Profile for Northline > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Primrose Green
Primrose Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Fallen For The Hype, 30 April 2015
This review is from: Primrose Green (Audio CD)
I have tried to like this - but no much how I try I just hear all the influences mentioned from Tim Buckley to Miles Davis and can't get over this - surely just buy the original masters - Buckley, Morrison, Jansch, Graham, Davis etc.. Possibly for a new generation it is good that Ryley Walker opens up this music to them but for a 40 something like myself it is more difficult.
I have read from many reviews across various mediums how this really is just a work in progress and Walker's sound will develop and progress (how these people can foresee this I don't know). I hope he does, but for me I cannot really see it.

You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense
You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure quality at every level, 4 Feb. 2015
Sometimes you stumble across an album that just ticks all the boxes, this is it.

Lost Domain
Lost Domain

5.0 out of 5 stars Downpatrick's Favourite Son, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Lost Domain (Audio CD)
I was going to write a review but after reading Andy Sweeney's review in which he has done in a very articulate heartfelt way I thought I might instead just promote along with everyone else how fantastically warm and tender this album actually is. The CD is also packaged beautifully with obvious care and consideration given. Lost Domain is a little gem really, from Downpatrick's favourite son.

Beauty & Ruin
Beauty & Ruin

5.0 out of 5 stars Still The Master, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Beauty & Ruin (Audio CD)
Hooks, lines, sweet chord changes, loud and fast what is there not to love - Still the best and still the master.............brilliant!

Colfax
Colfax

5.0 out of 5 stars Leave them all behind..., 28 April 2014
This review is from: Colfax (Audio CD)
Willy Vlautin is simply an inspiration to anyone who believes in achieving their dreams - for Willy it is writing heartfelt stories that are filled with warmth and compassion of everyday people. Playing music in one of the greatest bands on earth Richmond Fontaine (which get better and better with age). Success has come in his 40's and he deserves it all. Colfax is just another example of his talent a superb album of beauty. Willy Vlautin has been championed by Uncut magazine and rightly so, everyone else is taking a long time to catch up. He has the right now to be spoken about in the same breath as Tom Waits, Springsteen (Nebraska era), and the artists that inspired him - The Blasters, X, Bottle rockets, Uncle Tupelo, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash etc.. Everything he has released music or book is pure quality and a very humble friendly guy as well - buy it all you will not be disappointed.

English Oceans
English Oceans

3.0 out of 5 stars Southern Change, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
I believe DBT have found a new audience with English Oceans and I am pleased for them. For fans like me who first heard the first birth of DBT through the previous band Adam’s House Cat and the brilliant song ‘Runaway Train’ there has been much change. The first two albums Gangstabilly & Pizza Deliverance are superb in terms of great songs and stories. Their sound became a little more country rock after these albums with the brilliant Southern Rock Opera which I suppose defined DBT’s sound and image as a band from Deep South Alabama and their so called Southern Thing! Jason Isbell then arrived which brought a much needed more melodic sound and the brilliant Decoration Day, The Dirty South and A Blessing and A Curse. (Best albums to date).

Then in my opinion (and it is only my opinion) since Jason Isbell left their albums have about 3 to 4 great songs on them and the rest are diluted versions of what went before. For me English Oceans falls into this category – the only songs I have enjoyed on this album which are classic DBT songs are - When He's Gone, Primer Coat and Pauline Hawkins, the rest are just rock jams (and they seem to have found a new audience as I say with this, maybe no one else is doing this at the moment – but to me it is uninspiring, done before and non-melodic rock).

Brighter Than Creations Dark is a poor album apart from a couple of songs and Shonna Tucker cannot sing, she has a weak voice and it is out of tune!

Go Go Boots is poor apart from one classic song – Patterson Hood’s – Used to be a cop.
The Big To-Do – Birthday boy – that is it.

I believe Patterson Hood’s last solo album had more of the early DBT’s sound and that to me was what DBT were all about – Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance. Jason Isbell’s solo albums especially the last Southeastern are to me are far better quality than DBT’s output for the last number of albums.

