Profile for Snerdle > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
You Cross My Path
You Cross My Path

4.0 out of 5 stars Their best for years!, 3 Jun. 2008
This review is from: You Cross My Path (Audio CD)
As is often acknowledged The Charlatans have, throughout their now lengthy existence, always seem to have been also rans to more famous/successful bands. First they were somewhat eclipsed by The Stone Roses, who they vocally at least, somewhat resembled. Then it was Oasis, and as we entered the new millenium a whole host of new indie bands emerged to outsell and eclipse them. Like the Bluetones, a similar worthy but not massively successful band, the Charlatans just kept plodding on releasing an album regularly every two years. Incredible as it seems The 'Charlies' actually preceded Britpop and are now nearly twenty years old and have outlasted almost all their contemporaries. James, another long lasting and middlingly successful band who emerged around the same time, have recently reformed after a lengthy sabbatical, but the Charlies have never been away. Furthermore, they've had very few line up changes; this in itself is a real achievement.
After discovering the Roses only after their demise and quickly acquiring their limited catalogue I was eagerly looking for similar bands; consequently I retrospectively purchased all the Charlatans albums up to and including Us And Us Only, which was the first of their albums actually released after I'd discovered them. However, after listening to them closely I concluded that, although good, there was something slightly lacking in the band. Although the lightweight vocals resemble the Stone Roses, musically they aren't that similar, and I would say the Charlatans never actually made anything so memorable as the Roses classic first album. I think their problem was that they were often more about the sound and the groove rather than the songs; for example they did feature a number of instrumentals, often a sign that a band are having some difficulty producing enough actual good songs; consequently many of their albums although pretty decent, were often just not quite strong enough, and I would argue they never really made a real classic. I actually sold their second album 'Between 10 and 11th', however I always retained an interest in their releases.
I'm afraid I viewed Wonderland, their next release after Us And Us Only, in the same way as most of the critics who described it as their worst yet. I was so relieved at the improvment of Up At The Lake that I bought it. However, after several very careful listens I concluded that this too was a rather patchy effort, although it does contain one of my very favourite Charlatans tracks, As I Watch You In Disbelief', so I sold that too. Again I loved the single Blackened Blue Eyes from their last album, Simpatico, but the rest of the album was nowhere near the same standard and was actually another pretty weak effort.
So we come to Cross My Path, their latest. I've never totally given up on the band and I would say that this album is just about as good as anything they've ever done, perhaps surpassed only by The Charlatans and Telling Stories. After several listens it has to be said that it's still not perfect however; the songs are slightly masked by the production and the vocals are as ever lightweight and slightly buried. The singles Oh Vanity and The Misbegotten are strong tracks, although the other single, the title track is a little too frenetic for me. I also like Missing Beats (Of A Generation), Bird and This Is The End. One problem the band have always suffered from though is there isn't much light and shade, with nearly everything being played at the same tempo. They don't really do ballads and the only slow song, My Name Is Despair is a real dirge and the worst thing on the album. The release is also quite short, even if one adds the two bonus tracks on the limited edition 2 disc version, one of which is an instrumental, whilst the other Acid In The Tea is quite a strong number.
Not perfect then, but certainly their best album of the 00's and probably as good as they're ever going to get again.
If only Blackened Blue Eyes and As I Watch You In Disbelief had been released on this album!

To Be Continued
To Be Continued

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly all you could want., 7 April 2008
This review is from: To Be Continued (Audio CD)
When I was growing up - a period which coincided with Elton's rise to stardom - I wasn't a great fan of his. I liked Honkey Cat, which was nearly the first single I bought, until my mate talked me out of it because Elton wasn't cool, so I bought Take Me Bak Ome by Slade instead! That was essentialy what we felt was wrong with Elton at the time - he wasn't really a rocker. Crocodile Rock and Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting (which always sounded a bit silly when sung by someone patently not tough like Elton! Bit more appropriate when the Who did it, as Roger Daltrey was a fighter!) weren't really rock in the sense that Led Zep or Deep Purple were, whilst there were also too many soppy ballads for teenage boys.
However when I became an adult I bought a greatest hits album and started collecting the early 70's classics when they were remastered in the 90's. It was only after I began playing them again a couple of years ago that I realised actually how good and varied Elton's music was. I was then inspired to investigate his later material, which apart from the obvious hits had always passed me by. So it is from this perspective that I come to this box set.

