Profile for calmwriter > Reviews

calmwriter (Sheffield)

Sony TCM200DV.CE7 Voice Operated Tape Recorder
Sony TCM200DV.CE7 Voice Operated Tape Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars no counter, 21 Mar. 2011
I bought this product because it could double the length of recording time and also because it plays ordinary cassettes, not micro-cassettes. But I forgot to check before buying if there was a counter. There isn't a counter. This probably renders this product totally impractical to most users because you can't find the position of anything on a tape after making a recording on it.

Some people may not need a counter but frankly I'm stunned that Sony would manufacture a product like this without one because it immediately limits the number of people who will buy it.

Other than the lack of a counter, I would say this is a good item for the price.

Listening: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides)
Listening: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides)
by Madelyn Burley-Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book in this field, 8 Mar. 2010
The skill of listening is perhaps one of the most important skills which we can learn because it is a skill that can be used every day of our lives with family, friends and at work. How many skills are there that you can say the same about?

I was quite disappointed with this book 'Listening: The Forgotten Skill.' It can teach listening skills so your money isn't wasted but I know from this book that the author also teaches courses in assertiveness skills and I got a strong feeling that she was using most of the material from that course in this book.

For example there is a chapter called 'Listening to Yourself' which I believe did not need to be included in this book. Also I'm not sure it is worth spending time finding out why we have poor listening skills by looking at our childhood experiences. It's more important in my opinion just to learn listening skills and use them.

I have read a number of books which teach listening skills and my number one favourite is 'People Skills' by Robert Bolton. Bolton's book (written over 25 years ago but available as new at amazon) is about communication skills and only 110 pages are devoted to listening skills but it has a logical, easy to follow flow to it and it teaches listening skills in the quickest way. So for me the Bolton book is superior.

However, if you want to read a second book on listening skills then 'Listening: The Forgotten Skill' would be worth reading then.

Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-free Play
by Neil A. Fiore

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent book, 11 Oct. 2009
I have always had a major problem with procrastination which has caused endless problems in my years at uni as a student and then in my working life. I have never understood why I have had such a problem but this book explains it in simple terms and gives practical advice which really works.

It has reminded me of the advice which a tutor at uni gave me about exam revision.I thought his advice was silly. My method was to wake up in the morning thinking that I would do 16 hours of solid revision. By the end of the day I would have distracted myself many times and I would have achieved about 5 hours of revision. My tutor advised me to revise in the morning and take the afternoon off and then revise in the evening.It seemed like madness. When I tried putting his advice into practise it actually worked. I would revise efficiently in the morning then take the afternoon off and enjoy myself and then I would happily start revising in the evening and manage 3 or 4 hours of revision. So that was about 9 hours of productive revision. This advice got me through my exams.

The advice in this book is more geared towards students and the self-employed who have control over the way they work. You wouldn't be able to practise some of the techniques with a boss looking over your shoulder.In spite of this it would be a useful book for any procrastinator.

I would also recommend the book 'Getting Things Done'by David Allen which was helpful in getting me organised but the author of 'Getting things Done' admits that he has no technique for overcoming procrastination just a method to make it easier to plan what you need to do and to keep track of it. If you combine the advice from these two books then your life will become far more productive. I am living proof of this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2011 1:54 PM GMT

Get the Life You Want
Get the Life You Want
by Richard Bandler

3.0 out of 5 stars Awful CD, 17 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Get the Life You Want (Paperback)
I liked the book and the relative simplicity of the techniques but I was very disappointed with the CD because of the accent of the author. Most British people will find his accent grating because it is a strong Southern US accent. I agree it is not the fault of the author but it caused the CD for me to be unusable and I think British buyers of this book should be aware of this.

The information in the book is very useful but to be effective the exercises need to be repeated often and also you need to have a good ability to visualise clearly and vividly for many of the exercises otherwise the techniques will not work for you. I would imagine a huge percentage of people can't visualise as clearly as is required.

If you are aware that NLP is generally hugely hyped then buy this book, just don't expect instant miracles and don't expect all the exercises to work for you. I am sure that in spite of this you will find something that will help you in this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2011 9:50 PM BST

How to Give a Terrific Presentation (Worksmart)
How to Give a Terrific Presentation (Worksmart)
by Karen Kalish

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners, 14 Jan. 2007
I own about 20 books on presentation skills and public speaking. I was asked by a friend (who had been told by his boss to give a presentation) which book I could recommend as my friend had limited time to prepare. Some books on this subject are so detailed that if you need help quickly they are not helpful. This book however, helps you to get the essential information you need to quickly prepare a very good presentation. It is a great book for beginners but bear in mind it was written in 1996 and the word PowerPoint is not mentioned. (Some people might consider this to be a good thing. LOL)If only the author updated this book it would sell very well. In spite of this I would recommend it for the valuable, easily absorbed information which it gives.