Profile for PigPig > Reviews

PigPig (UK)

The Red House
The Red House

2.0 out of 5 stars TOO RANDOM, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Red House (Kindle Edition)
Self indulgent psuedo-intellectual s***. Maybe some writers do only have one book inside them. so loved the first one but they have got steadily more mediocre ........ such a pity.

Contractors' Handbook: The Expert Guide for UK Contractors and Freelancers
Contractors' Handbook: The Expert Guide for UK Contractors and Freelancers
by Dave Chaplin

5.0 out of 5 stars Five fat stars! Excellent, factual and informative...., 10 Jun. 2013
I have been an independent contractor with my own limited company for 6 months and I am finding this book absolutely indispensable. Although it goes through the whole decision making process of why one might want to become a contractor and I had already taken that step, it was a great checklist for start up activities and for someone who has not yet taken the leap, it is a great support resource.
Chapters on marketing oneself to contracts and IR35. As well as lots of advice on how to comply with HMRC processes with as little stress as possible.
It doesn't show you how to compile annual reports but to be honest most self respecting business owner who isn't already a qualified accountant should get an accountant to do that side of things anyway. This book is about transitioning to independence, discharging one's duties as company director or umbrella company contractor and how to secure successful contracts.
Highly recommended!!

Access Growhouse, Mini Greenhouse, Cold Frame
Access Growhouse, Mini Greenhouse, Cold Frame
Offered by Access Garden Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Growhouse, 3 May 2013
This is an excellent product. Well made and easy to assemble. I'm not saying it is quick to assemble. It took two of us most of a day but that was because we wanted to take our time and get it right. With these kinds of constructions, you do reep what you sow in terms of care when putting it together. For example, the "squaring process" is a stage that requires patience and care and which if done right will make all the difference when fitting the glass and the ease of sliding the doors. Anyone who has done "Meccano" as a child (I have done lots!) will find this easy to assemble. It is essentially adult Meccano. The quality of the parts is excellent - all the holes line up and the parts fit together snugly and well. The instructions are well written and clear. I came a cropper on one step but when I re-read the instruction I realised I had mis-read it and assumed I had been provided with the wrong sized bolt- not so. I bought the optional ground fixing kit and recommend that. Easy to fit and again everything is provided. The only things which would enhance the product are better quality shelving- it is ok and does fold flat (which I wanted, so that I can grow tomatoes in the Summer) but isn't very sturdy. The other improvement would be photos in the instructions. But otherwise it is a fabulous product and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to add a greenhouse to their garden but doesn't have the space.

Biogreen Warmax Light Paraffin Light
Biogreen Warmax Light Paraffin Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Working Well- just needs some care...., 3 May 2013
I read a lot of reviews on a good number of different heaters before going for this one.
We have a growhouse that is 4 foot x 2 foot x 5 foot.
Most of the paraffin heaters had some poor reviews amongst some very good reviews. in other words, there was a big range of opinion on All the heaters I looked at.
The poor reviews mentioned sooting up as the main issue.
I am very happy with this heater. You do have to take care with the wick height. You should allow at least 2 hours with the wick soaking in the paraffin (don't dismantle, just fill the fuel tank, and fit the wick holder in place and leave in a ventilated place for a couple of hours before lighting).
Light the wick and turn it down until you get a flame about 1.5cm high. Leave it lit for another hour or so and adjust the wick height as needed to maintain the flame height. The first time you light it, the end of the wick material will burn off and so you will likely need to increase the wick a little. Mine actually went out after around 15 minutes on first lighting.
If you take care, you will not get sooting. Flame height is paramount.
Also, I'm not a big reader of instructions.....but I did read the instructions for this and they are worth reading.

Dell Professional P2411H 24 inch Widescreen Monitor with LED
Dell Professional P2411H 24 inch Widescreen Monitor with LED

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 25 July 2011
First off let me say that I am just an average household user BUT that I will also be using this monitor for working from home also and that this will involve a lot of work on spreadsheets. So I wanted a monitor to replace a 10 year old, 17" LG monitor which is still working fine and has and is an excellent monitor but I felt I needed to move to a widescreen monitor and that with a larger monitor I would be able to handle all those spreadsheets more easily as well as have a really good monitor for media applications.
So, why did I choose this one? Firstly I like Dell products. I have recently replaced a Dell Latitude laptop after 7 years and it has done brilliantly in that time and travelled with me all over the world, so I have no complaints. I should say though that I was not restricting my search to Dell alone. I wanted a professional one that have fewer gizmos with most of the cost being spent on a simple quality device. I didn't want to spend a fortune. And finally, but quite importantly to me, I wanted an all-matt screen- frame and panel. So I thrawled through many many reviews on Amazon and finally chose this one because:
1) it is matt (black) all over
2) it is height adjustable
3) it has 2 USB ports
4) it had very good reviews from users (most importantly)
5) the price was good
So, how is it? Well it arrived very quickly (well done amazon) and was well packaged. It was the easiest thing to assemble- and the click of the stand into the back of the monitor sounded like real quality. And it really was plug and play. I connected the VGA cable (it comes with the cable and a DVI cable also), plug it into the mains and switched it on. Immediately it set the optimum resolution and away I went. The menu buttons on the right hand side are simple and straightforward.
I didn't load the "powernap" software as I noticed somepeople had had issues after loading it.....you can decide if you want to do this but this software is all about energy saving, which is a good thing. I just didn't want it to interfere with any of my other programmes.
All in all and very good monitor. Remember I probably couldn't tell one monitor in terms of picture quality from another but this is doing an excellent job- so that's job done for me.

