burner with some startling revalations about the angst-riddled ghost girl we first saw lurching towards the TV in "Ringu". It made me feel so much for Sadako that the ending made me cry!!
"Ring 0" also features one of the creepiest images I have ever seen! And I've seen it all. When the 'evil' Sadako emerges for the first time towards the end, brrr! The movement and noise is atrocious and makes me squirm thinking of it!!

The Descent [DVD] [2005]
The Descent [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Shauna Macdonald

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Brit Horror for a Good Night In!, 8 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Descent [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
A basic survival story set in the most amazing underground location.

The group of girls were all good, none were overtly annoying or screeching too much as they often do! You can never really warm to characters in films like this because there is not much background history, only of the unfortunate lead character who lost her family. The Irish girl added some humour and there was some mystery surrounding the Asian. The rest were just, well, 'there'.

The film was well-paced with no sluggish interludes. Keeps the viewers' attention held with good action and some moderate gore. Best watched in the dark because it is a very dark film with any lighting being from glowsticks, torches and flares. It would be terrible to watch during the day and lose all atmosphere & tension.

The ending was a bit odd however. But I won't mention any opinions or else it will spoil it if you have not seen the film.

The Reaping [DVD] [2007]
The Reaping [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Hilary Swank

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 7 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Reaping [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
My horror/thriller loving cousin and I settled down to watch this film with keen expectations.

What a disappointing film. I expected the plagues to be affecting huge expanses of America, not just the immediate vicinity! This film had the potential to be an almost disaster movie of Biblical proportions if the plagues featured were made to affect a more widespread area. I think that and the lucicrous lack of scientific involvement in such phenomina occuring let it down. There could have been so much more scale and thrill to it! The characters were pretty weak also and I have still not worked out what exactly the girl wanted, perhaps I simply missed it because the film did not grip me at all. I was clock-watching too much.

The trailer is actually better so we just watched that again instead, more thrills in a few minutes than the whole film duration.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2010 10:04 PM BST

Prancer [DVD]
Prancer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Christmas Delight!, 29 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Prancer [DVD] (DVD)
'Prancer' is a simple tale revolving around a child's fantasy revealing itself beautifully to everyone as magical reality!

The young girl in the lead role plays the part excellently and convincingly. I'm sure many of us will see ourselves in her as we watch this film with more 'grown-up' eyes, how we used to use our imagination and play. The battle of convincing our parents that what we saw/found really did happen!

The girl's relationship with her father and brother has been damaged from the apparent death of her mother and through Prancer, they discover what each other really needs and it's genuinely heart-warming. Perhaps some may find it mushy but no, it's what these type of films are all about! Making you smile and cry at the same time with joy.

Of course not many of us will come across a lost reindeer that belongs to Santa - or will we? ;o)

Hikari
Hikari
Offered by Founders Factory JPN4UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 17 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Hikari (Audio CD)
I played 'Kingdom Hearts' and was mesmerised by the beautiful song at the end credits after my epic battle completing the game. The voice was angelic, the sentiment lovely and the tune horribly catchy so I had to find out what it was!

Utada Hikaru. "Simple and Clean". I have 2 different remixes of this song from the game "Kingdom Hearts" on my iPod and I can confidently say that it is in my top 5 favourite songs ever due to it's pureness, amazing tune and beauty. I have the techno version from the start of the game and the normal version from the end credits.

Her song in 'Kingdom Hearts II' - "Sanctuary" - is very catchy and worthwhile also.

For lovers of timeless, emotional and gorgeous songs that warm your cockles, I highly recommend both of these tracks!

Heat (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (1995)
Heat (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (1995)
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by Bridge_Records

2.0 out of 5 stars Very over-rated!, 17 Dec. 2008
My husband and I read good things about this film and the impressive cast made us record it to watch.

We lasted only 30 minutes!

This film was a typical case of style over substance. The dialogue and look was too slick and unbelievable with stupid open-mouthed gum-chewing characters sporting the classic gelled back hair look. Al Pacino's dialogue upon finding the three dead security van drivers near the start was farcical. I thought 'so you're a forensics specialist too?' The way he was coming out with it in a motormouth fashion. Typical of a film trying too hard.

The absolutely ridiculous 'romantic' scene with De Niro and the woman from the store was laughable. A case of '20 Questions', GBH to the ears, then in for the kiss. Scene just didn't fit or convince, we felt.

The constant scene-changing just made us dizzy so we abandoned ship and watched 'Top Gear'. Their 'Top Gear Challenge' was more convincing ;o)

Two stars awarded because the cinematography was good and it was good to see Natalie Portman in an early stage of her career.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2010 10:37 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7