Profile for Rachel > Reviews

Content by Rachel

Rachel "rachel337" (Brighton, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Red Earth & Pouring Rain
Red Earth & Pouring Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lush and Sparkling Wall of Sound, 2 Aug. 2016
I’m going to be really honest. I hadn’t a clue who Bear’s Den were before the evocative album cover for ‘Red Earth & Pouring Rain’ popped up in my iTunes ‘recently released’ feed.

To me, an ardent Stephen King fan, the cover reminded me of ‘Christine’, a novel about a possessed 1958 Plymouth Fury. So of course, I had to click on it and preview, unsure what I would be hearing.

What an unexpected treat. A lush wall of sparkling sound. Immediately listenable, beautifully arranged and whilst undoubtedly modern, has a superbly retro vibe going on; not of the 50’s but of the era Christine was actually written in- the incomparable 1980s where some of the most stylistically diverse and enduring sounds were created.

There are elements of this album, particularly the intros and hooks that hark back and pay reverence to the best of glorious 80’s power ballads. I’m reminded of The Cutting Crew and ‘I Just Died in Your Arms’; Don Henley’s ‘Boys of Summer’ and other such retro delights.

There’s also something in this album that reminds me of the fabulous soundtrack to ‘Drive’; the melancholic and stylistically gorgeous film starring Ryan Gosling and directed by the auteur Nicholas Winding Refn with an award winning soundtrack that sat resolutely on my play list for months after the film’s release.

I’ve been delighted with this album. Superb vocal clarity and heart; superior background arrangements; a sense of longing and melancholy. All in all, an utter delight that is easily accessible, references past 80’s greats and yet is of our time.

How does one describe a sound? Well here, the melange is a heady blend of jangly guitars with a synth back that swells before the vocal emerges. Its the swelling heart in the vocal that speaks of unrequited passion and yearning. The title track has the best use of tambourine since Stevie Nicks shook her moneymaker. The hypnotic Bryan Ferryesque guitar recalls but never imitates his ‘Boys and Girls’ years. At times this is almost pop-y but in a dark, grown-up and brooding way, elevated by intelligent lyrics of a poetic and thoughtful mien.

What I like best though is the raw emotion here and the fact it is sustained across the album. Some albums run from happy to sad, fast to slow across their tracks. Red Earth is a seamless blend of lush sound waves that roll over you like breaking surf, maintaining the momentum and the emotion across the album’s duration. Superb.

The Wolf Road
The Wolf Road
by Beth Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible, unique and scary creation, 23 July 2016
This review is from: The Wolf Road (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The wolf road is a superb read. A real grabber. Intelligent, measured and unique. Yes it's a post apocalyptic thriller but reading, I often forgot this has a future setting. It's like a tale out of the past with as much or more in common with turn of the century Wild West novels or epic survival films like the recent and brutal "The Revenant", than your average post civilisation collapse novel. In fact, so well does Beth Lewis weave her narrative spell that I felt like I'd opened a unique window in the past with this book, only to be startled every time some mention of current items like antibiotics or plastic bags reared their head.

The question of who to trust is put under fascinating scrutiny in 'The Wolf Road". Why do we trust some people and not others? Is it their words, their actions or something as ephemeral as our gut instinct? Trust is a slippery thing. Often misplaced, slow to grow and frighteningly fragile. Above all one often learns, particularly in hard times that you can only trust yourself.

There are several compellingly scary evils for Elka to flee in this novel. A scary "big bad" who may or may not be stalking Elka; the mysteriously driven "long arm of the law"; the evil intent of strangers; the casually indifferent cruelty of the elements but scariest of all are the revelations hidden in Elkas own psyche, snapping at her heels and in glimpses revealing that perhaps the person she should be most afraid of and trust the least lives inside her own unreliable head.

A raw and emotional book, I utterly loved this. It has excitement, scares, horror aplenty. It also has hope, redemption and kindness. The triumph though is the central character of Elka. A brave, tough, complex, vulnerable, intelligent yet uneducated heroine to warm to and root for- even after some utterly shocking revelations about her past. Elka is a triumph as a character. I was utterly gripped by her story. Her voice is what makes the story live and breath. Her heart and compassion to escape the trap she has been caught within and to leave things better than she found them is what drives this compelling tale on.

This book has a uniqueness to it. A cinematic sweep that would reward a skilled filmmaker. The writing is so vivid you can almost smell the woods. "The Wolf Road" has a wild beauty that will live in my memory a long time. Ill be recommending this far and wide. It is beautifully written. Undoubtedly literary yet never staid, always exciting, clever and rewardingly complex.

I'll be waiting with interest for any other works the astonishingly accomplished Beth Lewis creates in future. With one beautiful, unique book she's made it into my favourite author list.

Post-it 63.5cm x 77.5cm Super Sticky Meeting Flip Chart Pads (Pack of 6)
Post-it 63.5cm x 77.5cm Super Sticky Meeting Flip Chart Pads (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Blimey these are monstrous! I mean, truly the Godzilla of post its. Really fab for training or brainstorming. The only problem is storage. You need somewhere pretty big to store them. Oh, and the price tag to match...they aren't cheap but they are effective.

Post-it Super Sticky Notes - Lined Ultra Colours - 4 Pads Per Pack - 45 Sheets Per Pad - 125 mm x 200 mm (colors will vary)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh I love these! Great size, eye popping colour. Brilliant for leaving substantial notes, using for working out things or for moderately epic to-do lists.

