Profile for Del Finch > Reviews

Content by Del Finch

Del Finch "Del Finch" (Rudloe, Wilts, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Streets In The Sky
Streets In The Sky

4.0 out of 5 stars My, don't they grow up fast!, 1 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Streets In The Sky (Audio CD)
Now then, I get the 'obvious' comparison to The Jam with these blokes, however I'm more inclined to put them in a similar stable to The Young Knives, The Rakes, 9 Black Alps and latter-day Buzzcocks in the hope that The Enemy can maintain an element of current day credibility. If this is the difficult third album it doesn't show. What Streets in the Sky delivers is catchy, anthemic punk-pop. No weak tracks here, the band has the previous venture firmly behind them and have gotten back to the business in hand - catchy bounce along choruses, bang on harmonies, chunksome geetars and an exuberance which exudes confidence, but most of all it all sounds like these geezers are having so much fun!! Don't get me wrong, it'll never be a classic in the Grand Scheme of Things, but you could do a lot, lot worse. Suggest you give it a whirl - you won't lose any 'street cred' and it just may put a smile on yer clock and a spring in yer step. Go on.......you know you want to!

Rebirth
Rebirth
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
Magnificent. Every track is magical. It's the reggae album of The Summer That Never Was, but it'll bring the sunshine in to your life. An uplifting treasure.

Worshipping The Dollar
Worshipping The Dollar

5.0 out of 5 stars Worshipping the DPs, 3 July 2012
This review is from: Worshipping The Dollar (Audio CD)
Well, well, well, and I thought Rum n Coke was a pinnacle! This is an awesome selection of choon. Kicking straight in with the Groove Armada (no bad thing) vibe of 'Alive' which pretty much sets the atmos, there's the familiar hip hop, ska, d&b, rock steady feel. And every natty choon works. Well! No giving up with social statement, nor any lack of wry humour, I reckon this is DP's best work to date and I'm lovin' it large.

BTW, saw them at the Lakota, Bristol a few weeks back. Band were blindin', sound engineer wanted shooting! A terrible sound bestowed on such a great live band. Barry my man, your band's the badger's nadgers. Long may your pistols rub a dub. Cheers.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!, 31 Aug. 2011
A real bargain. Stylish and robust. Can't complain about either the price or the quality. When I get my next ipod classic...........I'll be back!!

Black Light
Black Light
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars 80's Revisited.......no bad thing, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Black Light (Audio CD)
From the reviews I've read this latest GA effort is like Marmite. Give it a few more listens you guys. It grows and grows on yas. There's a fair bit of ahem plagiarism going on which is completely overt, but it's great to hear something so retro, yet with a new approach. Hey, if you don't like it that's fine. But I bet in six months time you'll be recommending it to your mates..........along with Marmite OX!

Keep Yer And On It
Keep Yer And On It

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Yer Ands On It, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Keep Yer And On It (Audio CD)
First and foremost, depending on your audio tastes, it might be wise to de-tweak the top end on your stereo prior to listening to this well overdue re-release as it's toppy to say the least. Having said that, it still has all the ingredients of a band with a certain sense of purpose, the problem being... i'm not to certain what that purpose was! Notwithstanding, the vocals, musicianship and arrangements are superb. Probably an album for old musos (like me) who like melody, rock and half decent lyrics from more than competent musicians, it may not be a masterpiece.....but sometimes it sounds like it should have been. Give it a whirl...the bonus tracks hint to more (and get the Machine That Cried an' all!).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2012 4:01 PM BST

Conditions
Conditions

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget Headingly, 11 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Conditions (Audio CD)
I hear Curtis Mayfield, Labi Siffre, Roland Gift, Yargo, Fleet Foxes, Bloc Party.....but oi, what a beautifully haunting mix it is. Retro as you like, but as gorgeous a trip you'd be likely to take this summer. DJ Shadow's involvement must tell yas summat. Best go get this chaps, before they disappear under the radar!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2009 5:30 PM BST

Live 'n' Loud
Live 'n' Loud

4.0 out of 5 stars WHAT IN THE WORLD?, 19 April 2009
This review is from: Live 'n' Loud (Audio CD)
Wow! I didn't realise that Larry was still struttin' his stuff. This is typical LM. I got into him back in the 80's when the band I was in (Hard Times) supported him at The Granery in Bristol. I bought a vinyl copy of his album 'Right Chaps!' after the gig and I still have it. Released in 1983 on Matinee Music. Collecter's item? Well, it ain't for sale! Rock on Larry.

Glasvegas
Glasvegas
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars MUCH ADO ABOUT NUFFIN, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Glasvegas (Audio CD)
There would appear to be mixed feelings about this album based on the reviews that I've read (athough how I found myself navigated to 'Glasvegas' remains a mystery!). But since I'm here I'll let on this - bought the album just around when it slid down the old hype-tube, listened to it with great expectation....and was disappointed. Too fascile, overbearing and devoid of character for me. Sorry for those who differ, but try Malcolm Middleton/Arab Strap if, like me you love lush Scottish accents, but who write and sing evocative lyrics with that certain Celtic passion.

Back To Thunder
Back To Thunder

2.0 out of 5 stars SHAME REALLY, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Back To Thunder (Audio CD)
Have to agree that this album is nowhere near as coherent as 'Rush'. My guess is that cos this was a 24/7 gigging band the first album consisted of all of their well refined and well known stuff. Take that into a studio and - zappo, no problem. I think that this was an attempt to write a studio album proper. The result? Not as I'd hoped, especially since the 'School' EP was such a blindin' excursion. I had 'Back to Thunder' on green vinyl 'til someone swiped it. If you're reading this and you've still got it....gis it back! I won't be renewing this particular album, but I thoroughly recommend 'Rush'.

Page: 1 | 2