Profile for Hugh Everett > Reviews

LARGE 18 HOOK CARGO NET 180CM X 130CM
LARGE 18 HOOK CARGO NET 180CM X 130CM
Offered by NP Autoparts Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says - nb cord is stretchy, 24 Jan. 2012
This little product does exactly what I expected it to do. NB I hadn't appreciated - guess I should have done - that the cord of which it's made is elasticated and thus stretchy. Which means that it covers over bulky items in the boot of my car very well. NB I also use it attached to a pulley, to lift things up into and and down from my attic, through the attic hatch. Very handy.

Talking To Strange Men
Talking To Strange Men
by Ruth Rendell

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptionally well-written compelling oddity, 23 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Talking To Strange Men (Paperback)
I'm not overly familiar with Ruth Rendell's work, and stumbled across this by chance in the local library. I think it's a fascinating read, exceptionally well-written and shot through with wonderful descriptions of an unnamed city (somewhere in the UK, probably in England) through the changing weather and seasons between winter and the end of summer.

Overall, it combines a fairly standard "husband dumped for former lover" with an initially standard "unexplained murder from years ago" with an original "schoolboys playing at spies". Along with these three major plot lines, other strands intertwine. Although the coincidences that link the strands are possibly a little *too* coincidental, there are some satisfyingly surprising reveals, some unexpected twists and turns, and a well-crafted murky ending.

The writing is quite dark, and the tone quite subdued and restrained. I found it very intelligently written, by which I mean that not everything is explained and much lies waiting to be deduced by the thoughtful reader. There's much less dialogue than in many novels of and about the period, and the author manages to write many passages of descriptive prose that deserve careful, loving reading. Especially the description of the city, as mentioned earlier.

An excellent book.

The Stonor Eagles
The Stonor Eagles
by William Horwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read - for those wise in life, 27 July 2011
This review is from: The Stonor Eagles (Paperback)
Like many born in the 1960s, I first read this book soon after it came out, when I was a very young 20 year old. I found it a little laboured and slow, and many of the emotional aspects passed straight over me.

Now, in my mid 40s, I have re-read it .... and it means so much more to me now. Now that I have experienced love, and loss, and grief, now that I have a far wider understanding of what life is about - only now can I understand the the full depth and grandeur of the novel.

Yes, it is still a slightly laboured tale. Yes, it still has those odd multiple endings that Horwood seems to like. Yes, some of the mystical writing (the eagles' god Haforn puts in several appearances) gets a little irksome. However, most of the writing is beautifully lyrical, the characters are so engrossing and it draws you in so much ... well worth re-reading if you're prepared to empathise with the story.

Panasonic TX-26LXD70F Replacement Remote Control by RemotesReplaced
Panasonic TX-26LXD70F Replacement Remote Control by RemotesReplaced
Offered by Remotes Replaced

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement remote control is excellent, 13 Nov. 2010
We lost the remote control for our Panasonic Viera TX-26LD70. We were very surprised to find that an official replacement from Panasonic would cost well over 60 pounds (sterling). This replacement remote control has everything we need on it, and works exactly like the lost one. And it also feels comfortable in the hand, it feels like good quality, and does not look or feel like a cheap replacement. It even comes with two batteries.

Disclaimer 1: yes, many of the buttons are not in the same place as the original remote control, but we've got used to that.

Disclaimer 2: we use this remote control to control only the television. We don't have a DVD or similar attached to the telly, so cannot comment on how this remote control works with that.