Profile for emily of new moon > Reviews

Content by emily of new moon

emily of new moon (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Winter at the Dog & Duck (Dog and Duck)
Winter at the Dog & Duck (Dog and Duck)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read for a bit of Christmas escapism, 30 Mar. 2017
A lovely light hearted read, that fills a nice Christmassy read. The heroine is likeable, and the plot is fun. Would recommend to anyone who wants a book that is relaxing and full of the countryside (if you are feeling rather couped up in the city).

The Second Chance Tea Shop: The perfect romantic summer read (Little Somerby)
The Second Chance Tea Shop: The perfect romantic summer read (Little Somerby)

3.0 out of 5 stars A cosy read, that lets itself slowly develope, rather then rushing in to anything., 16 Mar. 2017
This is a nice read, that allows time to let its characters and relationships develop. I enjoyed reading it, and really liked the heroine, Anna, and what we saw of her as she deals with the loss of her husband and the opportunity for new love. This is in fact a book about second chances, not just for Anna, but also one about forgiving broken relationships, and giving them a second chance.
There is nothing ground breaking here. But sometimes that is exactly what you want, and that is the case, this book would be a great place to turn. This is the first book of several that the author plans to set in the same town, and I'm pretty sure I shall read the next books when she writes them.

Healthy Baking: Nourishing breads, wholesome cakes, ancient grains and bubbling ferments
by Jordan Bourke

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't know how healthy everything is in here, but it is definitely tasty, 10 Mar. 2017
This is a lovely cook book full of gorgeous pictures, lovely readable chat, and great ideas for recipes.
What I particularly love about this book is that though the author like using what are a lot of fashionable ingredients (coconut palm sugar etc), he is by no means wedded to them and telling you this is the only way, instead acknowledging that it is about preference. He also doesn't fall into the trap that a lot of sourdough bakers fall into which is getting far too snotty about their bread. Instead this is an encouraging read that will push you to try out different bread recipes, as well as some other things that some how fall into the catagory of "baking", a lose term in the second half of this book.
I have already tried a few out, and have found them really successful and tasty. This is a great book.

Me, You and Tiramisu
Me, You and Tiramisu
by Charlotte Butterfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read about nice food and YouTube celeb culture, 10 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Me, You and Tiramisu (Paperback)
This is a lovely light read, centred around something that is ever popular in the chick lit genre, and why not, food.
Book lover, and English teacher Jayne reunites with one of her only childhood friends, and first (only ) love, Will, by chance in the very unromantic setting of a dentists waiting room, and joyfully things go well for them as they restart their relationship, and fall in love.
But Jayne is your typical plain, tall, slightly plump female protagonist, while Will, is a tall frightfully good looking chef, so she always feels slightly undeserving. But the need to keep justifying her relationship only increases when Will becomes a YouTube cooking viral star, and this leads to complications.

This book was a fun read while I was on my half term hols, and I would definitely recommend it to people who enjoy books by Jenny Colagen, and Katie Fforde. There were some stretches of believability however, that means I wouldn't put at the same level as some of those books they have written, including the level of tabloid attention that Will receives and the way Jayne reacts, considering everything we had been told about her character up until this point. But these don't get in the way of enjoying this read.
Fab.

The Really Quite Good British Cookbook
The Really Quite Good British Cookbook
by William Sitwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately worth adding to anyone's collection of cook books, 10 Mar. 2017
This is a great cook book, and well worth adding to anyone's shelf.
As far as I am concerned good cook books fall into two catagories, ones that are lovely to read through, pour over and "be inspired" by and those that are the kind you get down off your shelf when you want to make supper, and cook from. This book falls into the later catagory. It is chock full of good recipes of various cuisines, from heaps of excellent food writers and chefs. There is definately lots for everyone here.
It's usefulness doesn't impact its attractiveness or readability however. I love recipe books where there is lots read, chat, as well as just how to do things, and this book provides that, as well as hundreds of beautiful pictures of food to admire and appreciate.
Well worth buying, I'm sure it is going to become a kitchen staple.

