Profile for Polly > Reviews

Content by Polly

Polly "Greybeard" (Frimley , Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Bosch Rotak 34 R Electric Rotary Lawn Mower, Cutting Width 34 cm
Bosch Rotak 34 R Electric Rotary Lawn Mower, Cutting Width 34 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Ho, it's off to mow we go!, 8 May 2017
I was forced to replace my old electric mower after a long life of faithful service, and decided by chance to go for Bosch. For a modestly priced machine, it seems reasonably robust and is neatly designed. I particularly like the double folding handle and the grass box that can be broken into two parts for storage.
Initial assembly was straightforward and accompanied by a surprisingly small amount of foul language. Performance is good, the motor spins with a pleasing hum the cut is clean and the cuttings blow back into the grass box in the approved manner. At present I cannot comment with fairness about the finished job, because my lawn is turning brown due to lack of rain and a drying north wind. However, one small surviving patch looks very neat.
All in alI like the machine, it is not heavy to push around, I would be very happy to let my wife use it if I was laid low. It's also a very tasteful shade of Blue/ Green.

DENQBAR Nordic Walking Poles / Telescopic Trekking - Hiking sticks with anti shock (sunset red)
Offered by Denqbar (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pole Walking For Pleasure., 28 Aug. 2016
I had never encountered "Walking Poles " prior to making this purchase for my wife. My first impression was that they were light, easily adjusted and gave just the right amount of gentle support to enable the user to step out with confidence.
As I wrote in my opening, they were purchased for my wife; she is recovering from hip replacement surgery and suffered severe loss of confidence in her ability to walk for pleasure. The poles have helped a great deal. Initially, we had a slight problem with co-ordination and foul language, (my wife is proud of her ability to be offensive in three languages,) but now she is beginning to walk with more confidence with AND WITHOUT (!) her poles.
I personally consider that they are a good idea. They encourage the user to walk with a straight back and swing the legs easily as if marching, they are not an aid like a zimmer frame. They are like a good friend whose company shortens the miles.

Secure Fix Direct 300mm Stainless Steel Hand Rail Pull Handle - Boat Stairs Bathroom Caravan Home
Offered by SecureFixDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars the two welded joints (to hold the two mounting plates) may not be beautiful, but they are strong, 26 Mar. 2016
This handrail or grab handle, whichever term you wish to use, has met all the criteria necessary. Made of stainless steel, it won't rust. The tubing is strong enough not to flex, the two welded joints (to hold the two mounting plates) may not be beautiful, but they are strong. I managed to fix it to the wall next to our back door step with a minimum of foul language and it's immoveable.
Advice for the D.I.Y. fanatic, to fix, all you need is six suitable one-and-a-half inch screws, and a masonry bit for your drill. A large mug of coffee will help steady the nerves, and the job will be done as you take the last glug from your mug.

Downton Abbey - Series 1-5 [DVD]
Downton Abbey - Series 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ups and Downs of Life in the Big House ..., 24 Oct. 2015
I paid little attention to Downton Abbey when it first appeared on our screens, so, more fool me. Now, I am hooked. Julian Fellows has given us a look at life in the final days of the long Edwardian summer when We dashed around doing things to ensure the convenience and comfort of Them. All this comes to an end, the gulf narrows and the twentieth century appears in a welter of fire, shrapnel, mud and young life cut down.
Fellows paints a brilliant picture of the disbelief of Them and the fears of Us, faced by the destruction of a well ordered way of life where everyone knew their Place. So, a good plot line.
The cast are magnificent. None more so than the wonderful Maggie Smith. She IS the dowager. A presence to strike terror amongst the Lower Orders, and given some wittily acidulous put down lines. The rest of the cast are, of course, excellent; to the extent that one feels like a member of both the upstairs and the downstairs families.
A great watch, and there's LOTS of it!

Queen & Country DVD
Queen & Country DVD
Dvd ~ Callum Turner

2.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Believe It!, 21 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Queen & Country DVD (DVD)
I watched this film with growing disbelief as a very shoddy plot unfolded. The characters were, as far as I was concerned , cardboard cut-out stereotypes. I found nothing in the whole production to commend it.
I purchased it after having watched that little gem "Hope and Glory", assuming that it would be a further embroidered episode in John Boorman's life. It was, but the design was poor, and the workmanship was shoddy. If I have offended anyone, I'm sorry; in the early fifties, my military service was still fresh in my mind and it was NOTHING like "Queen and Country".

