Profile for Chris W. > Reviews

Content by Chris W.

Chris W. "The Duke" (Herts UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Smugglers and Bounty Hunters
Smugglers and Bounty Hunters

4.0 out of 5 stars A Mutinous collection from TMTCH, 17 Aug. 2012
If you are a die hard TMTCH fan you will already have this in your collection anyway. If you have never heard of them and are reading this because of an automated suggestion then I would personally try Majestic Grill which is a best of TMTCH compilation. Even better go for Waiting For Bonaparte, Silver Town or The Domino Club to get the idea how superb this band really is at putting an album together with a similar but not too constrictive theme! It is a shame they never made it really big. Paul Simmons is ther best song writer I have known. The story telling lyrics keep you interested all the way through. They are superb live and once you have seen them live you will want this live compilation as it captures their inner essence and raw talent superbly. This is a band that really love their fans and their fans really love them! Enuff said!

Let It Bee
Let It Bee

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bee's Knees!, 25 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Let It Bee (Audio CD)
This was a great album when it came out. I really only bought this as an upgrade from my original tape to CD. I wish I had done this earlier. It's a great album. Typical Beehive's repetoire of bad relationships in the song's themes with twangy guitars etc.. Maybe a few Bee sides as extra tracks would have been a nice addition!

Denis Wick DW5504 Cornet/Trumpet Straight Mute
Denis Wick DW5504 Cornet/Trumpet Straight Mute
Offered by East Midlands Music Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Blowing your own trumpet too loud!, 25 Jun. 2012
Being a complete trumpet novice I bought this to please my wife and her ears. When I first tried it we thought it made no difference until we removed it. There is a difference and it is noticeably a bit quieter. It seems to feel different when you play it too. Don't make the mistake I made thinking this would give it a lovely Jazz club wah-wah sound. I think you probably need a wah-wah mute. Will have to investigate that!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2012 7:36 PM BST

Firework
Firework

3.0 out of 5 stars She can't sing live!, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Firework (MP3 Download)
Katy Perry is very much pop and this song was a freebie for me and I bought it at the request of my wife who puts this on to help motivate with the housework. Women are very strange but at least the downstairs hall is spotless now!

Wonderwall
Wonderwall

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro fun!, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Wonderwall (MP3 Download)
I only bought this due to getting a free download voucher. I remember the song when it came out and people thinking this was the original was covered by Oasis. Silly, but as it goes it's a great cover completely changed from the original genre. I think this works in a good way like The Stranglers covering Walk on By or Gun covering Word Up. Not like Scissor Sisters covering Comfortably Numb which was so wrong!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Blues Juice, 19 April 2012
You can really tell the difference between ordinary valve oil and a good quality one! The free oil that came with my trumpet is no-where near as good as this oil! The free one does the job but you have to use it almost twice weekly but this one does actually last longer as stated in the other reviews! Definitely worth buying!

SuperSlick TSG Tuning Slide Grease
SuperSlick TSG Tuning Slide Grease
Offered by Whixt LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Little Pot!, 19 April 2012
The stuff works great and the only thing I could add to the review already done is make sure you read the quantity measure before buying as the tub is quite small which can't be discerned from the picture! It's about the size of a golf ball, maybe slightly smaller. For the price, it's not an amazing bargain but a fair price for the right stuff to keep your brass instrument tip top!

Amsco Trumpet Fingering Chart (Amsco Fingering Charts)
Amsco Trumpet Fingering Chart (Amsco Fingering Charts)
by Brenda Murphy
Edition: Sheet music

3.0 out of 5 stars Fingering Chart Success, 19 April 2012
To be really honest, this is probably not a must have for trumpet players even if they are complete novices like myself because you can download and print off a number of fingering charts and useful docs free of charge from the internet and just print them off. It's just a better quality version really and would last a bit longer. It look very professional and tidy. I would suggest tacking it to a wall with the fingering chart facing out so you can practise or use it folded out on a music stand even. If you don't mind spending a bit of money and want something that looks nice to help you learn then treat yourself!

Odyssey OTR140 Trumpet Outfit
Odyssey OTR140 Trumpet Outfit
Offered by Hayes Music

4.0 out of 5 stars First Trumpet?, 19 Feb. 2012
Have wanted to learn the trumpet for a long time now and finally bought this one to see how I get on! It is at the lower end of the price range which is a sensible move if you don't know much about trumpets and are a complete beginner. (NB. I do have some musical experience as I have been playing guitar for 20+ years and this may have a bearing on the word "beginner"). Anyone who has been playing a while will tell you to spend more but if you get really good then you'd probably upgrade anyway. After taking a few lessons from youtube I managed to get on OK and get a good bright sound out of it! The neighbours seem to appreciate it too. They told me in morse code banging on the adjoining wall how much they like my practising! Have now had it for about 3 weeks and I am finding it addictive, it is so much fun! It's a good buy for any beginner, young and old and is reasonably priced. It has all you need to get going such as the cloth, oil etc. Not sure about the need for gloves though, a bit pretentious if you ask me. Anyway they don't fit so will just use them for challenging people to a duel if they don't like my playing! Think they should replace the gloves with a cleaning brush or slide grease. that would be more practical for trumpet playing and maintenance! Overall, it's worth it!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2015 9:38 AM GMT

Wish you were here
Wish you were here

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was here sooner!, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Wish you were here (Audio CD)
Will get to the point! The remastered original album is crystal clear as with the other albums. The reason I bought this was for the 2nd CD of live tracks and alternate versions. The sound quality is very good and was very interesting to hear the precursors to the Animals album. Think Stephane Grappelli could have done a better job, after all it is the Floyd! Have a cigar sounds like an interesting demo but Roger's voice would have sounded better on the original release (just a personal opinion!). The Household Objects track just proves how talented Pink Floyd really were. It sounds quite haunting and shows how innovative they were in using sound effects on all their albums. I mean, only Pink Floyd can repeat a single chord or note over and over and still sound interesting!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12