The first thing that strikes the listener about Elton John is how incredibly prolific he was. Probably only Dylan, Van Morrison and Neil Young have produced as much music and they have all been recording longer. This inevitably means that there is a good deal of inconsistency. And there is little doubt that, like Bowie at the time, he produced some poor albums in the 80's. However there were exceptions. Too Low For Zero in 83, Made In England in 95 and the 00's albums Songs From the West Coast and The Captain and The Kid are as strong as anything he's done. But for every one of these there is a dreadful Victim of Love or a Leather Jackets. I also found Peachtree Road, the acclaimed follow up to the excellent Songs From The West Coast, just boring. So quite often a strong album is followed by a poor one.

This box set contains all the hits, although a couple of them: Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me and the massively well known Candle In The Wind are not in their original versions, but are inferior live versions when Elton was struggling with his voice in the mid 80's. Therefore this box isn't suitable for people who only want all the hits as they know them. Part Time Love is also missing completely. This is a bit annoying when the awful Act Of War with Millie Jackson is included. The excellent The Club At The End Of The Street has also been left off in favour of its B side, a dreadful version of Give Peace a Chance (not a brilliant song melody wise in the first place), which is a ridiculous decision. You do get other singles which weren't hits though, such as the brilliant tribute to John Lennon, Empty Garden, (Hey Hey Johnny). This was one of John/Taupin's very best songs, but because it unnaccountably wasn't a hit is usually left off compilations. There is also another excellent flop Feel Like A Bullet in the Gun of Robert Ford, albeit again in a live version, but this time a good one. There are also four new songs to tempt fans specially recorded for the box; unfortunately none are really memorable and could have been omitted to include better songs such as Part Time Love, The Club At The End Of The Street and Burn Down The Mission.
The booklet contains a lot of excellent photos and an interview with Elton and Bernie. There is also a commentary on his career, but because he has been so prolific it isn't as comprehensive and thorough as it could have been. For example there is no real insight into all the individual songs as you get on some box sets.

It could actually be argued that the box is now somewhat redundant as most of the unreleased songs have subsequently been issued as bonus tracks on the remastered albums. Record companies seem to have a habit of doing this now: issuing a box set full of rarities then issuing those rarities on re-released albums.
I think for someone just getting into Elton or exploring his work in the 80's you might be better buying the remastered albums, as this box set is expensive and not easy to obtain now. But for someone who wants a cross section of Elton's career up to 1990 (remember he's produced tons of music since!) and would like more than just the big hits, it is a very worthwhile purchase.

The Charles Dickens BBC Collection [DVD] [1977]
The Charles Dickens BBC Collection [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Ioan Gruffudd
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete!, 29 Jan. 2008
Although I have only just bought this and haven't even seen one programme yet I can remember some of the adaptations.
Martin Cuzzzlewit and Our Mutual Friend were good but the David Copperfield is far too short. I can remember the version from the 1970's featuring the brilliant Arthur Lowe as a memorable Micawber - a part he was born to play. Surely this more comprehensively faithful version should have been featured rather than the abridged more recent one? Also why not include Nicholas Nickleby and Bleak House, two of Dicken's major novels which are unaccountably omitted. I realise this collection came out too early to feature the recent excellent adaptation of Bleak House, but surely they could have included the fine version from the 1980's. It would have also have been nice to have The Old Curiosity Shop; there was another excellent 70's versions featuring Trevor Peacock as a superb Quilp.
To reduce the collection slightly they could actually have left out Christmas Carol, which after all isn't actually a novel, and has been adapted to death!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2011 5:01 PM GMT

Oh, by the Way (Mini LP Replica)
Oh, by the Way (Mini LP Replica)

4.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity, 19 Jan. 2008
Pink Floyd were of course a major band who produced some great music, but let's be honest they really only made three classic albums: Dark Side of The Moon (still brilliant despite its over familarity), Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Wish You Were Here; the rest were pretty patchy to say the least.

