Profile for Mr. Ja Burmeister > Reviews

Content by Mr. Ja Burmeister

Mr. Ja Burmeister (UK)

Neoteck Banana Plug to Alligator Clip Test Lead one Pair Crocodile Clip Lab Test Cable with Banana Plug Heavy Duty 0.8M Long for Multimeter
Offered by Neoteck

Brother DCP-9020CDW Multifunction Colour Laser Wireless Printer
Brother DCP-9020CDW Multifunction Colour Laser Wireless Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, just lacks good driverless instructions for Linux., 30 Mar. 2017
Originally I was quite upset with this printer. I posted a poor review. It seamed to be quite Linux hostile. Trying to get you to install their closed 32bit drivers to print or scan.

BUT you don't have to mess up your nice clean 64bit system. And will be fine with an ARM machine, or anything else you are running Linux on.

This printer is now listed in CUPS. For "Make and Model" choice: "Brother -> DCP-9020CDW -> Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlcolor". Once applied, go to "Printer Options" and select "Normal" instead of "Normal Greyscale". You probably want "Double-sided printer" to be "On (Flip on Long Edge)" too.

For scanning, setup a Samba read/write share and then set it as a network profile on the printers web interface. When you are by the machine scanning, you can then select to save the scan result to that profile and it will appear in that folder on the machine. No going out to the internet mail server and back again.

So actually, it's a perfectly good printer for Linux. Just lacks decent instructions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2017 1:49 AM BST

Philips SBCHC8440/00 headphone - headphones (10 - 20000 Hz, 100 dB, 3.2 cm, Neodymium, FM, Wireless)

4.0 out of 5 stars The sound is perfectly good enough for my not so great hearing and the ..., 14 Dec. 2015
I've had a pair of these for 5 years. They have been used daily as they live at work.
Previously with wired headphones, I kept accidentally sweeping everything off my desk with the wire. Or subconsciously chewing through the wire while I work. Wireless headphones have been a big improvement.
The sound is perfectly good enough for my not so great hearing and the signal strength always seams to trump that of others leaving them listening to Radio Joe and me perfectly happy. The headphones themselves don't leak sound so I can have it loud enough to block everything else out and not disturb others. Only thing I would improve is the robustness, I'm probably going to have to replace them soon.

Linux Kernel Development (Novell Press)
Linux Kernel Development (Novell Press)
by Robert Love

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but depending what you want, not the best, 19 Feb. 2010
I got this book to learn more about operating systems and Linux.

It's ok, quite good even, but for me, a far better book is "Lions' Commentary on UNIX 6 Editition with Source Code". It's much older, but it walks you through the real code of a operating system that started it all.

Lions' Commentary on UNIX with Source Code
Lions' Commentary on UNIX with Source Code
by John Lions

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 15 Nov. 2009
This is a truly great book. The best computer book I've read. Its place as a classic is justified. A posting on Slashdot pointed me to it and just it's history alone made me interested in getting a copy. One of the great things about this is that it's a small OS, so easier to digest, but it's surprisingly relevant to today's Unix like OSs. John Lion's commentary is complete but light hearted. I can't recommend this book enough. It's a perfect example of code that is the result of design, evolution and art!