Profile for happysalvo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Razor Sharp Rhythm
Razor Sharp Rhythm

4.0 out of 5 stars Distant memories revived, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Razor Sharp Rhythm (Audio CD)
This double disc is a veritable bargain as it presents two albums by two of the best jazz drummers of all time for around a fiver. I had not heard the "Krupa and Rich" album previously so was pleasantly surprised to hear such excellent reproduction of a recording that's now over 50 years old.

With regard to "Burnin' Beat", I have been interested in drums and the playing thereof since childhood. My dad used to work with a chap called John who played drums in a jazz band, and when he found out I was interested he invited me down to listen to his group practice - quite something for a lad of 5 or 6 years of age.

Some time later we emigrated to South Africa and when we were leaving, John gave me his copy of "Burnin' Beat" as a leaving present : it's long since been worn out, so it's great to be able to hear it again after all these years. Personal favourites are "Duet" and "Evolution". Happy memories have been revived again!

An Evening With John Denver (2CD)
An Evening With John Denver (2CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Trip down Memory Lane, 25 Nov. 2011
I bought the original double vinyl of this set back in 1975 (one of the first live double albums I owned) and it made an immediate impression on me. The quality of the recording is complemented by the artistry of John and his band of musicians, and the whole package is a treat from first track to last. Personal favourites are "Cold Nights in Canada", "The Eagle and the Hawk", "Boy from the Country", "Pickin' the sun down" and of course "Rocky Mountain High".

It's also good to have the six extra songs on disc two. These were recorded during a concert at Red Rocks in August 1973. What a difference in sound quality between these songs and the concert recorded at the same venue by the Moody Blues some 19 years later!

It's great to hear this music again after more than 30 years, and it still sounds as good as ever.

Thanks for the music and the memories, John. God bless.

A Night At Red Rocks With The Colorado Symphone Orchestra - Deluxe Edition
A Night At Red Rocks With The Colorado Symphone Orchestra - Deluxe Edition
Offered by Champion Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Searching for the Lost Chord..., 23 Nov. 2011
I finally got round to acquiring the DeLuxe edition of Night at Red Rocks to replace the pretty ropey single disc version that's been sitting on my shelves since '93. The record company are to be congratulated on finally giving us the full concert, but I do feel that more of an effort could have been made to improve the overall sound.

Whereas it's nice to hear the classics like "Nights in White Satin", "Question" and a brilliant nine-minute version of "Legend of a Mind" (well done that man Ray Thomas!) I have to say that some of the later material just doesn't ring my bell in any way.

The female backing vocalists and somewhat over-enthusiastic audience should have been provided with a mute button as well.

If you were there this would be an ideal souvenir of the event but I think I'll stay with my copies of the first seven studio albums which have long been favourites of mine. I must say though that the double-disc was excellent value for money.

Barq's Root Beer 355 ml (Pack of 12)
Barq's Root Beer 355 ml (Pack of 12)
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

5.0 out of 5 stars Barq's Root Beer, 21 Nov. 2011
As I indicated in my review of Mug, I've also tried Barq's root beer and cannot praisae it too highly. Both drinks are a delight and I agree with the reviewer who said that root beer beats Coke - it's absolutely fantastic. The only downside is that Barq's contains caffeine, but that is only a very tiny drawback in what is a wonderful drink. I shall have to remember to keep the fridge stocked up!

Wild Cherry Pepsi 355 ml (Pack of 12)
Wild Cherry Pepsi 355 ml (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Cherry Pepsi, 21 Nov. 2011
I have become quite disappointed in the Cherry Coke that's available on general sale in the UK, so was quite relieved to see that Pepsi do something similar. The taste is infinitely superior to Cherry Coke and has become my favourite cherry-flavoured soft drink. It's just a pity that the local shops/supermarkets don't stock it, so well done again Amazon.

Mug Root Beer 355 ml (Pack of 12)
Mug Root Beer 355 ml (Pack of 12)
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

5.0 out of 5 stars Mug Root Beer, 21 Nov. 2011
I'd heard about root beer for donkey's years but had never been able to find any. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that Amazon stock a variety of brands, and after reading a review on another website decided to try Mug. At first I wasn't too sure what to make of it but after the second glass it began to grow on me, and now I love it. The taste could be described as a cross between Coke and Dr Pepper with a slight herbal or medicinal influence. If you've never had root beer before and would like to give it a try, Mug is definitely the brand to go for.

I've also tried Barq's which I rate equally highly. Thanks Amazon - you've well and truly converted me to root beer!

Ravi Shankar And Ali Akbar Khan In Concert
Ravi Shankar And Ali Akbar Khan In Concert

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been a long time coming, but worth the wait, 11 Nov. 2011
I have been hunting for this recording for the past 15 years and had just about given up hope of ever finding a copy. Browsing the net a few weeks ago I came across the item on Amazon. Took a deep breath when I saw the price, but decided to treat myself as I've had a rough time recently.

The concert was everything I had expected it to be from reviews, and is very well recorded. It's difficult for me to single out a favourite item as (in my opinion) they are all as good as each other. All performers concerned thoroughly enjoy themselves, as do the very enthusiastic audience. If you are a fan of Indian classical music and can afford the asking price - go for it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7