After Barrett's decline they undoubtedly lost their way for a time as is now generally accepted. Their lack of direction is evident on Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and both film sountracks (although Obscured By Clouds is perhaps slighly underrated even now) and reaches its apex on the studio disc of Ummagumma which is pretty much self indulgent rubbish (although the live disc is excellent). They did of course produce some excellent stuff on these albums, most notably Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun on Saucerful, Echoes on Meddle, and I've always rated the other epic track from this era, the title track of Atom Heart Mother; but while ever these were juxtaposed with rubbish such as Seamus (a dog howling over a blues dirge) and Alan's Psychedlic Breakfast, one can hardly call them consistently 'classic' albums. After Wish You Were Here I think Floyd became similarly inconsistent again. For example, I could never really 'get' The Wall, and still can't. It might be an impressive achievement with SOME decent music (Comfortably Numb of course), but it's a very difficult album to gain simple listening enjoyment from, as is the Final Cut. Whilst Animals I could take or leave. The last two albums, whether one regards them as true PF albums or not, are also similarly very patchy, although I'd say Divsion Bell is much stronger than Momentary Lapse of Reason.

So much for the music but I'm afraid this package itself is also as inconsistent. The box itself is neat and nice and certainly saves space. I bought it because I didn't have all the albums and wanted to save space, but I'm afraid the vinyl replicas, whilst sounding like a nice idea, for me don't work. CD's aren't vinyl and the original art work wasn't always better. By replacing my cd reissues with these it means I've lost most of the lyrics and the ones that have been retained are too small to read comfortably. It also means that you lose the excellent photos too. The early albums were basic in their packaging and I think the cd reissues were actually far better. Apart from Piper the discs are the same as the 1994 remasters, so nothing of value there in terms of upgrading the sound, although the new remaster of Piper is brilliant and you can really hear the difference. For example, there were sounds at the beginning of Astronomy Domine I never knew existed. I could never understand why the following album, SOS, wsn't produced anywhere near as well, even though it was the same producer.
But what really irks me about this package is why oh why didn't they include the early singles, or at least Relics and a decent booklet, as befitting a box set, instead of bloody silly coasters and a poster?

Ridiculous!

How can you have a complete set of Pink Floyd without See Emily Play and Arnold Layne, even if you don't include the other less successful singles?

All in all a disappointing package, especially considering the price. Under a hundred quid then it would be a bargain; at the price it is and considering that it's incomplete musically, lacking a booklet, readable lyrics and any decent photos, then you are much better sticking with the individual albums!

The Brit Box
The Brit Box
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

4.0 out of 5 stars Shows why some succeed and some don't!, 9 Dec. 2007
This review is from: The Brit Box (Audio CD)
Following on from their various Nuggets releases covering the 60's and 70's, their 70's punk box, No Thanks and their alternative 80's box, Left Of The Dial, Rhino release a 4 disc box covering the British alternative/indie music scene which succeeded the scene explored on their Left Of The Dial Box.

As the Brit Box begins with the Smiths 1984 release How Soon Is Now (one of their very best songs!), several artists are represented on both this and Left Of The Dial: the Smiths, Cocteau Twins, The Cure (who seem to be on every compilation ever released that covers their lifetime!), Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain, Happy Mondays and the Stone Roses - in the latter's case with even the same song, She Bangs the Drums - feature on both sets. What makes this different however from both the 80's and 70's alternative boxes, which featured half American and half UK acts, is that as you'd expect from the title, it is 100% British.

Rhino are an American company and their releases are primarily aimed at the US market, sometimes only being available as expensive imports; therefore the liner notes, extensive and excellent as Rhino's always are, sometimes read oddly from a UK listener's viewpoint. More significantly perhaps is the fact that sometimes songs are featured because they were better known in the US to the exclusion of the more obvious choices.

I was a big music fan in the early 70's when I was in my early teens, but although I was about 18 at the height of punk, I was never into that music at the time, and again at the time, the early 80's New Romantic scene did little for me, so I actually lost interest in listening to new music almost totally and for years shut my ears to everything but the 60's and 70's greats. Probably the only band I really gave much of a chance to at the time were the Bunnymen themselves, and that was only probably because they sounded like The Doors! I therefore missed out entirely on the Madchester and Shoegazing movements during their lifetimes. It was only probably midway through the Brit Pop scene when hearing bands like Oasis and Supergrass' catchy Alright (which seemed to be everywhere at the time) on pub jukeboxes, that my interest in contemporary music was revived. I remember both Oasis's first two classic albums had been released before I actually caught up with them and the rest of the current scene. I then retrospectively began to get into music once again with a vengeance, buying dozens of cd's per month for years. (I'd originally held out against buying a cd player for years!) The Stone Roses, who I missed out on at their height, have since become one of my all time favourite bands.
Although I am now into middle age I now still keep in touch with what's happening and my interest in music is as great as it was when I was 14. I can't understand why I spent most of my 20's and 30's ignorant of modern music - maybe the 80's has a lot to answer for!
So it is from this perspective I come to this box set.

