Profile for S DHARM-DATTA > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Offered by WhiteFay

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID like the plague! Slows down to sub HD speeds within months., 19 Mar. 2015
Zero stars for this product.

Dreadful piece of rubbish. I should have bought a MLC SSD like the 840 PRO or any Intel or Sandisk, Crucial drive. This TLC drive slows down within months ( I have had it for 3 months at time of writing this review). I have applied the latest firmware and the performance patch that was supposed to mitigate the slowdown problem prior to cloning my boot partition over.

However MS Word now takes 40s to load, which is ridiculous (took less than 2s when freshly cloned to this hard disk). There are supposedly tricks like using DiskFresh that rewrites all your data back to the SSD to "refreshen" the data in the TLC but this is not a long-term strategy. I would avoid Samsung TLC like the plague till it is sorted out but Samsung have a famously short attention span and I doubt it will be fixed.

All the glowing reviews are of 840EVOs within a few days of installation. 3-6 months down the line, I am sure they are now slower than the rotating hard disks they replaced.

Ironically the Samsung 830 240GB SSD I already have in another machine (classic MLC instead of TLC) works great still 3 years down the line.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2015 1:43 PM BST

Vakind® Ultra thin Slim Bluetooth3.0 Mouse 3D Optical 1600 DPI for PC Android 4.0+ Phone Tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and works with Win 8.1 tablet without dropping connection, 3 Jan. 2015
Fantastic price.

Works great with a Lenovo Miix 2 Win 8.1 tablet for when I need to use it in desktop mode and need something more accurate to point at icons than my phat finger. The mouse is slimline so can be easily carried in my bag without hogging too much space, yet is ergonomic and easy to use for extended periods when needed.

Having used a cheap Bluetooth mouse with another Win 8.1 device and getting frustrated that it kept dropping the connection when it went into powersaving mode, I am delighted that this keeps the connection even when the tablet goes into deep sleep mode and is awakened without having to disable any power management stuff in control panel.

Zotac ZBOX NANO CA320 Micro AMD® 1000 MHz , RADEON HD8250
Zotac ZBOX NANO CA320 Micro AMD® 1000 MHz , RADEON HD8250
Offered by UKStocked

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine attempt at a silent PC but you do trade off snappiness and oomph feeling..., 3 Jan. 2015
I would actually rate it between 3 to 4 stars.

It comes as a barebone device (i.e. no RAM or hard drive), and I paid £166 from Amazon. I have added a Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600MHz SODIMM (around £55 from Amazon) as a single stick (single channel RAM slot) and an old Intel X25-M 80GB SATA-II SSD that I had repurposed from my desktop.

The case can be opened by hand (without tools) and the 2.5" bay opened with a screwdriver, SSD installed, and the SODIMM inserted into its slot. It is then ready to go.

I used the Microsoft Windows 7 USB tool to clone a valid x64 Win7 DVD-ROM to 4GB flash stick (to avoid having to buy a USB DVD drive to install Windows), set the BIOS to boot from USB (not too sure how to use UEFI Win 7 which was an alternative to legacy BIOS in the options), and let Windows install. I added all the drivers from the Zotac website (although the package includes a DVD of the drivers), apart from the latest AMD Radeon drivers, which I got from the AMD website directly.

Impressions:
Silent.
Slow (and I was installing to SSD).
Could really do with turboing up to 1.4Ghz (Win 7 "All CPU Meter" gadget resolutely shows CPU capped at 1GHz).
Win 7 updates take ages to unpack and install (compared to a Lenovo E525 quadcore Llano 1.5GHz with Samsung 840 SSD).
Apart from installing and updates, feels okay in normal use (running Chrome, IE, LibreOffice etc).
Hi-def Netflix and Amazon Prime video stutters, even when connected directly via LAN ethernet. SD okay.
Connectivity good - 1Gb ethernet socket, Wireless ac.

Overall, it is good enough for my parents (for whom it was intended) but I would not use it as my (secondary) PC. I am sorry to say this as I love AMD products but the 1GHz cap on CPU clocks really keeps it slow. I don't know if Zotac could improve the BIOS so it turbos higher within its thermal limits (e.g. comparing with Samsung Ativ Book Lite, which uses the same tablet/laptop CPU but allows the CPU to run at 1.4GHz when connected to mains).

I have had it a week and will write more in a few months of usage.

NWNK13 (TM) Apple iPhone 5 / 5S Clear / Transparent Tpu Jelly Rubber Gel Skin Case Cover Plus Screen Protector & Cleaning Cloth
Offered by MobySpares

5.0 out of 5 stars The actual gel case is great, and shows off the gold iPhone 5s well, 2 July 2014
The actual gel case is great, and shows off the gold iPhone 5s well.

The included separate screen protector is a slightly opaque film that although I applied correctly with no bubbles, removes the clarity of the screen a lot. I will remove the film and replace with a purpose-bought clear film.

Still 5 stars for the gel case as that is all I thought I was getting.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the price!, 30 Jun. 2014
I was always put off by the price of weightlifting shoes. However for less than a £100, these Adidas shoes are perfect. They give rock-solid stability on a lifting platform with no wiggle or give that a trainer would (or even rigid boots that I used to use for lifting). There is no slip on a platform either - the rubber sole is suitably sticky. The heel wedge (raise) is perfect to get the right depth (thighs below parallel) that I struggled with when wearing boots, especially as my ankle joint does not dorsiflex like it used to.

