Profile for Peter Birchwood > Reviews

Content by Peter Birchwood

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups (Mammoth Books)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cover-ups, real and unreal., 4 Nov. 2013
Good book with a lot of information that I didn't recognise. Like the other books from this author a basic guide to learning what THEY are doing to us but also significantly sceptical. One of his stories involves a student falling down a hole at the Crystal Palace and finding a train carriage complete with dead Victorians. Whether the train exists I don't know but the named student certainly wasn't born within two years of when she was reported to be. Looks like fiction to me.

Nazi Secrets: An Occult Breach in the Fabric of History
Nazi Secrets: An Occult Breach in the Fabric of History

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 4 Oct. 2013
I thought this would be the standard "Nazi UFO's from Antartica" but it's not: it is sensible, gives good explanations about the very real German aviation experiments and is good to read. There are some reading glitches which may be due to an editor or translator as I suspect that English is not the author's first language but I would reccomend it especially to the people behind "Ancient Aliens" and similar shows.

Missing Marlene (Jane Stuart and Winky Mystery)
Missing Marlene (Jane Stuart and Winky Mystery)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Series, 4 Oct. 2013
Well-written and interesting background of a literary agents work. I can't see that Winky contributes much to the plot but in another book of the series I did find out why our cat goes crazy at times.

Air Disaster: The Propeller Era
Air Disaster: The Propeller Era

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative, 4 Oct. 2013
Several cases that I hadn't heard about including the dreadfull series of Stratocruiser disasters. My only faulting would be the overly technical nature of some parts.

Planes without Passengers: the Faked Hijackings of 9/11
Planes without Passengers: the Faked Hijackings of 9/11

1.0 out of 5 stars Gives Conspiracy theories a bad name., 4 Oct. 2013
There are a lot of real mysteries about 911: why were there so few passengers on the planes, still no CCTV footage of the Pentagon etc but this is a conglomoration of nonsense. The author and the "experts" that he names should be ashamed of their shoddy research. Don't buy this.

The Moulding Of A Life
The Moulding Of A Life

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book, 2 Oct. 2013
WOW! A great little book! There are no boring bits, you want to continue reading to see what happens next. It flows together very well and like a good chocolate you want to savour every bite. Right now I'm reading the last chapter and I'm sorry that it's coming to an end.
The descriptions are excellent, I had empathy towards the author and I loved the funny parts. It has everything really; from stirring emotions, humour, story-telling to scary moments and cpurage as well. I would reccomend this book, providing that you are not put off by some of the proof-reading.
By Maria Birchwood.

Where the Sky is Born: Living in the Land of the Maya
Where the Sky is Born: Living in the Land of the Maya

4.0 out of 5 stars Puerto Morales, 24 Jun. 2013
The first thing is of course that I really liked this book. I know most of the area and did on one occasion try to visit a bookshop in Puerto Morales said to have in stock a few thousand books but which unfortunately was closed on the day we arrived. I wonder if the author owned it? I also suspect that I have met the architect and developer mentioned in the book at a Swiss/Italian restaurant in Cancun. This area is fascinating and the people are so nice and I would advise everyone to read this book and then travel there.
Peter Birchwood

Evil Dark (An Occult Crimes Investigation Series Book 2)
Evil Dark (An Occult Crimes Investigation Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Police Procedural in an alternate reality, 19 April 2013
This is the first book that I have read by this author and I'm impressed. Before buying I read the reviews and thought that I'd enjoy it and it was worth every penny. I only regret is that I read book two before book one (which I have now got,) so I know more or less what is due to happen to the characters. It's interesting to have a cop-based supernatural thriller as a lot of the occult detectives in other works can be a bit irritating like Carnacki and John Silence. If my town was invaded by the Undead, I'd feel safe in the hands of the Scranton PD.

Peter Birchwood

The Perils of 1925 (The Chroniclers' Trilogy 1)
The Perils of 1925 (The Chroniclers' Trilogy 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice, 20 Nov. 2012
And it is nice; a good read with interesting characters and lovely footnotes explaining the bits and pieces of 1920's English life for those of us who were not around at the time and haven't studied the period. I thought the main villain was a bit weak and was disposed of more by accident than by the will of one of the heroes. Bulldog Drummond's adversary, Carl Peterson would have been more careful. I shall certainly get the next two volumes.

Shadow Blood (Ancient Legends Book 6)
Shadow Blood (Ancient Legends Book 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but lousy editing, 8 Nov. 2012
I really like this series and to be honest the editing gets better book by book but these problems do take a lot out of the reading experience like hitting an unexpected speed bump. Nice to find vampires who are not afraid to go out in the sun. I'm still puzzled by the jumps between English spelling and usage and American spelling.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3