Some of the artists on discs 3 and 4 are responsible for reviving my interest in music, whilst the ones on disc 1 I discovered retrospectively. Most of the bands on disc 2 were still unknown to me, or only vaguely known as names and no more. So bands such as The Pale Saints, Mighty Lemon Drops, Trash Can Sinatras, Curve and Chapterhouse I was hearing for the first time, having vaguely heard OF them but little more. A good many of the artists on these discs I hadn't even heard of at all even now. Amongst the obscurities and one hit wonders there are of course many of the 80's and 90's best known indie/alternative names from the Bunnymen and Smiths of the 80's to the Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Charlatans from a few years later, to Suede, Oasis, Blur, Pulp of the Britpop years. Most of these bands are represented by well known songs which have already turned up on countless compilations: Live Forever, Common People, The Only One I Know, etc. The major exception to this is Blur, who instead of Parklife or Girls and Boys get Tracy Jacks, an album track, which seems odd. Maybe it's something to do with the American focus of the set? I'm quite glad though that the Boo Radleys, New Order and James are represented by something other than Wake Up Boo, Blue Monday and Sit Down respectively as those three songs seem to turn up everywhere. I'm also glad the Inspiral Carpets brilliant This Is How It Feels is included.

Although this is a massively comprehensive compilation covering nearly every band you've heard of, and many you haven't who were recording during these 15 years, there are a few notable omissions owing to either licensing or space restrictions. Easily the most important band not featured are Radiohead, but there is also no sign of the Stereophonics (who I personally don't care much for anyway), or the House of Love, who were a decent and relatively unsuccessful band from that odd period which preceded Britpop at the turn of the 90's. Most of the bands from this period - Ride, Lush, My Bloody Valentine were commercially unsuccessful. Even the Stone Roses themselves, as important and influential as they were, didn't have that many big hits.
The other main movement from this period apart from the Roses/Happy Mondays Madchester scene was Shoegazing and many of the bands who embraced this movement take up disc 2. To be truthful Shoegazing wasn't commercially successful simply because it mostly wasn't very good. The endless dreaming droning which often obscured any melody becomes quite hard going after about five minutes; and Ride, a band who I thought had some potential if they hadn't have buried their vocals and melodies under layers of droning guitars, epitomise this. They are represented by Vapour Trail, one of their better songs however.
It could be argued that this box set tries to do too much, as the Shoegazers actually had very little in common with the much more catchy and commercially successful Britop bands who succeded them so soon afterwards. The only group who really straddled the two movements were Lush, who became much more pop orientated towards the end of their career and by then could be classed as Britpop, although they are represented here by For Love, one of their earlier Shoegazing type efforts.

Ultimately this is a worthwhile and interesting box set covering 15 years (half the 80's and all the 90's), which in pop music terms is more than a generation; it is therefore unsurprising that we have such a variety of styles.
However I think what it really illustrates, and I think this is true of any era, is that most artists are commercially successful because they are good and record memorable tunes, and the ones who aren't successful mostly quite simply aren't very good. This is as true in the 80's and 90's and today as it was in the 60's and 70's. Other than the Velvet Underground, who truly were 'ahead of their time' I can't think of many bands and artists who were really good and totally unsuccessful.
There are of course a number of artists who were successful despite not being very good! One only has to think of the Spice Girls for an obvious example!

Soup
Soup
Offered by b68solutions

2.0 out of 5 stars Another pointless release!, 17 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Soup (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of the Beautiful South, but like the recent Rolling Stones and Led Zepp compilations this is another unneccessary release. Apart from the fact that I own everything on it as I have all the albums, even for the less committed there are already three BS compilations available and one excellent Housemartins compilation which covers their career much more comprehensively than does this release. Just to try and tempt people to shell out yet again for what they've already bought they've thrown in a DVD edition as well, but it won't be tempting me!
Once again 5 stars for the music and 2 for the album itself.

