Profile for Scarlie > Reviews

A Long Way Down
A Long Way Down
by Nick Hornby

3.0 out of 5 stars Odd but nice, 11 Aug. 2006
This review is from: A Long Way Down (Paperback)
A disgraced TV presenter's plan to end it all is thwarted by the arrival of a stranger with the same plan, and then another, and yet another. The mood is spoiled (suicide being by & large a lonely affair) so they take, mostly unwillingly, the long hard way back to their lives.

The only thing I find unlikely in the story is that initial meeting (but that's why it's called fiction). The rest: the fact that once together they don't jump, they keep in touch even if tortorous, the state of their own lives, etc., does not require a leap of faith.

I enjoyed reading the book, even if I didn't find all the characters likeable (that girl just drove me up the wall). It's fresh & thought-provoking; and despite the seemingly heavy topic, it's perfect for holidays.

Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour
Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour
by Kate Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on the spot, 5 July 2006
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. It's funny, intelligent and as far as my experience goes, very very true. It would benefit English and non-English alike because it dissects and explains the behaviour of the English, which is generally as clear as their famous tea... I even had to laugh at some of the traits I have picked up while living in Britain. And anything that makes you laugh at yourself surely deserves a read!!

This is a scientific study, but to my delight and Ms Fox's credit, it doesn't read like one. Thankfully, all the PC is dumped on the first few pages, so I was in for a very cheeky entertainment.

Yes Man
Yes Man
by Danny Wallace

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for the idea..., 5 July 2006
This review is from: Yes Man (Paperback)
I liked the basic premise of the book - 'say Yes more'. Being a die-hard sceptic, I was suprised I actually bought the book, and even more suprised I got to read it all... The beginning is inspiring & catchy, but after a while it gets a bit predictable (even exciting predictability is boring!), so I left it aside for a few weeks and then continued.... the end was not much, but by then you are hooked up at the idea, so it didn't matter I scanned the pages. The writing is fresh but somewhat uneven, and at times downright annoying... the characters are quirky and very accessible; you'll find some common friends too, like the murdered sultan's son...

So why read it? well, because it's insiring, it's accessible, will make you laugh (or giggle, or snort) and you'll pick up tips on how to become a nurse and a minister...

come on, just say Yes...