Profile for audrey hyvonen > Reviews

Content by audrey hyvonen

audrey hyvonen (massachusetts, USA)

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars top choice for sleep change, 24 Nov. 2003
I have recommended this book to a whole handful of parents in this last month alone. There's a waiting list for it at our local library. This book is an answer to many parent's greatest challenges- it details OPTIONS to explore in your child's sleep plan and offers hope to all- no matter what the parenting style. Most important to me- it prioritizes the child's emotional well-being and health and promises NO-CRY combinations which really worked for our family.
I was waking many times each night and placing a lot of blame on my 2 year old for her waking cycles. She slept just next to me in her own little bed and would rouse often during the night. After charting her waking habits for 10 non-judging days (as recommended in this book) I was able to recognize small changes we needed to make to assist her, and large changes we needed to make to assist me! I realized that the amount of sleep she was getting was working just fine, but that my sleep was being disturbed by my next pregnancy, and that mild insomnia was clouding my judgement. The book has two sections- one for young infants and then one for older babies and toddlers. I was pleased to find that the ideas were applicable to such a large range. NORMAL sleep cycles and their variablity are explained and simple, effective methods of charting to detect patterns are provided. A menu of solutions is proposed for all sleep issues from which parents can choose what works best for them.
A fabulous book- a must for every parent's library.