It's Alive 1974 - 1996 [DVD] [2007] [Region 2,3,4] [NTSC]
It's Alive 1974 - 1996 [DVD] [2007] [Region 2,3,4] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ The Ramones

4.0 out of 5 stars Legendary band warts and all!, 10 Nov. 2007
The Ramones, like the Clash and The Who, were undoubtedly a legendary and highly influential band. It's difficult to know what makes a band legendary, but all three of these bands had much in common. All contained four members, all had unforgettably dynamic stage acts and all had instantly reconizable images. It also helps that all have members who died prematurely, and the Ramones are perhaps unique in that they are one of the few major rock bands where the three main men are all now dead. The Ramones image - leather jackets, tee shirts and torn jeans - was reconizable and unchanging throughout the career spanning 20 odd years of these 2 DVD's. All members of the band retained their hair and looked little different at the end of the second DVD to how they'd looked at the beginning of the first DVD. Lead singer Joey Ramone in particular had a classic rock star image with his extremely tall gangly frame, shoulder length hair, permanent shades and leather jacket. I think there is only one concert here where he isn't actually wearing his leather jacket, whereas the others tend to don them more for the image conscious TV appearances, discarding them for the sweaty concerts. Joey also had a classic microphone stand hugging image, which seems to work better somehow if you're tall and thin. For example, Elton John, discarding his piano and attempting to employ the same technique would simply look foolish! Joey's exaggerately drawled but usually brief, announcements and Dee Dee's introductory shouts of 1234! before every number are also a joy to hear. The Ramones are also unique in that guitarist Johnny Ramone NEVER played a guitar solo - whether he was actually capable of doing so we don't know! And they must be the only band who could get through half a dozen numbers in 10 minutes and the only band who NEVER played a ballad or barely even any mid tempo numbers. Nearly everything was played at 100 mph - and then some!. All of this makes for exciting viewing on these extremely generously filled and good value DVD's.

However, it also means that the songs often sound the same, blending into one another without a break, and there is hardly any light and shade. I therefore found it much better to watch these discs a little at a time. It's like Status Quo, only even more so, a little at a time is exciting, but too much becomes pretty wearing. Some of the extracts you probably wouldn't want to watch more than a couple of times anyway, as the amateur sound and film quality, with often a static camera and lots of black and white fiilm, make them very hard going. It isn't just the early stuff either; the late period Argentina concert on disc 2 also has awful sound. Probably about a quarter of the 2 discs are like this and are really just included for posterity rather than for any real viewing and listening pleasure.
The highlight is undoubtedly the Rainbow concert of New Year's Eve 1977 when the band were captured at their peak in excellent sound and vision.

I say many songs sound the same, but Blitzkreig Bop (which fittingly ends the whole thing), Sheena Is A Punk Rocker, Rockaway Beach and Do You Remember Rock And Roll Radio? are undoubtedly some of the most glorious punk, rock, rock n roll and yes POP songs ever recorded, and it's great to be able to see the band who recorded them performing them, even if you do need to take a break from it from time to time!