Overall we are all entitled to our opinions and inevitably some people may have only discovered DBT and think they are the best thing since ‘cornbread’ and I am not going to stand in their way, but for me I don’t get excited about them anymore. I have seen them live a number of times and to be fair it is a great experience they give a 100%, but if you don’t like their recent output it can end up becoming an endurance to watch them live rather than an uplifting experience, hence I won’t be going to see them live this year in the UK – but for new audiences and fans who still love them enjoy, at least as a band and as people they are the real deal!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2014 4:09 PM BST

Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son - Deluxe Edition
Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son - Deluxe Edition
Offered by wilfsiddle

2.0 out of 5 stars Inevitable, 24 Jan. 2014
Where Shall You Take Me?On My Way To AbsenceRehearsals For DepartureGHOST OF DAVIDWaters Ave. S.Gathered in SongCaught in the Trees [VINYL]

Since Saint Bartlett I have become more frustrated with Damien Jurado's albums, and Brothers and Sisters for ME is a step too far into 'space rock' etc.. It is a disjointed album - the best songs being Silver Katherine, Silver Joy & Silver Timothy which in my eyes are more Damien Jurado. At the end of the day it is his music and he does want he wants, Damien probably will increase his fan base which I can only wish him well. Before the comments start saying 'Damien cannot keep doing Ghost of David' all I can say is that is the beauty of Damien Jurado's songs that is exactly what he does not do. He can play raw acoustic songs and each album he brings something different to each album. I am talking about all albums before Saint Bartlett. Maybe he wants to explore, expand his sound and who am I to stand in his way. For me it does not work, Richard Swift I don't believe has made Damien's music any better, richer - it just sound more now like Fleet Foxes etc and he has taken the mystery away from Damien Jurado's music. Time for us both to move on, thanks for the memories Damien.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2015 11:19 AM BST

Still Fighting The War
Still Fighting The War

5.0 out of 5 stars Music For Good People, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Still Fighting The War (Audio CD)
I have been listening to this Slaid Cleaves latest album for about three weeks now - it just grows and grows and gets better with every listen. The music is all Slaid, a little bit if country, a little bit of folk, a little blues/rock. The difference is Slaid Cleaves use of words in a song, his sentence construction is so powerful (poetry - maybe). It is as good as any of Slaid Cleaves albums.

Me I only got into Slaid Cleaves about a year ago,(a late adopter) but I am so glad I did. There are a lot of singer/songwriters that fall into this genre, I do have to say though he is the best by a country mile (no pun intended). He is playing in the UK in around October, if you get the chance go and seem him you will not regret it. This album is a good place to get the overall sound of Slaid, but check out other such as 'Brokedown' 'Wishbones' and 'Everything you love will be taken away'. By the way the last album I have mentioned might not get fantastic reviews but Slaid can't keep doing 'Brokedown' all the time, it is a great album.

Goodbye Normal Street
Goodbye Normal Street

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class!, 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Goodbye Normal Street (Audio CD)
Why the Turnpike Troubadours have not had more exposure after three superb albums is beyond me. I found them accidently through an Amazon recommended link whilst searching for Jason Isbell's new album, I have now all 3 of the Troubadours albums. I have not experienced the same level of good music (genre), I am trying to avoid saying country, folk etc.. but I can't and I have said it since Uncle Tupelo (I believe they are that good).

The industry is now awash with mediocre alternative country acts that get rave reviews and frankly they have 2 or 3 good songs on their albums and the rest are painting by numbers, but magazines like Uncut, The Word, Mojo etc.. are falling over themselves to find the next Ryan Adams. Turnpike Troubadours do not fall into this category - they are in a league of their own - pure genius.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the melody and harmony?, 7 May 2013
Judging by the reviews I'm obviously not getting it? I have played it over and over again and have tried to get into it but I just can't. I find it bland and dull (bar a couple of songs). There is none of the melody and harmony that graced North Hills and Nothing Is Wrong (which I love). I wanted this to be great and it is not. It is also over produced and over polished which has taken out the soul of the band. This may have been their big production number but it has just left me indifferent and detached. A disappointed fan.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3