Profile for Ken Evans > Reviews

Content by Ken Evans

Ken Evans "ormer" (Stickford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
WD My Cloud Ex2 Desktop Network Attached Storage 2 Bay (2 x 6 TB) - 12 TB
WD My Cloud Ex2 Desktop Network Attached Storage 2 Bay (2 x 6 TB) - 12 TB

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable connection, 3 Sept. 2017
I have one of these devices running on a wired gigabit network with three Windows 10 Pro PC's.
The EX2 does everything that is claimed in the product specification.

However it has one unforgivable performance feature that is not mentioned in the product blurb - the connection is unreliable!
Sometimes I can see the EX2 drive in File Explorer and sometimes I can't.
The invisibility seems to happen just when I want to retrieve or store a file.
WD support say that this is a "known problem" and they are working on it.
Awful!

Memory: From Mind to Molecules (Scientific American Library paperback)
Memory: From Mind to Molecules (Scientific American Library paperback)
by Larry R. Squire

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Descartes!, 24 Aug. 2017
This is one of the relatively few books that provide a clear explanation of how your brain works as an electrochemical control system. The author provides useful and extensive references to experiments and research. Collectively, the references and the text do a great job of debunking the dualism of René Descartes.

Huawei Unlocked B315 4G/ LTE 150 Mbps Mobile Wi-Fi Router (Genuine UK Stock)- White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Superb - Outstanding!, 30 Oct. 2016
This is a superb product. I live in a rural area with ADSL2 based 2.5 Mbits/sec download & 0.3 Mbits/sec upload - which is truly awful for anything other than simple internet usage. (I'm up to 100GB+ usage per month and growing - mainly software development & software updates)
Then I discovered that the Vodafone 4G network has a good signal strength in my area.
So I bought a Vodafone data sim card and ordered the Huawei B-315.
Amazon sent the package via DPD and it arrived the day after I placed my order.

After unpacking and reading the short and clear instructions, I started the installation process.
Within less than one hour I had 3 PC's, two printers and my phone running at 35 Mbits/sec.
Even better, the B-315 has four 1GB Ethernet (RJ45) sockets so I plugged my WD EX2 NAS box into one of them and I now have fast access to the terabytes of data in my NAS box.

So after years of frustration of waiting for OpenReach to get round to providing a fibre connection, I now realise that I don't need to wait for OpenReach to get round providing a fibre link and I can save money by cancelling my exorbitantly expensive landline.

A great experience!

Note: My preparation included finding out where the 4G signal is strongest in my house.
I did this by using the signal strength meter in my S7 Edge Android smartphone (also with Vodafone)
To see the signal strength use:
Settings>About device>Status>SIM card status

The 4G signal strength on the windowsill where I put the B-315 is 103 dBm and 36 asu.
As a guide: 50 dBm is excellent, 120 dBm is useless.

Pencil Sharpener, High Quality Electric & Battery Operated, Great for Office School & Kids From Imikas, The Best, Better Than Any Manual Pencil Sharpener, Sharpen Your Pencils Now Hassle Free!

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than my old pencil sharpeners, 7 Oct. 2016
This is a really excellent piece of kit.
I have three other pencil sharpeners (one electric) and the ImiKas sharpener is ten times better than any of the others.

Mini DP to DP, Rankie 4K Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter Male to Female (Black) - R1134
Offered by Rankie-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Sept. 2016
Excellent. Well made and looks good.

Mini DP to HDMI, Rankie Gold Plated 1080P Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt Port Compatible) MiniDP to HDMI HDTV Male to Female Converter Adapter (Black) - R1130
Offered by Rankie-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 27 Sept. 2016
Excellent product. Really well made and looks good.

The Great Deception: Can the European Union survive? - EU Referendum Edition
The Great Deception: Can the European Union survive? - EU Referendum Edition
by Christopher Booker

5.0 out of 5 stars A great contribution to democracy, 16 Jun. 2016
This well researched book is a "must read" for anyone who wants to understand the history and purpose of the EU.
The Kindle price of £1.99 makes it affordable and accessible by most people.
By uncovering the behind-the-scenes goings on, Christopher Booker and Richard North have made a great contribution to democracy.
This should be a set book at Universities and Secondary schools.

A View from Beneath the Dancing Elephant: Rediscovering IBM's Corporate Constitution

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique case study of how to grow and then wreck a great company, 3 Mar. 2016
I Joined IBM UK in 1973 and spent 9 years as a salesman and the rest on international marketing and teaching.
I resigned in 1987 - partly because I could see the writing on the wall - the impending Financialisation of MY company!
When I read your book, tears came to my eyes as I read your very well written account about how my 1987 predictions had played out in the following years.
Your book provides solid evidence to show how Financialisation in the boardroom wrecks companies and public institutions.
The clarity of your description of IBM's history provides a unique case study of how a great business can be created and how easily it can be wrecked by executives who only care about money.
Thanks for all your efforts in creating this masterpiece.

What Is Data Science?
What Is Data Science?

1.0 out of 5 stars No science in here!, 4 Mar. 2015
The utter disconnect between the title and the content suggests that the author does not know much about science.

Austerity: The Demolition of the Welfare State  and the Rise of the Zombie Economy
Austerity: The Demolition of the Welfare State and the Rise of the Zombie Economy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent well researched book. A must read!, 5 Feb. 2015
This well researched book provides solid evidence of the truth of the author's claims such as:
Our NHS has been privatized by political stealth.
Our education system is going the same way.

This book explains how the public institutions that the British people have funded are being gobbled up by private financiers aided and abetted by many politicians.

The book makes it clear that in the future, the British people will have to pay more and more to private companies for their essential services. This is just wrong - and its not necessary!

Read this book right away.
Tell your friends to read it as well!
Then vote the culprits out at the general election.

Page: 1 | 2