Still On Top: The Greatest Hits (3CD)
Still On Top: The Greatest Hits (3CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but hardly 'greatest' hits!, 30 Oct. 2007
A misnomer of a title if ever there was one. Van Morrison is one of those peculiar figures in that while he's undoubtedly a major artist he has actually had very few hits, and the majority of music lovers would probably be hard pressed to name more than half a dozen of his songs. Even Brown Eyed Girl, perhaps his best known - certainly most frequently played - song wasn't a hit in Britain. Van is also unusual in that he's perhaps the only major artist, or certainly long standing musician, who hasn't had either a box set or at least a multi disc best of collection. Of course this 3 disc release now remedies that. For the less committed there is also a 2 disc version. Of course Van's output has been that prolific it could easily run to another disc, or even 2 more! There have been the Best of and Best of Volume 2 and the only recenly released Best of Vol 3, which itself was a double disc, but this collection, whether you buy the 2 or 3 disc version will now supplant them as the premier Van Morrison compilation.
Having said this it is still far from perfect. Firstly,the annotation is extremely skimpy, nor do we get photos. Detailed notes and decent photos are what we have come to expect from proper box sets, and both are totally lacking here. The presentation is very similar to the 3 disc Elton John set that came out a few years ago, however that had much better annotation and more photos. Still On Top - The Greatest Hits (they have to add that, as Morrison already has an album called Back On Top, a similar title) isn't arranged chronologically either,jumping about all over the place without any obvious theme. This may not bother some people, but I find it irritating. I feel that a definitive compilation should trace an artist's career sensibly.
Now we come to the music, and I must be honest here, although I have quite a few Morrison albums I don't like all he's done and I actively dislike some of his output. His first 'proper' album Astral Weeks is not only regarded as his greatest, but one of the greatest rock albums period. I can see why, in that it's full of what were for the time original soundscapes, but it's not an easy listen; and the compilers seem to recognise that here as they haven't included one single track from that album - a 3 disc set and nothing from what is regarded as the artist's greatest release! This in itself is bizarre and shows how hard it is to compile Van Morrison. Astral Weeks is not the only album to have nothing from it here, quite a few others are similarly neglected, whilst other have up to 4 tracks taken from them, which means that the compilation isn't really a definitive overview. One of the most heavily represented with 4 tracks is his next album, Moondance, and I would suggest this is because it was the nearest Morrison came to making a truly great album. Despite the inclusion of the title track, Crazy Love, And It Stoned Me and the brilliant Into the Mystic (perhaps my favourite Morrison song) the compilers have still had to omit classics such as Caravan and These Dreams Of You.
I generally prefer Van's up temp r n b influenced songs rather than his long drawn out excursions into celtic mysticism or whatever it's called, consequently I lost interest in him after Hard Nose The Highway although I did reagain it more recently and bought his 3 relatively recent albums: Back On Top, Down The Road and Magic Time. Personally I think these are as good as anything he's done in his long career,as do the compilers here, taking 2 tracks each from Back On Top and Magic Time and 3 from Down The Road. Another album heavily represented is Avalon Sunset with 4 tracks; this was a Morrison album I used to own, but sold.
Ultimately, despite the eccentricities of some of the selections here, this is as definitive complilation of Van Morrison as you're going to get. Because of the length of his career and vast output it would be difficult to like all he's done. Van also has the tendency sometimes to ruin a song with endless repetition or simply silly noises. See for example Georgia On My Mind, on the otherwise excellent Down The Road, thankfully not included here. He tends to do this on the longer songs, which in Morrison's ouvre are usually long, not because of any instrumental virtuosity but because of vocal self indulgence; consequently the 11 minute Listen to the Lion from St Dominic's Preview actually ceases to be a song after about 5 minutes and turns into a repetitive dirge - this happens to much of Astral Weeks, presumably this is why nothing has been included here. Instead of Listen To The Lion or one or two of the other long dirges, such as the irritating Rave On John Donne, I would have liked to have had more of the shorter r n b type tracks, such as Call Me Up In Dreamland from His Band and the Street Choir or the aforementioned These Dreams Of You from Moondance.

Led Zeppelin - Mothership - Very Best Of (2CD/DVD)
Led Zeppelin - Mothership - Very Best Of (2CD/DVD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another pointless release, 28 Oct. 2007
Like the Stones reissue 'Rolled Gold' this is a totally pointless, cash in for Christmas, release. I have the box set of all Zep's albums plus the excellent DVD. Why therefore would I, or most other fans, be remotely interested in this? Even people who just want the 'best of' already have alternatives. Indeed this is actually just an earlier compilation with a different cover and title - oh and they've thrown a DVD in! Once again, as with 'Rolled Gold' five stars for the music and two for the re-issue itself.

Rolled Gold (Special Edition)
Rolled Gold (Special Edition)
Offered by swankers3

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another pointless re-release, 28 Oct. 2007
Record companies really are scraping the barrel now with re-releases. What is the point of this release when we already have the more comprehensive 'Forty Licks' and the even better three cd Singles Collection? Then of course there are the other 'Hot Rocks' Stones compilations released in the band's hey day. Okay so it might be the first time it has been released on cd - I used to have it on vinyl when it was first released in 1975 as it was the most comprehensive collection of Stones material from the 60's at the time, however it has since been greatly surpassed - but it's about the fifty first time these tracks have been re-issued. Who on earth will buy this I don't know and just what will record companies do next to re-sell us what we already have?
The music is of course five stars, but as we're reviewing this pointless release it gets two stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2008 1:04 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11