Profile for Paul Jones > Reviews

The Underwater Photographer
The Underwater Photographer
by Martin Edge

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tips well explained, 25 April 2013
I can't compare this to other underwater photography books as this is the only one I've read! But I did find it a little out of date in places, given that it is the fourth edition. Further, the initial review that caught my attention, and hence my purchase, was that a Work Flow for pictures using Lightroom was included. I was a little disappointed with that chapter, but that may simply because I was expecting too much - for me there was essentially no new information on that topic. With bringing in additional experts to write on certain fields, also gives the book a slightly disjointed feel. But otherwise, key techniques are explained and illustrated well, and there was certainly much in there I found beneficial.

Reef Fish Identification Tropical Pacific
Reef Fish Identification Tropical Pacific
by Gerald Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, 25 April 2013
I like this book in preference to some fish ID books because of the methodical way its laid out. Given that the chapters are based of physical characteristics of similar groups of fish, I find it makes it easier to identify an unknown fish from a picture (I've taken...).

Nelson: The Sword of Albion
Nelson: The Sword of Albion
by Dr John Sugden

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent second half of the Nelson biography, 25 April 2013
A very detailed account of Nelson after he'd achieved a certain fame and notoriety. I read both volumes in order to reach the climax and the Battle of Trafalgar. I only wish there was more pages detailing that one battle... The book could do with a schematic of at least one Ship of the Line, given the frequent textual reference to areas of these ships. But all in all, a very well written, very interesting, and very rewarding book to read.