Profile for KCLS > Reviews

Content by KCLS

KCLS (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Jonathan Adler Punctuation Cover  for Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Touch, Black/White
Jonathan Adler Punctuation Cover for Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Touch, Black/White

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but already a little shabby, 1 Aug. 2017
Design is great, it's robust , provides good protection, fits great and holds my kindle securely. However I've had it for just over a week and the edges are already starting to wear - with grey showing through the black. So if you don't mind it looking shabby it's fine, but for the price I would have expected more than a week of looking good. Now my kindle goes everywhere with me, I just chuck it into whatever bag I may be carrying at the time - but that's the whole point of the cover, to stop damage and stand up to being knocked against. So a little disappointing.0
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sixty Degrees North: Around the World in Search of Home
Sixty Degrees North: Around the World in Search of Home

2.0 out of 5 stars I was really disappointed with this book, 7 July 2017
I was really disappointed with this book. I was expecting word pictures of many places en route and to learn quite a lot about places I really know nothing about, and to be fair he did a small amount of descriptions of the places, but as soon as he started painting the picture of where he was he digressed to maundering on about himself. I now know about the presence of two fauna in Canada I didn't know about before, but honestly, that's about it. Odd, I did read to the end, I think because I kept hoping it would get better. It doesn't.

Mini Retractable Cable Wired USB Optical Mouse for for Apple Mac HP Dell Lenovo Thinkpad Sony Asus Acer Tablet/PC, EEEKit 2in1 Travel Solution Kit

2.0 out of 5 stars Intermittently useful, 28 April 2017
Arrived quickly and looked just as advertised - two in the pack and I've been using them both and they are driving me mad. when they first get used they are as responsive as you would hope but later in the session it gets harder to get a click to register, can get so you need to click on something half a dozen times before it will select. Occasionally they even stop moving about as though the connection has dropped. They are very small, but also very frustrating, so much that after a few months I've given up on them

Poison (Cambridge Murder Mysteries Book 1)
Poison (Cambridge Murder Mysteries Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Present Tense, 21 Nov. 2016
Personal foible, but others may share it, so word of warning, this is written in the present tense and if you find that annoying this is very, very annoying. The setting was well evoked, the plot as coherent as many and it wasn't riddled with American misnomers, but the characters didn't engage me enough to get over the style. I'd say if it's cheap enough, give it a go and find out if it annoys you or not - If you're ok with the writing style then this is well worth the reading as the setting and plot are entertaining - I just didn't like the characters enough to care if anyone found the murderer or not.

Deadly Engagement: A Georgian Historical Mystery (Alec Halsey Mystery Book 1)
Deadly Engagement: A Georgian Historical Mystery (Alec Halsey Mystery Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars What is it with cliff-hangers?, 21 Nov. 2016
Hmmm, yes, good engaging writing, but I hate a cliff-hanging what's-going-to-happen-next ending - it always feels like a trick played on the readers to make sure they buy the next book. Surely it's better to end it neatly and tidy up the loose ends, rather than leave a corpse lying around unattended. The characters are perfectly engaging enough to make folk keen to read the rest of the series. I just don't like feeling blackmailed, so I won't be buying the rest.

Shh! We Have a Plan
Shh! We Have a Plan
by Chris Haughton
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars grown-ups too, 9 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Shh! We Have a Plan (Board book)
I bought this as a silly gift for my sister last Christmas (she's 59 - and having told you that I may not make it to 54...). Absolutely the most successful stocking filler she got. It's a charming book, illustrations, words and the underlying humour and lessons. I know it's intended for kids, and reading all the reviews is seems to fulfil that mighty well, but I think, for anyone who likes something a bit quirky and has yet to grow into a serious, "literature-only" reader, it's great. You'd need to know the adult you buy it for - but so far, she's praised it so much two different friends of ours have a copy in their kid-free libraries. Delightful discovery.

The Adventure of Hadrian Hedgehog
The Adventure of Hadrian Hedgehog
by Candida Lycett Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and easily remembered, 21 Aug. 2015
the tale in poetry of Hadrian and friends, written by John Betjeman's daughter. Hadrian the Hedgehog was quite handsome in a way, his prickles were of speckled hue, his eyes a gentle grey....His friend, Sir Wilfred Weasel was preposterously gay, which sometimes made poor Hadrian feel envy and dismay...Wilfred goes looking for a wife, Hadrian chums him and the poem in the tale of their adventures. I loved in as a kid, I rather love it still, and can still quote reams of it a good 40 years on! Really, if your kids like poetry, it's a charm.

The Paranormal 13 (13 free books featuring witches, vampires, werewolves, mermaids, psychics, Loki, time travel and more!): Now with a bonus 14th novel!

1.0 out of 5 stars for Young Adults, 24 Jan. 2015
1st one has a cliff-hanger ending, and if there was a warning of them, I missed it. Next two were obviously for young-adults, and I am, thank goodness, rather past that. Didn't read any more because by that time I was irritated and bored, so if you are a young adult who likes cliff-hangers, this is probably a great read.

Stump Teapot (Red) 18oz
Stump Teapot (Red) 18oz
Offered by PureGusto Coffee Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 20 Nov. 2013
I bought this a few months ago, to have at the office and use loose-leaf tea. It seems small - two small mugs or one really big mug full (18oz is, I think fluid oz), but it does me fine - It wouldn't work as a family teapot, unless you buy everyone their own, which seems overkill! Mine appears a bit darker that that pictured, but it's a great colour. Only issue I have is that the tea does go cold quickly, which I imagine a tea-cosy would help. I drink lapsang-souchong, but you wouldn't know it from the smell of the tea-pot - a quick rinse rids it of the smokey smell, so I believe it would be good for all the highly scented fruity teas that abound nowadays, without the scent of one leaching into the next.
Purpose-made cosies would be a good addition to help the quick-cooling.
I'm buying a second one for home, as the internal seive is a lot more handy than carefully not drinking the bottom layer in the mug, or juggling separate strainers and saucers to hold them, so, given I'm a scot and so theoretically mean, it must be a winner!

Accidentally Wolf (Seraphine Thomas Book 1)
Accidentally Wolf (Seraphine Thomas Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 24 Sept. 2012
very entertaining if a little silly - but i suppose the latter is true of the whole genre. must admit about half way through the traits developed were piling up like fallen leaves in autumn but explanations came just before i hit the "just too absurd" point and gave up. In truth it would be worth money and I will keep an eye open for more in the series (she still has at least one obstacle to overcome...). I recommend this as a fun read.

Page: 1 | 2