Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Foo Fighters Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Sonic > Reviews

Content by Sonic

Sonic (Birmingham, England)

Extra Select Sunflower Hearts, 12.75 Kg
Extra Select Sunflower Hearts, 12.75 Kg
Offered by Maltbys Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Goldfinches can't get enough of it, 2 Oct. 2013
This seed is perfect for goldfinches, blue tits, great tits and greenfinches. I'm having to fill up the feeders at least twice daily so they must like it and a 12.75kg delivered is much easier than buying some practically every other day. Seems to be less waste too - hopefully this will keep the feral pigeons away

We Are the Others [Special Edition]
We Are the Others [Special Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars More Refined than April Rain, 5 Jun. 2012
I've been a fan of Delain since I saw them support Sonata Arctica at the tail end of 2009 and being unable to see them live last year I snapped up tickets as soon as they became available for their dates in May where I first heard snippets from this album. I second Dave B in that you should see them live if you can.

I was undecided whether or not I should get this album immediately on release but after hearing parts live I did and it's definitely worth it. Like Dave B it arrived two days before official release which gained further significance by virtue of the public holidays today and yesterday.

The album explores different depths whereas April Rain to me was designed to be more brutal and in-your-face. "I Want You" in particular is more like a rock ballad than the metal we've come to expect but Charlotte's vocals manage to make it powerful and inspiring in its own way. On the subject of inspiring the title track quite obviously refers to the death of Sophie Lancaster and once I grasped this I found it to be quite haunting really.

Wessell's vocals are more in line with power metal than gothic metal, fans of power metal won't go wrong in getting this album (get April Rain for something faster and manic) although that's not to say gothic metal fans won't like it. Existing Delain fans know what they're getting; a sort of hybrid combining the best parts of Lucidity and April Rain - definitely worth getting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2013 10:17 AM GMT

Atomic Fireblast x10 Boxes
Atomic Fireblast x10 Boxes

5.0 out of 5 stars Good candy and good price, 17 July 2011
This review is from: Atomic Fireblast x10 Boxes (Misc.)
I bought 10 of these boxes since I love Atomic Fireballs (as they used to be known) but have been unable to find them anywhere around Birmingham for the last couple of years. Including delivery the 10 packs worked out at 55.5p per packet which is expensive but not particularly so for ordering sweets online. Last time I could get them they were 35p per packets so allowing for inflation it would probably be 40-50p in the shops anyway. The packing is a paper bag in a jiffy bag so it's easy to recycle and they arrived within a couple of working days.
I've concentrated on the realities of ordering them online rather than the product itself because in my opinion it is fair to say that if you like cinnamon you will like Atomic Fireblast. You can put as many or as few in your mouth at a time as you like (obviously enough) depending on how hard you (think) you are. I personally manage around 4-6 at a time before reaching for the water. The flavour is strong and you can definitely taste the cinnamon.

For the tl;dr version I would certainly buy again from Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2015 4:55 PM BST

Battle 360° - The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Battle 360° - The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [Region Free]

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good despite being self-satisfied., 10 Jun. 2011
This video has the high quality you'd expect from blu-ray. I'm not one who instantly recognises when 4:3 has been down at 16:9 and I could not tell the difference until it was pointed out here. The plot, if it can so be called, is very obvious (as you'd expect!) but in my opinion it was made for an American audience who do not know the meaning of "understatement". HD Audio makes the bangs seem like they are happening in your living room

The smug and self-important tone of this series is the only reason this is a 4 star instead of a 5 star review, the deeds of the Enterprise and her crew speak for themselves. It is not as bad as Patton 360 (which implies Montgomery is the enemy instead of Hitler) yet it will make you feel sick and even sorry for the Japanese

Wonders of the Solar System [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Wonders of the Solar System [Blu-ray] [Region Free]

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those programs that makes getting a blu-ray a good deal, 4 Feb. 2011
I bought this blu-ray with my blu-ray player so that I would have something to watch when it arrived. I watched this series when it was broadcast, both in SD and HD due to the launch of freeview HD falling just before the last episode.

Whether you buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray you'll get an excellent series that made you glad Brian Cox left Dare to present physics programs. Essentially the blu-ray is just a better version of the DVD and I've not regretted buying a blu-ray player (albeit before the VAT rise) to show this blu-ray. The high definition is simply stunning. Pictures from space tend to be high resolution anyway so it loses nothing from frequently inserting images taken from space. Indeed, it makes the program better for it.

If I were to make a small criticism it's that the programme tends to travel a lot to make it's point but the presenter (Brian Cox) makes it a good move by managing to explain what happens clearly so that anyone could understand - in the first episode he uses the desert to explain how much power the sun gives to the Earth (it happens to be about 1kW which, given the distance of the sun from Earth is 1 AU and the fact that electromagnetic radiation follows the inverse square law is amazing)

It is well worth buying the blu ray version although if you're short of money you may find it wiser to get a few more blu rays such as Planet Earth

Duracell Plus MN1604 Alkaline 9 V Battery (discontinued by manufacturer)
Duracell Plus MN1604 Alkaline 9 V Battery (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by ElectromartUK

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a 9V batterynothing more, nothing less., 5 Dec. 2010
Ignore the previous review - they've blamed the battery when it is either their own fault or the device's fault.

This is a normal 9V battery which seem to be getting rarer to find. I bought this one because it was on Amazon Prime and it is for a smoke alarm so I wanted to ensure I have a good brand and there isn't a brand more reliable than Duracell.

Evidently I have not (and hope never to) had to rely on it as to do so would require a fire to break out. It does work when I pressed the TEST button so it works fine.

In summary if you need one 9V battery then you can't go wrong with this but ensure your device does need a 9V before purchasing

Puma Mens Originals Shorts
Puma Mens Originals Shorts

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but beware of sizes, 19 Oct. 2010
I bought these shorts in olive, size large. The size is "W 34" which I assumed to mean a 34" waist. Much as I might wish otherwise there is no way that I am a size 34 waist! Nonetheless they fit well, coming down to my knee which is roughly half a metre.

The colour is accurate and the shorts themselves are stylish and comfortable as well as being generous on pocket space. There are four pockets and I can fit my hand into each (outstretched) so perfect if you need to carry a lot of stuff on your person.

The price is reasonable and arrived on Tuesday (I ordered them on Sunday) via Amazon Prime.

All in all they do what they say on tin. If the sizes had been a bit clearer and well advertised then I would give it 5*

HOT/COLD Mug
HOT/COLD Mug

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could have a better transition, 26 Sept. 2010
This review is from: HOT/COLD Mug
The product is very good. If I could I would give it 4.5 stars. I bought one of these cups to use at work because my tea often goes cold while I am working. In this respect it works perfectly. My main problem is that I tend to drink my tea while it is hot compared to how others in the office drink it, thus it was still relatively white compared to how I'd imagine it would be.

Overall it is only really for the kind of person who is easily distracted and would make an idea cup for if you're always letting you're tea/coffee/hot chocolate go cold. If not go for a cheaper cup than this one.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User

2.0 out of 5 stars Spyware under a different name., 24 Oct. 2009
Read the EULA before installing, it's asking you to give Microsoft a lot of personal data in exchange for an operating system that decreases in speed with time, needs constant defragging. This is before having to protect your computer from malware thus tying up more precious resources. It can run on laptops for about a week before becoming slow because of the crapware you have to install. Validation is a bad joke, pirates find their way around it anyway and running as Administrator is a practice to be avoided like you'd avoid a crocodile infested pond.