Rosie's Little Café on the Riviera
Rosie's Little Café on the Riviera
by Jennifer Bohnet

3.0 out of 5 stars A book that definitely adds to the "little shop some where idyllic opened by a women striking out on her own" genre, 10 Mar. 2017
This was a nice read, that I imagine would be particularly good on a sunny holiday, as you sit by the pool (rather than a winter holiday in the alps : ). )
Rosie finally manages to leave behind her job cooking on expensive yachts, having saved up enough to open her own little restaurant. The only problem is that a Michelin starred chef has opened a hotel next door. While she navigates this new world of living on land, owning her own business, and dealing with an attractive hotel owner, she also has to deal with a reunion she never expected, or wanted.
This book is a mixture of a couple of different lives and story threads of a number of expats living on the French Riviera near Antibes. They are all charmingly woven together, although as it isn't a very long book I did feel we could have benefitted from a little more of story development from each of them.
As some one who is very familiar with the expat scene down on the Cote d 'Zure I very much enjoyed reading about it.
I would recommend this book to people who enjoy the occasional fun, light read.

The Little Teashop of Lost and Found
The Little Teashop of Lost and Found
by Trisha Ashley

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun light hearted read, that hits the spot when you crave the book equivalent of milk chocolate, 10 Mar. 2017
This was a thoroughly enjoyable read, that I managed to get through in one day (while I was on holiday over half term). I love cake and baking, so anything that has a food premise is generally going in a good direction as far as I am concerned. But then there seem to be so many of the "women sets out to start a tea shop and so turn her life around" books, so why should you go for this one?
To start with it is well written, and most of the characters are well formed, and relationships progress at a resonable realistic pace. But at the heart of it the book isn't really about setting up the tea shop, and the odds that Alice the heroine has to overcome, and some amasingly large ones tea shop wise are set up right at the beginning. Instead it is a story that is about her trying to find somewhere that she belongs, which she hasn't had since her adoptive father died in her late teens.
There aren't any huge surprises in this book, I managed to guess all the plot reveals pretty early on due to the small clues (or seemingly through away facts) we are given. But this book isn't a thriller and you don't read it for the plot turns and surprises. Instead you read it as a warm welcoming type of escapism, that leaves you wanting to reread it again, as soon as you have finished.
I would definitely recommend this book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2017 11:45 PM GMT

The Bear and The Nightingale
The Bear and The Nightingale
by Katherine Arden

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, romantic tale, perfect to snuggle up with on a cold winters night., 30 Jan. 2017
I loved this book. When I read the description I knew it was going to be my cup of tea, but it really did deliver.
It is a brilliant fantasy book, of what would describe as the fairy tale fantasy genre. With a lovely story, beautiful, richly and romantically painted. I loved the Russian back drop, particularly as this is a fairy tale scene that I am less familiar with.
All the classic elements are there for a fairytale, the youngest daughter with unusual gifts, a dead mother, new step mother and an absent father. As the heroine battles to save herself and the rest of the village from an ancient evil in the woods, as she faces opposition from lots of sides, during the bleak, coldness of the winter, which turns out to be both a danger and a comfort.

I would definately recommend reading this, particularly for fans of Juliette Marillier.
I received this book from Netgalley to honestly review.

365 Encouraging Verses of the Bible for Women: A Hope-Filled Reading for Every Day of the Year
by Barbour Publishing

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good tool to help us spend more time in God's Word, 20 Sept. 2016
This is a lovely daily encouragement.
We should all spend more time reading our bible, both so that it can encourage us, feed us and also challenge us, but so often I completely fail at regularly doing this every day.
This book is a great years worth of short daily bible readings to help us either start doing this or get back into good habits of quite times.
I haven't finished all of it yet as it is a years worth, but I have enjoyed it over the last couple of months.

The House in Quill Court
The House in Quill Court
by Charlotte Betts

3.0 out of 5 stars A lovely summer read, set in a well imagined regency world, 20 Sept. 2016
This is a very enjoyable easy read.
The house at Quill Court is a regency set book, though perhaps more unusually focuses on what would have been the merchant class (some what like the Bennet's uncle and aunt), rat here then the gentry.
After the potentially improbable start (and I say that because of what we learn of their fathers character in the book, rather then because it is something that never happens), which was used to bring the main character's together, the book becomes a story about defiance of organised crime and of course romance.
There are two story threads following the daughter of the family and her maid (who I have to confess I found an entirely unsympathetic character), which allows you to see the story from different angles.

I enjoyed this book, partly because I am generally a fan of that era, because I liked most of the characters, and it was engagingly written. Also unusually for most modern regency romances this wasn't a torrid bodice ripper, which is a much better return to what the genre should be. I loved the fact as well that the author didn't spend the whole time using americanisms and geographical inaccuracies, which so often grate, but instead clearly knew the places both in Kent and London that she was describing.

I would definitely recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2