Profile for Roger Sharp > Reviews

Content by Roger Sharp

Roger Sharp (Kenley, Surrey, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sussed Vices and Virtues (Who Knows You: A Family Friendly Card Game for Daring Conversations)
Offered by Games to Get Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars This simple to understand game is very funny to play, 16 Sept. 2014
This simple to understand game is very funny to play. No, funny doesn't begin to describe it. Hilarious. I laughed so much at one point it hurt.

Although it comes with rules and a scoring pad, we normally play it to 'commando' rules. That is no rules at all, or make up as we go along. It is brilliant ice breaker and appropriate for all age groups.

The official way of playing is very simple but we enjoy the spontaneity of just handling out the cards at random. I'm not even certain what the point is in having a winner - the winner is generally speaking the player that's endured over the others.

OXA® 10000mAh 2A/1A Dual USB Outputs Portable External Battery For iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus or Samsung Galaxy S6, With Digital Screen And LED Flashlight, for Andriod phones, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iphone 3GS, iPad, HTC, Samsung, Tablets, Digital Camera, MP3 Players, and other USB Devices (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, now improved with a digital screen................, 1 Jun. 2014
I can't really fault tihis device. Not only does it boast a high capacity but also now an LED panel that either records how fast it is charging, but also it's rate of discharge through either output.

It's well made and comes with a choice of chargers leads - I doubt there is anything it's won't charge. I used it to recharge my Samsung phone and Asus tablet at the same time.I've got a previous unit which I keep in the car, just in case my phone runs down and I wouldn't be without it.

OXA products also have a quality feel to them and come well packaged., at a very reasonable price, although the instruction manuals are pretty basic. If it has not been done already I'll post a clip of it in use.

OXA®  NFC Bluetooth Natural Wood Design Wireless Stereo Speaker For iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, iPads, Bluetooth Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia, Blackberry and all other Smart Phones, Tablets and Computers (Apple Green)
OXA® NFC Bluetooth Natural Wood Design Wireless Stereo Speaker For iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, iPads, Bluetooth Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia, Blackberry and all other Smart Phones, Tablets and Computers (Apple Green)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 1 Jun. 2014
It is hard to fault this blue tooth speaker other than that the battery life could be better.

The sound quality is good, both bluetooth and card sources sounding excellent - and I am really fussy about speakers of any kind. Build quality is solid and thought has been given to the interface on the front that lights up when the unit is in action that is touch sensitive. I found tuning the radio a little difficult but found what I wanted after a few minutes tinkering.

Using the line in cable supplied I was able to connect up an mp3 player easily. The manual supplied is not great but this is not a problem as it is pretty intutitve to use. It also takes an easily replacable cheap battery,so carrying a spare would be simple or even using one of OXAs powerpacks ideal.

At the price I cannot think of anything that beats it.

Galt Toys Dr Miriam Baby Mobile
Galt Toys Dr Miriam Baby Mobile
Offered by ToyWarehouseUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Very traditional.............., 30 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike some others, I had no trouble in building and fixing this mobile. It's a very traditional product (and none the worse for that) that does captures a youngsters attention. It comes with a curious "play guide" that has Dr Miriam Stoppard's name on it. The box claims she is "The UK's most trusted parenting expert" which was news to me.

However, it's a relatively inexpensive toy that should last a while.

McAfee Internet Security Dual Protection for MAC and Windows 2014 - 1 User (PC/Mac)

2.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome, not effective., 29 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It took over an hour to install this for one reason or another - it's a slow, clunky procedure. All the box contains is a card with a code number, so I don't really see the point of it. I installed it on a Windows 98 system and everything appeared to work. However, I have little confidence in it as a product. It claims high rates of detection but these aren't backup with any evidence to support them.

Denis Technology Labs rate it poorly in recent " real-world" testing. It's an expensive product and I just don't think it's money that can be justified when "free" solutions from other vendors have higher detection rates. The Denis Labs testing is accepted as authoritative and is publicly available. [...]

I will be removing it and will be removing it asap and replacing it with What Denis Labs say are the better products "The most accurate programs were Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, Norton Internet Security and ESET Smart Security 7, all of which won our AAA award in this test."

One thing that did shock me were the Microsoft Security Essentials figures for Windows 7 - so low that they are used as a base line. I've used MSE on Windows 98 in the past very successfully but the transition to Windows 7 hasn't been effective - a fact which is born out by several viruses that have got through, to be detected by other software. I've subsequently switched to Comodo Antivirus.

Finally, if you do install McAfee, it defaults to a continuous payment system which you might like to cancel.

Galt Toys Robo Rover
Galt Toys Robo Rover

4.0 out of 5 stars Undersold by the packaging................., 29 May 2014
This review is from: Galt Toys Robo Rover (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My tame eight year old enjoyed putting this together, but had to be encouraged to open the box because he thought it was too young for him from the outside.

