Profile for E. Shaw > Reviews

Content by E. Shaw

E. Shaw "junglegirl" (UK)

Remington S7902 Wet2Straight Hair Straightener
Remington S7902 Wet2Straight Hair Straightener

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed - recommend these!, 2 Nov. 2010
I was initially a bit dubious about the idea of straightening my hair from wet, but I have to say that these have so far proved to be the best straighteners I've had! In both wet and dry mode they have not only left my hair much straighter than my old ones ever did, but it's also STAYED straight - a minor miracle in itself. In the same time it normally takes me just to to blow dry my hair, I've now straightened AND dried it, and I've then not needed to re-straighten my hair every morning - I'll have to wait and see what effect it has on my hair in the long-term, but so far it's meant no blow drying and far less straightening needed, which has to be a good thing. I was a bit worried that the heat would leave my hair dry, but so far it's actually felt much softer than normal, and as the instructions say you're not roughening your hair by blow-drying it.

The 'dry' mode also works really well so these can be used like normal straighteners if you prefer, and the display handily lights up a different colour depending what mode you're in. The temperature is easy to adjust and I found it really helpful that the straighteners beep when the right temperature is reached (which didn't take long at all). They are a bit longer than my old straighteners but I found this easy to adjust to, although I have to keep remembering to make sure the steam isn't directed towards me! They also glide very smoothly over my hair. The heatproof pouch is only really useful for storing the straighteners so I would recommend a separate heatproof mat if you want something to put them down on. However other than that I can't really fault them so far, and I keep having to touch my hair as I can't believe how straight and soft it is! Not a bad price too - all in all I would definitely recommend these.

British Wild Flowers: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide)
by Paul Sterry

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed and easy to follow, 15 July 2008
I bought this book having already owned the Collins Complete British Wildlife Photoguide and finding I needed something more comprehensive. I was not disappointed - the book is well laid out with clear photos and plants grouped together by family. There is also a glossary and brief but clear guides to leaves, fruits and seeds and an flower identification guide. Using photographs rather than drawings also helps with identification.

A very clear and easy-to-use guide that should be perfect for anyone like me who is not an expert in botany but wants a detailed guide that makes identification simple and easy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2016 3:41 PM BST

Collins Complete British Insects
Collins Complete British Insects
by Michael Chinery

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and well laid out though doesn't have everything, 15 July 2008
I bought this book having already owned the Collins Complete British Wildlife Photoguide and needing something a bit more comprehensive. The book is clear and well laid out, with clear photographs and useful information introducing each insect family.

My only disappointment was that the description of the book suggested it had pictures of larvae. Other than a pretty comprehensive section on caterpillars I couldn't find many other photographs of larvae of other groups; seeing as I was particularly keen to use the book to identify aquatic larvae in my pond I was quite disappointed by this - even small sketches would be better than nothing!

Other than that though the book should be invaluable for anyone like me who is after a guide that covers a bit more than just the most common insect species.