Cat Mate Replacement Flap (fits The Cat Mate 204 209 304 309 234 or 235)
Cat Mate Replacement Flap (fits The Cat Mate 204 209 304 309 234 or 235)
Offered by MasterPlastics

5.0 out of 5 stars PURRFECT!, 4 April 2011
Brilliant that I could get a flap replacement separately. Fits a dream and meant I didn't have to replace the whole thing which was marvellous!! Very Happy Cat!

Hard Candy Cases Street Skin Case for iPad - Black
Hard Candy Cases Street Skin Case for iPad - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing......, 4 April 2011
I bought this for my iPad. It is really tough material- in fact it is so rigid, it was very hard to actually get the case onto my ipad. So from a protection standpoint, I think it would have done the job well. What caused me to send it back was that once on it didn't fit really well. The long side wrap-around edges didn't lie flat against the ipad screen- they pulled away- in other words it wasn't quite wide enough across the back. I was very disappointed- it was just a mm or two away from perfection.

Gem Camera Case for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP1, DMC-FP2, DMC-FP3
Gem Camera Case for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP1, DMC-FP2, DMC-FP3
Offered by GEM Bags & Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim but Sturdy- in a word "PERFECT", 4 April 2011
I bought this cover for my new Panasonic Lumix DMC FP2. I bought the camera specifically to be able to take it with me in my pocket and take shots while I was out walking- scenary but also texture shots and close-ups. So it is small and simple. So I needed a minimalist case which protected yet was slim and didn't add bulk to the camera. Why have a pocket-sized camera and then bulk it up with the case? I am really pleased with this case. The material is woven in a similar fashion to backpack material. It is padded and has a magnetic fastening- I much prefer this to velcro or a bulky clip. The lid just flaps to and closes no problem- no need to locate the magnetic piece either like on some fastenings. Inside there is a fleecy lining which is very soft and protects the LCD screen. For the money, it is top value. Just what I wanted. GEM do a variety of sizes for a range of cameras and I would really recommend them.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness it doesn't do everything!!, 23 Oct. 2010
I have had my Kindle 3G for 24 hours (I chased the postman round our village to retrieve the package, like some crazed woman!)
I have the Amazon Lighted Cover to go with it- Chocolate Brown.
OMG I am agog with amazement. I never realised how tired my eyes got reading on an illuminated screen but this is totally fantastic- I can even read for longer than I can from an actual book- it's brilliant!
And, thankyou Amazon for NOT making it do everything. I'm getting sick of phones that do everything under the sun except whose signal strength is so dodgey it cant even fulfill its supposed primary function in life- to make calls! So this is totally refreshing. It is an eBook and that is what it does best. Quite rightly so.
The experimental bits and bobs are interesting (please don't go down the iPad route, Amazon, with your eBook)but because it doesn't do 101 things, it's actually much more relaxing and less stressful to use it.
Yes, some of the menus are a little clunky and the SYM screen is a bit frustrating at times but that's a tiny niggle and with the Alt+letter shortcut for numbers and a full-stop on the keypad, I hardly use the SYM menu.
I would prefer the front cover material to be the same rubberised material that is on the back but again that's probably just me.
By the way, the light on the cover is excellent- perfectly positioned and is right there whenever you need it. Mine actually gives very even light across the screen.
I CANNOT FAULT IT- IT'S TOTALLY FABULOUS!!
IF YOU ARE WONDERING WHETHER TO OR NOT- DO IT. I WASN'T A VERY AVID READER UNTIL I GOT ONE........
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2015 9:45 AM BST

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Lighted Leather Cover, Chocolate Brown (only fits Kindle Keyboard)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful, 16 Oct. 2010
Like many other "sad" reviewers I find myself with a cover and no Kindle(yet). But what a cover! Let me dwell on the colour for a moment as it's the colour that is actually a very important element. I ordered the chocolate brown one after much thought (again like other reviewers- yes, I read 111 reviews before I decided to buy this one). To get an idea of the colour, open a tin of cocoa powder- it's a rich chocolate brown just as described and you feel like you'd like to eat it- it@d that chocolatey! It is a wonderful colour- utterly delectable. I did find the photos of the non-lighted covers to be more accurate than those which accompany the lighted versions- so take a look at those before you buy.
Ok, that's the colour out of the way. I also opted for the lighted version. Now I can't speak for the light as yet (I will update this once I get my Kindle 3G) but the design of this case is fantastic and it is very well made.
The smell of the leather wafts up while you are holding it. It is strongly stitched and the combination of textured and smooth leather is inspired.
The light mechanism seems perfectly secure to me. Others have reported it as being either flimsy or difficult to pull out or push back in. I found it to be robust and also a very smooth operation to pull out and push in. It requires a firm thumb and forefinger grasp and a steady pull or push action and it works perfectly.
The extra weight is not an issue. The protection it will offer my Kindle is better than good and if this adds a little extra weight then so be it.
And yes, it feels like a book! All in all, I'm absolutely delighted with it. c'mon 111 people can't be wrong- and that's just the tip of the iceberg I imagine
Stay tuned for my review of my Kindle- c'mon Amazon- put me out of my misery.....
Oh and by the way- I don't think it's over priced. If you get a pounds-worth of pleasure from it every week, after a year you'll have more than paid for it. It's simply beautiful......