Profile for "lujarab" > Reviews

Content by "lujarab"

"lujarab"

Slammerkin (VMC Designer Collection)
Slammerkin (VMC Designer Collection)
by Emma Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars What a romp and a half!, 7 Dec. 2002
A wonderful chunk of 18th Century life and a joy to read for anyone who is a fan of such. The story is a harsh and grim tale with punishment and redemption thrown in at many strategic opportunities along the way. The characters are believable, the dialogue rewarding and the events which unfurl and bring the teller Mary to her end are engrossing...what an ending, so atmospheric that it draws you in completely that it's a shame it's all over. Excellent!

Oscar and Lucinda
Oscar and Lucinda
by Peter Carey

3.0 out of 5 stars bizarre, 7 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Oscar and Lucinda (Paperback)
Now this is truely one bizarre chunk of a book. Although I agree much of the story is slightly unbelievable the characters are well rounded and you can believe in them as if they were real and sometimes predict how they will behave..although they never fail to suprise! I don't know what I expected when I first opened this book, I suppose I only bought it because I would like to see the film and thought I should read the book first (slightly out of character for me but nevermind). Despite my reservations the futher I read, I did manage to stick with it and was pleasantly rewarded although the story does tend to wander sometimes. If you can be bothered to keep wading through it all it does throw up a few gems, although the ending is a bit of a let down. I had an inkling that Oscar and Lucinda would not end up happily (together) but what did happen was a stupid (on Oscar's part) twist, which if I thought about it, I could have guessed was coming without finishing it...but I am glad that I did. So, I advise anyone who cares to, to roll up their sleeves and put on their determined face if they truely wish to read this book.

Girl With a Pearl Earring
Girl With a Pearl Earring
by Tracy Chevalier

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 13 Jun. 2002
A beautiful and captivating little novel. Wonderful descriptions, vivid emotions, exquisite characters all enveloped in a story evolving from one painting of a young girl with a pearl earring and 'that' expression. As I was reading this book I thought how good it would be if it were possible to transcribe its warmth and quiet intense power to the big screen.....and now I'm so glad they are finally making this into a film...I just hope it captures the mood or the feelings the book creates will be sadly lost.

Lives of the Twelve Caesars (Penguin Classic Biography)
Lives of the Twelve Caesars (Penguin Classic Biography)
by Suetonius

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and thoroughly entertaining !, 24 Aug. 2001
Although personally having a serious interest in the subject matter , even those who are not , would find this book totally enthralling . After picking through it one day in a shop I had to buy it and I read it right the way through in a few days it was so engrossing . Even if parts may just be rumours or assumptions Suetonius ( as he writes after the events ) paints a very colourful picture of the first 11 Emperors of Rome ( plus Julius Caesar ) , covering births , marriages , divorces , affairs of state ( and the heart ) , social activities , Imperial extravagance , political intrigue , conspiracies , battles , executions and more - everything that you could possibly want ! Truly , a classical page turner if ever there was one .
The maps , glossary and family trees at the back of the book are helpful as the reader can visualise where in the world the events are taking place ( eg: where Tiberius took his holidays ) , who everyone is and what they are talking about ( eg: currency , types of gladiators etc.. ).
I recommend it to anyone and bet they will not be able to put it down !