Post-it R3301RPT 76mm x 76mm Recycled Z-Notes Pad Tower Pack - Pastel Rainbow (Box of 16, 100 Sheets Per Pad)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bunting, anyone?!, 14 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Useful, gigantic tower of post its. Easy to fit on a desk due to the handy tower casing. Im not a massive fan of these Z note shapes though where the sticky bits alternate side. And if like me you can be a bit heavy handedly enthusiastic when swooping in to write a note, it is easy to drag out more than you wanted, like an over-enthusiastic spin of the toilet paper reel! Post it streamers ensue.

Popband Ponytail Holders, Cocoa
Popband Ponytail Holders, Cocoa

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, not ultra brilliant., 12 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wider than I expected, these do a pretty good job. As advertised, no kinks left in hair. After a reasonable amount of uses they use some of their 'twang' but not much more than averagely priced hair bands. The only thing I don't like much is the colour. I had hoped these would look virtually invisible on my hair (or at least one shade of them would). Unfortunately they've got a pinky purply undertone that's kind of like a 'girls world ' wig. Not naturally coloured at all. For me this loses them one star

Purina Pro Plan Large Puppy Athletic with Optistart Dry Dog Food Rich in Chicken Food, 3 kg

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Decent sized bag. Kibbles are sized down for a pup. Doesn't get wolfed down as fast as other brands. It gets a solid 'OK' verdict but no more.

Texts From Your Ex
Texts From Your Ex
by Unspirational

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 11 July 2016
This review is from: Texts From Your Ex (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This item has the distinction of being the most truly awful book I have ever clapped eyes on. You want funny? Move right along. There's nothing for you here. Instead, you get a sad and desperate reminder of the most uninspiring unkindnesses people can vent on each other.

I mean, scathing wit is something we can all appreciate and being unpleasant can be elevated to a wince-inducingly funny art form. Except to achieve that, the texts would have to be clever and/or funny...they're not original or clever or anything other than petty and unkind.

I work with teenagers and to be honest, their vitriol, inventive insult and scorching wordplay dazzles alongside the padestrian mundanity present here. This is just a nasty and soul-sucking experience. Why anyone would want to preserve such mediocrity in print I have no clue.

I picked this up off the doormat when I got in tonight. Read the entire thing in about 20 minutes and then- I've never ever done this to a book before- threw it straight in the bin.

Cool Factor, The
Cool Factor, The
by Andrea Linett

1.0 out of 5 stars The Tepid Factor, 2 July 2016
This review is from: Cool Factor, The (Paperback)
Lets be clear. I love a good style manual. In my view that's a book that presents a variety of clothing styles for a variety of body shapes and helps you differentiate the ok from the good and the fantastic. Throw in some advice on what to look for in an investment buy and how to pull together an outfit from underpinnings to accessories and voila. This is NOT such a book.

I was deeply disappointed with this. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than analyzing the detail of why a look works, be that fashion forward, classic or one of the myriad versions of 'alternative'. We know it when we see it, even if its a look we would never wear or covet. I enjoy unpicking why things work together to create a particular stylistic vision and ive an open fashion mind.

If your idea of cool is limited to pseudo-grunge and you covet a 24/7 wardrobe from All Saints this is for you. But then if thats you, you don't need this book. You can just go to All Saints and drape yourself perpetually in some of their incomprehensible garments. (Come on, who hasn't had a moment in their changing rooms and gone "Huh?! Looked great on the mannequin but where's that strap go and what exactly is the purpose of that additional flap and OMG I think I've put my head through the arm hole?!" )

If you prefer a bit of variety in your wardrobe and don't live in jeans jeans jeans then I respectfully suggest you save your money. This book is very stylistically restricted.

Rather than taking a range of items like, for example an LBD, showing a range of "cool LBDs" and sharing why they have "The Cool Factor", why this shape works for this body type; why these details elevate it to classic, why this sort of accessory lets you get away with a cheaper option etc it shows only one option as THE ONE.

Unfortunately, women don't come in a standard size (unless you live in this book where despite being various versions of striving for nonchalance but pulling off scruffily unwashed) the "models" are all roughly the same size and proportion.

I bought this book because of the blurb suggesting it would tell you why leather jacket X had the cool factor and leather jacket Y didn't; what to look for in key, expensive but staple investment buys. It doesn't do that.

The build a wardrobe chapter made me wince at the ugliness. If I dressed from that selection at five foot two and busty I'd look like a fire hydrant emulating my Uncle Ted.

If you're looking for a good style manual it is still my opinion that two by Harper's Bazaar can't be beaten: "Great Style" and "Look Fantastic at Any Age". Unlike "The Cool Factor" these are how to guides and cater to a variety of stylistic tastes, ages, budgets and body shapes giving true education in where to spend your hard earned cash to build an effective wardrobe.

By contrast, The Cool Factor feels like a vanity project from someone with limited imagination and a fairly staid fashion viewpoint. For me, that's not cool at all.

Post-it 653-1Y 38mm x 51mm Recycled Notes Pads (1 Pack of 12 pads , 100 Sheets Per Pad)

2.0 out of 5 stars Titchy, 28 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know this will sound absurd but i've never tried this size of post-it before. Upon experimentation I've worked out they're the kind of thing you buy thinking it will be useful and then keep getting drawn to something else. Too small. Too fiddly. Constantly getting lost in my desk clutter. Not for me. If you're looking to index a document they're useful. If you've really small handwriting and are prone to strict neatness then you'll love these. There's nothing wrong with them if you need a twitchy post it but I prefer the square size, the middle size rectangle and the A5 size, which I lovingly refer to as my 'giant mutant post-its....'

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20