Profile for S. Hammond > Reviews

Content by S. Hammond

S. Hammond (Nottingham, UK)

Narrow  Stairs
Narrow Stairs
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars A step backwards, 15 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Narrow Stairs (Audio CD)
I don't know why this is so highly rated as this album is actually quite poor apart from the excellent 'Cath'.

I agree entirely with the reviewer who said that "those who jumped on board with Transatlantacism and Plans probably won't welcome the new influences very nicely. And ex-fans of their first few albums, will probably fall in love with 'Cath'".

These two earlier albums are far superior in every way. The "new influences" aren't doing them any favours at all.

If the whole album was upto the standard of 'Cath' I could understand the aclaim - but it isn't.

Trees Outside the Academy
Trees Outside the Academy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar album, 15 Feb. 2009
I've only recently discovered this relatively obscure album and wholly agree with the earlier reviews. Its a great guitar album - mostly acoustic but definitely not folky just sublime rock - akin to Dinosaur Jr but with much less emphasis on grungy electric guitar although J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr does play lead guitar on several tracks! Fantastic album.

Cheap Trick at Budokan
Cheap Trick at Budokan

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly one of the best live albums ever, 15 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Cheap Trick at Budokan (Audio CD)
Had this on vinyl when I was younger and I liked it then. Having recently bought it on CD, it is much better than I remembered. The enthusiasm - bordering on hystreia! - of the Japanese audience really comes across and it's so infectious - you feel as though you could be there. These are just great foot-stomping rock songs - 'I want you to want me' and 'Surrender' are the stand out tracks but the whole album is really, realy good - strongly recommended.

Sony NWZA818 - 8GB Video MP3 Walkman - Upto 30hrs Battery Life - Black
Sony NWZA818 - 8GB Video MP3 Walkman - Upto 30hrs Battery Life - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great for car, 19 Jan. 2008
I've resisted buying an MP3 player until very recently but having bought a new car with limited storage space for CDs and to avoid the hassle of changing CDs on a single slot player, I decided to get an MP3 player for my CD collection and play this through an Aux jack situated in the centre console of my car. I just set the player to 'shuffle' and I've got my favourite tracks playing randomly. There's no problem with volume (which I read may be the case).

I found this great little Sony a doddle to set up and use. I was also considering an IPod Nano but read mixed reviews - I'm so glad I went for this one.