Profile for Brian > Reviews

Content by Brian

Brian

JBL On Beat Xtreme High Performance Loud Speaker Dock with UK/EU Mains Adapter Compatible with Apple iOS Devices with Bluetooth - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars You Wont be Disappointed !, 3 April 2013
I dont often, if ever write reviews about purchases however in this instance I feel I have to. Over the years I have owned some very high end Hi Fi from niche UK manufacturers. For the past few years I have been without any Hi- Fi of any sort and have relied on my iphone/ipod for music using a basic and unsatisfactory dock or fairly standard headphones. Last week I did something I have never done with a hifi item before and would not normally recommend; I purchased a piece of audio equipment off the back of reviews in magazines without listening before hand. The JBL Onbeat Xtreme is a slightly quirky looking dock with bluetooth connectivity. This is a well made and solid piece of equipment. I have read criticism of a "flimsy" arm setup for gripping an ipod or ipad but I don't entirely agree. It is plastic, but seems to be constructed from high quality materials and the rotation movement from horizontal to vertical is smooth, with no excess play or slack. My ipod and ipad are held firmly and I have no worries at all about the connection. Connecting the device to my iphone was a breeze and took a few seconds. Within a minute I was listening to music of a quality I had not heard for some time. Most impressive was the bass. Given the size of the Xtreme this is never going to replace a pair of quality floorstanders but I am astounded at the depth and precision of the bass. To confirm, I listened to Hotel California from the Eagles Live album - Hell Freezes Over. This was an acid test as the opening section to this track has deep stomach churning bass drum which can sound amazing. I have to tell you that within a few bars this dock had me bowled over. I dont know how they do it but the depth and clarity of the bass is frankly stunning. Since then I have listened to tracks from many artists and am totally sold on the abilities of this little box of tricks. Everything, from bass to treble frequencies, is handled well and is controlled without any hint of distortion. I am back enjoying music again and at the end of the day that is what all this is about.

If you are in the market for an ipod docking device in this price range - get one. You will not be disappointed. I have heard the B&W Zepplin a few times and whilst it is a great looking dock and sounds good, I actually think this is better. In the past I have paid more for a connecting lead on my hi-fi, and given that the JBL is £270 cheaper than the Zeppelin, the choice is an absolute no brainer.