Profile for Bob J > Reviews

Goodmans USB FM Radio with Alarm Clock
Goodmans USB FM Radio with Alarm Clock
Offered by RED 32

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little unit., 20 Mar. 2015
I didn't read the blurb properly before buying this so I didn't realise just how small this unit is! At 5¾" long and 2¾" high it's easily the smallest radio/alarm clock I've had. Being a Goodmans, the sound is pretty good and the digital display is nice, big and bright (but dimmable). Set-up is a bit fiddly but once you've got the hang of the buttons it is really quite straightforward. It takes two AAA batteries as a backup power source so if you have a mains failure you don't have to go through the whole process again. The two USB charging ports are a brilliant addition, so you can charge your phone without tying up another socket.
There is a quick-start guide but if you want a full manual you'll have to go online as there isn't one in the box. The guide tells you how to set and turn the alarm on but not off, so I had to work that out for myself but once you know what buttons do what it's simple - alarm is buzzer, radio or off. Logical really...
All in all, so far I'm very pleased.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men's Razor Blades - 4 Blades
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men's Razor Blades - 4 Blades

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not cheap., 31 Oct. 2014
If you can get these blades at an offer price then do so. Otherwise I think they're a bit expensive, albeit very, very good.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Styler 3-in-1 (Razor, Beard Trimmer, Edging Blade)
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Styler 3-in-1 (Razor, Beard Trimmer, Edging Blade)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best home shave, 31 Oct. 2014
Probably the best wet shave I've had without going to a barber for a hot-towel service.

Trimmer is as good as anything else I've used and the dual-function blades are excellent, if a bit expensive. I like the texture and feel of thie handle and it's also easy to keep clean. Battery life is quite good too.

Home Family Plastic Black Boots Shoes Shelf Rack Stand
Home Family Plastic Black Boots Shoes Shelf Rack Stand
Offered by Universal Color

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps boots upright., 31 Oct. 2014
Keeps boots upright to stop creasing, but don't expect to hang them up unless they are very, very light.

I use this in conjunction with flat rollable boot trees/shapers to keep a pair of leather riding boots in shape and it does what it's supposed to.

Ratcatcher
Ratcatcher
by James McGee

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present, 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ratcatcher (Hardcover)
Bought for my wife, who had the series recommended to her. She loves it. That's all you need to know!

Vivitar DVR748HD 12 Megapixel Digital Video Camcorder - Red
Vivitar DVR748HD 12 Megapixel Digital Video Camcorder - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound level problem but otherwise fine, 31 Oct. 2014
This palm camera looks good, is easy to operate and has decent resolution. Instructions and controls are pretty simple and straightforward.

Build quality: Not the best, of course, at this price, but it's reasonable.
Picture quality: Only used it once and the video shot is quite good.
Sound quality: Terrible. I don't know whether this is a design problem or just this camera but the sound was very low and crackly.
Ease of use: Good; simple instructions, clearly marked buttons, rotating screen.
Battery life: Unknown, I haven't had this long enough to kill any batteries yet.
Software: Comes with a video suite but I haven't used this. Memory is via SD card. I used an 8GB Sandisk card and my recordings were available to watch immediately on my PC, so no issues with file types.

Overall: The only gripe I have is that there doesn't seem to be any way to regulate the recording volume. The sound on my particular camera was very low and crackly, so there's either a fault in the microphone or it's a design fault.

I've returned mine for exchange, hopefully the replacement unit will have good sound to match the rest of the camera's performance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2015 11:58 AM GMT

Vax U88-P3-B Power 3-Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner - 3 Litre
Vax U88-P3-B Power 3-Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner - 3 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Really? That much dirt? OMG!, 18 Sept. 2014
I thought my carpets were OK until I hit them with this. Scary stuff! Great buy at the price.

A Steampunk Guide to Tea Dueling
A Steampunk Guide to Tea Dueling
by Khurt Khave

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad form. Don't buy this, google the proper rules and guide., 18 Sept. 2014
Not the proper rules! And World Champion? I don't think so, I've met two of the World Champions and you aren't one.
Obviously a blatant attempt to cash in on a freely-given concept. What will you claim to be next, World Volley Boater champion?

Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Offered by Cards Against Humanity, LLC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty, but brilliant!, 2 April 2014
I'd had a look at the free online (US) version of CAH so was aware of what was in it but the actuality of playing a game with friends was something else entirely. Highly entertaining, to say the least. One of the few games where you can be creatively nasty, demonstrate extremely bad taste, set out to offend people, but still not lose any of your mates!
One recommendation from a friend: Play this when you're drinking/drunk, as you may not like yourself very much in the morning.
The fact that the rules are pretty fluid helps the game along, andif you can't be bothered keeping score you can simply play each round for laughs/groans/expressions of distaste that the game elicits.
Whoever came up with this must be a complete comedic sociopath, and the blank cards that can be used to add your own nasty comments are another stroke of genius, making every pack effectively unique.
The American version already has several add-on packs, so I can't wait for the UK version to catch up.
Buy this game, but beware: You may not like who you become when you're playing...

Bounder Extra Firm Moustache Wax (10ml)
Bounder Extra Firm Moustache Wax (10ml)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff., 18 Dec. 2013
This is my second 'tache wax, the first having been made by friends of mine as an experiment.

I found it to have excellent hold and firmness, needing very little in the way of touch-ups or reapplication during the course of an evening. It is, however, a very stiff wax and as such was difficult to warm up enough to apply properly. Once on, however, it stays put! I didn't take it off at the end of the evening and found that even having slept on it, it pretty much kept its shape.

Not overly impressed with the aroma, or lack of it, and again as it's a firm-hold wax it was not so easy to fully remove without taking bits of my 'tache with it! Generally though, this is a top-notch product and I have already sent a tin to my nephew, a new convert to facial furniture.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5