Profile for Phil > Reviews

Content by Phil

Phil (Wales, United Kingdom)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaving Costs Less than £1 per year!!!!!, 16 Feb. 2015
I converted to Double Edge Safety razors about 2 & 1/2 years ago. I have been very happy with the results but still felt that I wasn't getting the best shave possible. I tried lots of different oils (I don't like foam or mucking about with brushes etc.) and eventually settled on shaving in the shower without any shaving product at all. By chance I bought my four year old daughter a net type loofah (a bit like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Umiwe-Single-Sponge-Random-Accessory/dp/B00HZEP2BQ/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1424112136&sr=8-23&keywords=loofah). I cleaned my face with it one day and found that shaving was easier. I did't use any soap on the loofah

So then I got thinking and made a bit of a leap of faith; I washed my face in the shower using the loofah and then shaved in front of the mirror with no product at all. Lo and behold I am suddenly getting the best and most comfortable shaves ever. My skin is better, razor rash on my neck is disappearing and because I can see exactly what is happening, I don't seem to get the little nicks I used to get.

I bought a box of these blades in April 2014 and I have used about 25 blades so far. I shave about 3-4 times a week. Since I have been shaving the way I describe above. I am getting at least 10-15 shaves per blade so the total cost of my shaving for the year should work out at less than £1! Got to be happy with that.

I know it might be a little daunting to try shaving with no product, and I can only comment on my own skin, but I think that as long as you clean your face with a loofah then there is nothing to stop the razor from gliding smoothly over your face. Just remember to pull your skin tight as you go and hopefully you won't have any problems.

I hope some of you give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.

SwissGold Coffee Filter - one cup, reusable - KF300
SwissGold Coffee Filter - one cup, reusable - KF300
Offered by WOWOOO

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to make good coffee anywhere., 12 Oct. 2012
It is such a simple product yet I did have some fun working out how to get the best from it. I use a finely ground coffee (to be honest, I haven't tried anything else yet). My theory is that the finer the grind the better as there will be more surface area for the water to make contact with, therefore more flavour will be released. I have no scientific evidence for this, it is just a theory I have come up with.

I use the plastic lid from an instant coffee jar to compress the coffee in the filter before I start to pour the water through. It is kind of ironic that something from instant coffee helps the flavour of my 'real' coffee. By compressing the coffee the water filters through much slower. I believe that this makes for a better flavour. I pour the water in about an inch at a time. I find this works better than filling the filter in one go. Once again, I have no scientific evidence for this, it just feels right. I find it quite therapeutic to spend just a couple of minutes thinking of nothing else but how to make the best coffee I can. The only thing that tops that is drinking the results!

Washing up is stupidly simple. Once you have mastered this filter you will never want to drink an instant coffee again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Product, 13 Mar. 2012
I purchased this razor after doing some research into different methods of shaving as I was not having much luck with the multi-blade cartridges I was using. I looked into shaving with a cut-throat but decided in the end to go with a safety razor. I am really happy with this product. The handle is not slippery at all and I like the weight. I have been using this for about three weeks now and I am only my second blade (I don't shave every day though). I find that because I can shave so close I can go an extra day without shaving. I have only had one little cut on my top lip but that was no more than I used to get from my old razor. I recommend you watch a couple of You Tube videos first. I like the videos by geofatboy.

In an attempt to save even more money I now use only olive oil to shave with. I get a close & comfortable shave, my skin is left soft and it costs next to nothing. It works for me. I know people say that they enjoy using the soap and brush and turning time spent shaving into an enjoyable activity but I can find better ways to enjoy my spare time. Also me being a bit of a cynic, I noticed that most of the men recommending the products were also trying to sell the products. Yes, I spent a few pounds on the Edwin Jagger Razor but that should last a lifetime. If I buy 100 Derby blades for less then £10 and just use olive oil, my yearly costs for shaving consumables comes to less than a fiver, plus my face looks and feels better than it ever has. If anyone else tries it, please let me know how you go.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2012 9:03 PM BST

2 Potassium Alum Crystal Deodorant Stones, total weight 100g, Deodorize Sensitive Skin or Shavers Styptic
Offered by Natural Spa Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Product, 9 Mar. 2012
I came across this product while I was researching shaving products with a view to start a new shaving routine with a double edged safety razor. I have very sensitive skin so I need something that will be gentle. This product fits the bill. It does sting a bit, but not much, and it stops any little nicks from bleeding. It only stings where I have irritated my face with the razor, so it tells me where I have gone wrong and helps me to improve my shaving technique. I had read about using blocks of alum for the same purpose and the reviews said that you have to wash your face afterwards as there will be a fine coating of powder left on you face once it dries. This doesn't happen with this product because it is a natural crystal and not a formed block of alum powder.

This product is also the best deodorant I have ever used. I work quite hard during the day and exercise four or five times a week. I rub the crystal under my arm in the morning and then after my shower in the evening. I find that there is never any odour under my arms. I was using roll on antiperspirant and always thought that it was just sort of covering up any smells. I never felt fresh. This product has fixed that feeling. From memory it did take a couple of applications to start working but after that it has been working amazingly well.

PS. Be very careful when using this product. Do not drop it or you will be picking up several smaller crystals instead of a nice big one!