Profile for Micky Mudd > Reviews

Content by Micky Mudd

Micky Mudd (Cheshire, UK)

The Children Act
The Children Act
by Ian McEwan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 23 May 2016
This review is from: The Children Act (Paperback)
To start off on a negative note I have always felt that Ian McEwan (like Julian Barnes) wants to show off his superior intelligence with clever lines or detailed background. So every McEwan novel I pick up I start from this low point but am usually soon taken up with the story lines.
I was soon taken up with the minutiae of Fiona, a high court judge, and found the background on cases she had in the Family court gave a good idea of the things she had to juggle while contending with a wayward husband. I found her husband to be a little 2 dimensional but he wasn't part of the main story. Rather like other of his novels there is a pivotal moment involving a 17 year old boy. She has to make a decision about whether he, as a Jehovahs Witness, should have a blood transfusion. I was swept up in her over-involvement with the boy and the aftermath which was believable.
All in all a good story that can be read in a day, if you were on the beach, or 4 or 5 days of normal reading. I read Enduring Love while I was in Naxos last year and that was equally gripping once I got over my McEwan prejudice.

Pokey LaFarge
Pokey LaFarge

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Pokey LaFarge (MP3 Download)
I bought "what the rain will bring" as an MP3 track and liked it so much I downloaded this album. I still think "what the rain" is the best track but I'm warming to the rest of the album - there isn't a bad track. At the moment I like the slower tracks but even those fast tracks are good.

The Handy London Map and Guide
The Handy London Map and Guide
by Bensons MapGuides

4.0 out of 5 stars Good map, 27 April 2013
Quite light on any detail but works well as a map you can pull out of your pocket any time

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars A lttle thin, 27 May 2011
There was a loose thread which my wife has sewed up so not brilliant quality of finish. My main grouse is with the thin nature of the top - I can imagine I'll only wear it in a few weeks of high summer.

Tenn Thermal Cycling Arm Warmers - Black 2XL/3XL
Tenn Thermal Cycling Arm Warmers - Black 2XL/3XL
Offered by Tenn Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Tenn Thermal Cycling Arm Warmers
Just been out with these on (end of May 2011) and they work very well in these coolish conditions to protect the arms when wearing short sleeved cycling tops. These recent cool mornings often warm up to warm afternoons when I can abandon these arm warmers.
Would be 5 stars if they were a little cheaper but they work fine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 6:00 PM GMT

Cateye Strada Rd300 Cycling Computer - Black
Cateye Strada Rd300 Cycling Computer - Black
Offered by GsportsUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable computer, 6 Jun. 2010
I have used this for some weeks now and found it to be very reliable. Some other reviewers found the bracket to be poor but I click it on and off every ride and it is as sturdy now as it was when I fitted it. The extensive features can make you a bit obsessive about beating the last average speed or max speed but that is part of the deal, isn't it ? It's not as if it's anti-social like speeding cars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2010 9:42 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy case !, 28 April 2010
Made from a soft-feel leather which just fits my Lumix camera. The length-wise opening is better for Lumix cameras as the on/off switch is on the top and pushing into my old (width-wise) case sometimes swithed the camera on. Overall very god value.

Up the Garden Path
Up the Garden Path
by Sue Limb

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly second hand, 28 April 2010
This review is from: Up the Garden Path (Paperback)
Have had books that have been "pre-owned" before which look like new ones. This one had certainly been round the houses but it is for holiday reading so I won't feel so bad leaving it in Skiathos.

Zoostorm Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8ghz Windows 7 Home Premium PC, 500GB HDD, 2GB Ram, DVDRW, 7871-0032

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot On !, 27 Mar. 2010
I spent half a day getting stuff of the old PC before installing this Zoostorm, so was getting jaded by the whole PC installation. I connected the broadband, printer, speakers etc before switching it on and was amazed that it didn't ask for connection codes for the broadband or installation CD for the printer. Obviously it is so much faster than my old PC but it is the fact that nothing fazes it. For instance my old Minolta camera was recognised within a minute of plugging it into the PC - no hunting about for installation CD.