Inside, he got more enthusiastic when he saw the circuit board, motor and wheels etc. and had it whizzing around in no time. I'd say it was suitable for 7-10 year olds. It has a unique system for attaching bare wires that I thought might be a problem but worked well in practice. I can't see it last that long but it truly has an educational element to it.

It doesn't contain batteries so you'll need a couple of AA alkaline to pop in.

Inateck USB 3.0 4-Port Hub with Bus-Powered for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs with USB Ports Backward Compatible with USB 2.0 & Support Windows 8/ 7/ Vista/ XP, Mac OS X 10.8.4 or Above, Compact Hub with a Built-in 0.5ft USB 3.0 Cable, White

5.0 out of 5 stars It works like a dream......, 19 May 2014
I;ve given my Inateck USB 3.0 4-Port Hub a real thrashing and it hasn't let me down. Even when I've needed to plug in 3 USB 3.0 devices it has worked like a dream. It would be possible to buy something like this for less, but then I've got a box full of "cheap" stuff that never worked. It's worth pointing out that this product isn't really suitable for desktops or towers unless you buy an extension cable. It's lead is relatively short in order to tuck it in to the back slot.

Inateck Mini 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with 1ft USB 3.0 Cable for Laptops, Ultrabooks, Macbook and Tablet PCs, Bus-Powered

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it..............., 19 May 2014
I've been using this for a while and can't fault it. It's well built and hasn't ever caused a problem, despite having 3 USB 3.0 devices running through it. It's cable is long enough to make it suitable for desktops as well as other devices. I think Inateck also have a similar model but with twin inputs - micro and mini USB - which would be even more useful.

I have a box full of inferior but cheap things I've bought in the past and quite honestly they are junk, failing to live up to expectations. If you buy one of these you get a quality product that will last for years and a solid technical support base should you need it.

Croydex Foster 'Sit Tight' Double Fixed, No More Movement Toilet Seat with Anti-Bacterial Treated Surface and Soft Close Hinges

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to fit, but worth it................, 18 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although fitting this toilet seat takes a bit longer, I'm sure it's worth the time. The fixing mechanism can be altered to fit holes between 100mm - 200mm apart, which is quite a lot more than most can. At the start I should mention that it's best suited to a toilet that has a level and flat platform, rather than than the concave design design, which is more suited to something like Croydex Premium Anti-Bacterial Toilet Seat with Slow Close Hinges, White.

It's been well made and comes with well written, comprehensive instructions and, for some models a YouTube video on how to do the job. My son has a movement disorder and consequently we go through about 4 seats a year at least. I've tried all makes and models but the result has always been the same - broken. If the Croydex unique fixing system works then this will be it's greatest test. (Incidentally, one of the longest lasting was the Cavalier Thermoplastic White Toilet Seat, also available from Amazon, product code B001UC31XU. It's cheap and cheerful but does the job.)

This isn't a product that you can fit in a hurry. You need to set aside time and do it properly. In particular it's a essential to go through a dummy run and make sure that it's positioned properly before you get the tubes of glue out. I should mention that, to my shame, I had to phone the Croydex customer service team a couple of times before I got it right and they were immensely helpful - what I didn't want to do was glue it on in the wrong position.

NETGEAR R6100-100UKS R6100 AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router
NETGEAR R6100-100UKS R6100 AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely impressive bit of kit............, 17 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an extremely impressive new product from Netgear. Installation is very easy and although it comes with a minimum level of documentation there is and excellent 122 page book of instructions to either browse or download.

Apart from it's basic function of being a wireless router with 4 ports, it is equipped perfectly to enable HD streaming throughout the house. It's USB port can be used to attach a hard drive and then accessed from any part of your home network.

It can operate at a speed of up to 867 Mbps which is three times faster than the 802.11 standard, but I suspect most people's speed will ultimately be governed by their service provider or other constraints on their network. It's wireless signal strength is a considerable improvement on previous models and will easily cover the whole house. Being DNLA compliant it is ideal for steaming to TVs, etc. I'm currently installing it into my network and I have found the Netgear Genie App very handy. (it's free)

I've found integrating into an existing network quite challenging. I know that the router will do what I want, it's finding out how that's not been easy. I hadn't really thought about the size of my home network. So far I think I've uncovered around 20 IP addresses so it's much larger than I thought, taking into account phones, tablets, A/V receiver, Synology disk server TVs etc. It hasn't been easy but if you take it one step at a time it's achievable. Something to be wary of are the conflicting demands of the router and Windows 7.

Anyway, the end result is that I can now stream Blu Ray films, in 3D and with 7.1 sound, quite comfortably, from my PC to my Sony smart TV. Even if nobody else in my family appreciates it, I do!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20