This has added some much needed weight to my squats and made reaching depth that bit easier. Very happy powerlifter!

Anker® 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Nokia and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for 5 port USB charger, 7 May 2014
I use it to charge a Lenovo Miix 2 8" tablet, 9.7" iPad 4, iPhone 4 and HTC mobile phone all at the same time. It charges the iPad quicker than I recall the stock Apple charger doing so.

Reduces clutter at the wall and stops me plugging and unplugging adapters from the wall socket.

"One charger to rule them all..."

Samsung ATIV Book 9 Lite 13.3-inch Laptop - Black (Quad Core 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thin and light laptop for the price!, 2 Jan. 2014
I bought this because it was cheap and light (and to replace a Lenovo Yoga 11S with dodgy wi-fi that is a problem with the whole Yoga family). I was prepared that it might be a bit slow...

However I was surprised just how nippy it is! Thankfully at this price range, Samsung have included an 128GB SSD instead of a HDD and it really boots up quickly, loads applications snappily etc. Once applications are installed, they run fine e.g. Microsoft Office. The SSD makes a world of difference to the user feel of responsiveness.

If you do CPU-specific tasks such as video/photo editing, this will be too much (much like asking an iPad to do the same). The white-label CPU is an AMD A6-1450, Temash (Jaguar) quadcore (i.e. a tablet-class CPU, albeit x86-64, not ARM). 4GB RAM is okay for the work demanded of this kind of laptop. If you are happy to web-browse, use Office and install undemanding applications (i.e. not games), it is fine. The only time I have noticed it to be slow is installing updates that have downloaded to the hard-drive, but thankfully Windows Updates from Microsoft are just once/month.

It's best to think of this as a tablet with an attached keyboard, rather than a gaming or video editing machine. However that might be all you need and it fits the bill fine.

Other things: Graphics seem smooth e.g. scrolling complicated long PDFs; it runs silently with the fan never switching on in the time I have used it; it has an adapter included to convert the mini-Ethernet port to full-size, allowing you to connect it in hotels, work etc where they have wired ethernet but no wi-fi (often cannot be done with a thin Ultrabook). I am pleased to mention that its wi-fi connectivity is solid!

I have taken 1 star off as I really think it should have an IPS screen (even at this price range), not the TN screen that it has. I don't mind the 1366x768 at 13" screen but the TN screen results in poor viewing angles - at right angles it is fine, but to the sides, the colours change).

This review applies to the non-touch screen version.

The Soul of a New Machine (Modern Library)
The Soul of a New Machine (Modern Library)
by Tracy Kidder

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning account of early computer design, 13 Jun. 2013
I read this book based on the mention in Shippy and Phipps' book about the PPC CPU in the Xbox 360 and PS3 (The Race for a New Game Machine). It is obvious where this later book takes its inspiration (it is laid out in a similar manner). However the original is the best.

This book is an account by Kidder, a non-techie journalist, of building a 4.5 MHz 32-bit computer, The Eagle, in the late 70s from discrete logic gates and before the advent of modern CPUs (like the Motorola 68000, Intel 8086).

The work to build such a computer is chronicled wonderfully, like a mission to the moon or deep below the sea. It starts with the project manager (Tom West), then his deputies and drills down to the juniors who designed the ALU, cache (each occupied a separate logic board in the day) etc (all from discrete logic gates!) and the team who wrote the microcode.

It tells the story from a non-technical viewpoint although you can recognise the design characteristics in a modern cpu. It is part historical account, part management lesson, part how to motivate the troops. It still stands up to being read 30 years after it was written about a now-long dead computer!

Buy it and enjoy the read.

p.s. It inspired me to install Colossal Cave Adventure which they used to debug The Eagle on my Raspberry Pi.

Technology Review
Technology Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and thought provoking, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Technology Review (Kindle Edition)
I find this bimonthly (i.e. every 2 months, not twice a month - that would be fortnightly! - note to previous reviewer) magazine a useful and nicely condensed summary of new things happening in technology that is available in an easily packaged readable format offline (i.e. on my hardware Kindle or on the kindle app on my Android phone).

The articles are usually all of interest. Some are long in-depth articles ~2-4000 word length and then there are many more short articles in the ~400 word length. I could probably gather the same info from their website or from others for free but this e-magazine puts everything in one place. The editorial input to make these collection of articles work as a coherent magazine is also a sterling effort.

Happy 40th Birthday Intel 4004
Happy 40th Birthday Intel 4004

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but bring the price down!, 23 Jun. 2012
I found a very interesting story of how Intel has got to where it has.

The colour pictures are fine on a Kindle app on iPhone or Android but are pretty hopeless on the mono screen of a hardware Kindle, but I cannot hold that against the team at The Register.

I appreciate one can read the pages for "free" from The Register website but I feel there is a benefit to put some of the well-researched stories into e-book format so they can be read without adverts and an always on connection to the website (e.g. when on a train or plane). I would much prefer they were priced at £1.00 however as I feel that makes it an easy impulse purchase rather than thinking about it, umming and ahhing, and then not bothering.

Over to you guys at The Register - fancy bringing your prices down so more people buy these.

Page: 1 | 2