Profile for David F. Williams > Reviews

Content by David F. Williams

David F. Williams "vincent_smalls" (Liverpool)

Armada
Armada

1.0 out of 5 stars Stop and turn back..., 31 July 2015
This review is from: Armada (Kindle Edition)
This book is just awful. Awful! I didn't even finish it. In stark contrast to Cline's popular and rather fun and inventive first novel, Ready Player One, Armada misses the target entirely. Unoriginal, boring and badly, badly written. Just don't.

Pan's Labyrinth [HD DVD] [2006] [US Import]
Pan's Labyrinth [HD DVD] [2006] [US Import]
Offered by Fantastic Films and Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film... woeful hd dvd, 6 Aug. 2009
Pan's Labyrinth is a superb film. As most reviews on this site tell you. HOWEVER I must make note that the american import HDDVD has clearly had no quality control at all. The movie works and looks beautiful in hi-def. It's just a shame that none of the special features work in my HD DVD player. The reason? You cannot navigate the special features menu. Literally, pushing up, down, left or right simply does nothing. Pressing enter does nothing. You have to press MENU or TITLE to get back to the main menu to do anything! This may work in a HDDVD drive in a computer, where you can navigate spacially with the mouse, but not here. Truly woeful authoring. And as a DVD author and QC of many years I cannot believe this has gone out in this condition and not been recalled. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Still.... great movie!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2009 4:07 PM BST

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Special Edition) [DVD] [1991]
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Special Edition) [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ William Shatner
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars "ianpenaluna" ... it is the correct ratio!, 17 Sept. 2007
Just thought I'd add my two cents here... the film is actually presented in its correct theatrical ratio of 2:1, which is exactly how it appeared on the VHS edition of the film. This is how it was shot, and how it is preserved... Star Trek 2 is still best, but this is a close second.

At War With the Mystics
At War With the Mystics
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars War Of The Pops, 4 April 2006
This review is from: At War With the Mystics (Audio CD)
Having been a long time fan of The Flaming Lips (since 1993's brilliant Transmissions From The Satellite Heart) I have always looked forward to their next and next albums, wondering what new direction they will take. Backstory: Of Their earlier work, Hit To Death In The Future Head (1990) still remains probably their greatest rock n pop work, this was followed by Transmissions which began to take the Lips in the direction they have been following since. Then came Clouds Taste Metallic, an under-appreciated and wonderfully conducted album. The range of instuments and their use had lessened, but the songs remained great, the lyrics unbeatable in their creativity. This was followed by their greatest work Zaireeka. I say greatest for it is their most daring and BIGGEST album they have yet made, keeping their usual lyrical tone and mixing it with instrumental power so great that if you listen to all 4 CDs at once you can seriously get lost in the dreamworld they seem to have created. The Soft Bulletin came next, and this took a little time to warm to... having followed their greatest work, it seemed like a step backward, and yet forward at the same time in that they took what they had learned from Zaireeka and mixed it with what they knew all along. Now to me it stands as a good 4* album with some great pop rythem and wierdness that exemplifies what the Lips are about now. Then Yoshimi came along, the album that really introduced the Lips to a more mainstream audience. This album zipped! I still think it's not as good as their 90's efforts, but it seemed like they were taking a new and interesting direction. It was like nothing else at the time. I was hoping for this pop-blown nuttiness to continue into War Of The Mystics, which lets face it, has been a long time coming. As initial reactions go with Lips albums, I have always been impressed, if not wholly satisfied. I listended to At War With The Mystics this morning, and appart from a few great tracks (The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song and specifically The W.A.N.D) I was very disappointed. Don't get me wrong, there is some pure Lips greatness in there, but it doesn't feel like an album. It feels like an overly long E.P. A couple of cool A-tracks, a bunch of B-sides and some tag-ons. Where was Wayne's lyrical supremeness? Samey. Opting more for repetition and for the orchestral strings to speak for the songs. And I'm sorry if everyone disagrees, but Track 2 (Free Radicals) is just awful. Stop start, stop start... just can't get my head around it. It feels like being trapped inside a computer from the 70s that is slowly breaking down. The album just reminds me of the B-sides to all the singles/E.Ps they realeased for Yoshimi, the tracks that weren't good enough to go on the album. Even some of the good tracks are diminished by their lengthy never-endingness. Sad. I hope it grows on me, I really do, but I had to listen to Transmissions on my way to work to make myself a believer again.