Homecraft Padded Bath Transfer Bench
Homecraft Padded Bath Transfer Bench

3.0 out of 5 stars I am giving this bath bench a rather poor rating of three stars because it did not meet ..., 19 Oct. 2015
I am giving this bath bench a rather poor rating of three stars because it did not meet with the whole hearted approval of it's potential user. My wife, temporarily laid low with a replaced hip. HOWEVER! This was a well designed and well made piece. It was easy to assemble and simple to use. (What is easier than sitting down and then shuffling ones backside sideways?) It also felt safe when one had arrived at the bath/shower operational end, by virtue of the backrest and the grab rail. A very good piece, but not for us.

BLACK+DECKER B/DGD300 Lawnraker, 600 W, 30 cm - Black/Orange
BLACK+DECKER B/DGD300 Lawnraker, 600 W, 30 cm - Black/Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Success with Black and Decker., 14 May 2015
This Lawnraker is the second one that I have owned. My previous one gave me faithful service for many years, (probably in excess of fifteen,) until one day it just died. This newer, updated model is the same old beast with a slight facelift, i.e. a redesigned handle that folds for easy storage and carries the control switch; bodywork panels (!) now coloured a tasteful orange and a lightweight folding hopper at the front to catch the rakings.
Assembly is easy. I accomplished the task in about twenty minutes and that included a cup of coffee and an argument with next door's cat.
It operates just like the old model; efficiently. I have however one adverse criticism. The scraping height has only three settings. My old one had more so that I was able to fine tune the scrape. This criticism does not detract from the fundamental efficiency of the GD300 Lawnraker; if you have a lawn, it will get a good scraping from the GD300.

Christmas In The Valleys - Christmas With The Welsh Male Voice Choirs
Christmas In The Valleys - Christmas With The Welsh Male Voice Choirs
Offered by Revolution Media

5.0 out of 5 stars This is SINGING !!, 2 Jan. 2014
Forget the enthusiastic and slightly self conscious choirs and singing groups that we encounter during the Festive Season, listen to Quality instead. As we know, or ought to know, a Welsh male voice choir emits a sound that is unique. What is more, they do it with no apparent effort - a sound of controlled power. This C D is not unique, all the titles are familiar, the performance is predictably good, but the two elements combine to produce a feel -good factor (if you will forgive the idiom,) of some magnitude.
Buy it and feel good.
( P.S. I am not Welsh.)

The Confession
The Confession

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Bloodchilling, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Confession (Kindle Edition)
If you ever want to look at the principle of the death penalty, in the United States or indeed anywhere else, please read this book. I do not propose to give you a resume of the plot, or indeed any hint as to the final chapter. In truth, I am reluctant to give the prospective reader a digest of any plot. This is a case in point; you must start to read with no idea what is happening on the next page. Suffice to say that Grisham grabs you, drags you through the pages and by turns raises your hopes and then dashes them to the ground. This is not a book for the faint hearted. There were occasions when I had to put it down and make myself a strong coffee, ( I would have preferred The Scottish Remedy, but there are limits !)
It is well written, the characters are recognisable as real people with real emotions. The plot is centred on Texas and one can feel
the hard fundamentalist attitude of the average Texan. Well, that was the impression that came to me.
I recommend this book to YOU, if you like Grisham, and if you like a cliffhanger . There is also a profound message. It made me feel pretty uncomfortable.

Theodore Boone: Theodore Boone 1
Theodore Boone: Theodore Boone 1

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant read., 2 Dec. 2013
I enjoyed this book. It makes few demands on the reader, however, I had a slight difficulty with our young hero. He was just a little too good to be true and could have stepped straight out of the pages of Boys Own Paper. I wonder if, in real life, any member of any profession would listen to a thirteen year boy introducing fresh information to a case in an attempt to change it's expected outcome? Possibly it might happen in America; but here in the UK, very doubtful.
I say again, this is a well written, enjoyable book with a strong legal / courtroom theme centred on a small town murder case; a theme very much close to the heart of John Grisham.
My advice is, read the book. You will enjoy the flavour of Small Town America. You may also enjoy meeting some of the townspeople. I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4